MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems no matter how long it sits, or even how much is in it, that my dipstick always reads the same. The lower "gauge" part is always covered with thicker layer of oil about half way with oil showing to above it with a little on the twisted cable. Yesterday before going for a drive it I added 1/2qrt at my shop, drove back down the hill to my house to wait on my wife. I let it sit about 30 minutes then checked it. It was like I hadn't added any. We rode about 100 miles yesterday so I checked this morning after sitting all night. Once again the stick showed the same, 1/3 to 1/2 up the gauge area.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure it's the OEM stick?
I can't be 100%, because I didn't buy the car new, but I'm going to say it is. Being how the oil is always at the same level its not being OEM doesn't matter as the stick itself is just a point of reference.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Oil reads differently on the two sides of the dipstick. I think it enters the oil pan at an angle (?). Just for fun, I tried sliding in a normal flat blade style dipstick. It cannot make all the twists and turns to reach the oil pan. I think the best use for the stock dipstick is just to make sure there’s something in the pan. If you want to “calibrate” the dipstick, you can carefully fill it at your next oil change. Capacity is 3.9 quarts with a new filter. Or 3.7 quarts by draining oil pan only.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Oil reads differently on the two sides of the dipstick. I think it enters the oil pan at an angle (?).
I think that maybe the top side gets smeared on the way out. The bottom always has a sharp line of demarkation right after I pull it. At any rate, inserting the gauge consistently and pulling it straight out should give a consistent indication.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Is this the original 1zz?

The only real measurement I found helpful was checking how much oil I got back when I changed the oil. I use a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve so it's easy to collect the oil right back into the same 5L Oil Jug without spilling for easy measuring. You can do this at any interval and calculate how much oil you're consuming/mi. For early 1zz I would assume that it uses oil. My retired 1zz used 0.25L every 2000mi.

Cyclehead's method is probably the best. Not sure if it was him or another member who actually drilled out holes to mark the dipstick (search the forums). I'd recommend getting a new dipstick if yours is old and doesn't feed easily down the tube. It's about $25 if I remember.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this the original 1zz?

The only real measurement I found helpful was checking how much oil I got back when I changed the oil. I use a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve so it's easy to collect the oil right back into the same 5L Oil Jug without spilling for easy measuring. You can do this at any interval and calculate how much oil you're consuming/mi. For early 1zz I would assume that it uses oil. My retired 1zz used 0.25L every 2000mi.

Cyclehead's method is probably the best. Not sure if it was him or another member who actually drilled out holes to mark the dipstick (search the forums). I'd recommend getting a new dipstick if yours is old and doesn't feed easily down the tube. It's about $25 if I remember.
Yes, original 2000 1zz with 125,000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read someone say once...The mr2 dipstick is a precision instrument that will accurately tell you if you have some oil...or none.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts