MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
specifically regarding to the fear of vandalism/torn slashed top. Do you park your car with the doors unlock and of course not leaving anything valuable inside ? or do you lock your spyder and hope for the best :confused:

·
Registered
371 Posts
I always lock the car with nothing in sight.
+1 ^

I also leave the top down at times with the proximity alarm on. Never leave anything in sight, and do not park and then stow valuable items. Thieves watch for that action and will break in with nothing showing looking for what you stashed.

·
Registered
578 Posts
+1 ^

I also leave the top down at times with the proximity alarm on. Never leave anything in sight, and do not park and then stow valuable items. Thieves watch for that action and will break in with nothing showing looking for what you stashed.
Also, put the cigarette lighter back in the socket. An empty socket is a flag that means there's a GPS or some other valuable electronic item in the glove box.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I owned the Spyder for over 5 years. I park it like any other car I own or have owned, with doors locked and everything of value out-of-sight. When I am at home, it is parked in a gated private driveway. Never had any problems with anyone trying to break-in or slice up my top.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I park in that area between two normally parked cars so thieves can't easily get in the car and take anything.

Makes getting out a bitch, though.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I park with the folding sun reflector/visor on the front windshield which blocks from someone seeing inside the car from the front. I Hide all valuables, I keep some trash (wrapper, receipt etc.) on the passenger side to keep the car looking untidy. And of course the stock rims with paint all bubbling off is an awesome safety feature.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Many possible solutions:

FIRST: you could get an attack mutant ninja to protect your MR2...

OR: park next to cars which they (badguys and gals) will jack before they get YOU!

Valet park in a very public place.... which will limit you to mere vomit and not vandalism....

get a garage and park at home:

FINALLY: get the proper headgear and stop worrying about THEM! (bad guys and gals...'cause THEY sense fear!)

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
I use the force to park

90% of the time it is parked inside

roof is always down (except in winter when I leave it up in my garage)

nothing ever in the car lock the glove box and the storage bins

nothing in my car is worth the cost of a cut roof
Same here and when I park I leave the top down and the doors unlocked. The only thing that is locked is the glove compartment and the storage doors if there is anything of value.
We would like to think our cars are valuable on the inside but the reality is nobody wants to break into our cars unless there are valuables in sight that is begging to be stolen. It's the same kind of fear some parents have thinking that everyone wants to rape their kids.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
I owned the Spyder for over 5 years. I park it like any other car I own or have owned, with doors locked and everything of value out-of-sight. When I am at home, it is parked in a gated private driveway. Never had any problems with anyone trying to break-in or slice up my top.
As long as there isn't someone named Zimmerman nearby!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I used to be in the habit of locking my car at all times, but since I had an issue with my alarm on the Arkansas trip, I don't lock it at all. I don't consider my neighborhood to be the best, but people don't bother my stuff and I don't bother theirs, so it's all good.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I totally concur with dev, and mostly with T-Bone.

I don't lock anything and often leave the windows and/or top down.
I have nothing in the car I can't afford to loose.

Closed Top = Invitation to cut it.
Closed Windows = Invitation to smash them.

Face Reality: If someone wants in, they'll get in.
The goal is to minimize repair costs if/when it happens.
So the assumption here is that no one can drive off in our car without the proper programmed keys AND therefore locking is not needed. The problem is forced entry into the car and solution is to keep the options easy. But accessories could be stolen. Audio system, seats, wheels....
IMO Parking the car in a 24 hour crowded area is much better than leaving your doors and windows open, inviting a thief.

Thieves can drive a tow truck and tow your car if they get inside, unlock the steering, take the brakes off, let it slide. The only thing a non programmed key doesn't do is start the engine. It powers all accessories.

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
So the assumption here is that no one can drive off in our car without the proper programmed keys AND therefore locking is not needed. The problem is forced entry into the car and solution is to keep the options easy. But accessories could be stolen. Audio system, seats, wheels....
IMO Parking the car in a 24 hour crowded area is much better than leaving your doors and windows open, inviting a thief.

Thieves can drive a tow truck and tow your car if they get inside, unlock the steering, take the brakes off, let it slide. The only thing a non programmed key doesn't do is start the engine. It powers all accessories.
Most people who would steal anything of value would be seasoned thieves and our car is far from the list of any parts valuable and thus avoided. It's not to say we don't have a great car the problem is there is no market for hot parts from a car with a low production number.

The only thing that would possibly happen is some crackhead trying to make off with some change in the ash tray.
Lets say it was known to thieves that there was a pound of coke in your car then there is not one thing you can do to prevent it's theft.

The only people that need to worry are dumb ricers that advertise a shopping list of aftermarket parts on the side of their car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with 03txspyder and KillaBSpyder: put all the valuable stuff out of sight, and
lock up. I'm not any more worried with the Spyder than I am with my Jeep. If
someone wants to get in... slashed top, smashed window, same pain in the butt to
fix. And I figure leaving the doors unlocked but locking the glove box and/or storage
compartments is just inviting someone to rip those open, which would be a serious
pain in the butt to fix.

Back when I had an MGB, I discovered that leaving a pair of dirty underwear on
the seat kept the thieves away. Well, actually, it was a thief who discovered this.
He coat-hangered the door, groped around the cockpit, found some laundry that
had ended up on the floor after a windsurfing trip, fled in disgust, and I never had
any trouble with people breaking into that vehicle again. Cheaper than a car alarm,
and much more effective, but difficult to explain to dates...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.