MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT.. I've added my Second theory to last part of this Post.. And here is the Official Toyota Version..
http://www.ariclim.com/files/mr2spyder/SMT.pdf

Also Added ECU Pinouts with SMT Pins

http://s312.photobucket.com/user/CapWeir/library/Toyota ECU PDF

I want to understand what the SMT Stuff does.. and how does it do what it does..

The HPU ( Hydraulic Pressure Unit) makes the Pressure for the 'Stuff'.. The pressure Accumulator Stores the Pressure for use in the Shifting and Clutch movement..

The Pressure Accumulator sensor ( 3 Wire type TPS sensor ).. sends the actual pressure of the Hydraulic System to the TCU ( Transmission Control Unit ) to run the Hyd Pump when necessary..

The Master Sol ( I Guess ) is the Master Shut off Valve..

The Clutch Sol pushes and Pulls the Clutch.. PROBLEM.. This is an On/Off Sol.. so if the Sol turns ON, then the Clutch will be Depressed.. Fine.. But if the Sol is Turned Off, then the Clutch will be 'Dumped'.. NOT GOOD .. So the Clutch Sol must be Pulsed.. There is not a 'No Movement' of Clutch Arm..

Now for the GSA.. Gear Select Assembly

I'll Start with the Clutch Stroke Sensor.. Fairly Self Explanatory.. It's a 3 Wire Stroke Sensor, so the TCU knows where the Clutch arm is..
That leaves Three other Sensors.. to Indicate the Movement of the Non Existent Shifter..

We are trying to Indicate the 'Position' of the 'H' pattern of the Shifter.. This can be Done with Only TWO position Sensors.. One for the 'Forward/Backward' movement of the Shift Lever.. the Other can Indicate the 'Left/Right' Movement of the Shift Arm.. I will ASSUME that the Shift Stroke Sensor.. Is for the 'Forward/Backward' Movement of the Shifter{ It is }.. This Leaves the 'Select Stroke' Sensor the be the 'Left/Right' Indicator for the TCU to know where the Shifter is.. { Gate Select Stroke Sensor.. BGB }

This Leaves One More Indicator.. The Master Pressure Sensor.. What is this For?.. We have an Accumulator Pressure Sensor on the HPU.. why the Master Pressure Sensor.. UNLESS that is to check for 'Resistance' of the Shifting Hydraulic Shifter.. to 'Know' when the End if the Stroke is Reached.. { It Is!.. }

A Problem I have next is.. ONLY TWO Sol Valves for the Shifting. We need a Left/Stop/Right selection to get the Selector in the Proper 'Gates' and we also need a 'Forward/Stop/Reverse' for the actual shifting action.. How do you do that with only TWO sol Valves.. I see the Need for 4 Valves.. { Still Don't know this One }

Next is the SHIFT LEVER POSITION Sensor..

Looks Like 5 Switches are Named.. We have a Five Speed Here { I was thinking this was on the Transmission.. It's not.. It's in the Cabin }

And this PDF is taken from the 6 Speed.. Same Number of Switches.. FIVE Switches.. Named LS1,LS2,LS3,LS4,LSw..

Must be Some Sort of 'Switch Matrix' to see where each Gear is.. Or a 'Truth Table'.. { It is.. but for the Interior Sift Selector.. Human Operated }

So the 'Three Wire' Position indicators.. Similar to a TPS, is used to see where the Selector Actually is, and How Fast it's Moving in What Direction.. [ Next Statment is wrong] And the Switch Tells the TCU when the Thing is Actually in Gear.. { nope.. that stuff is to tell the TCU what gear you want }

That would Indicate to me that the TPS Style of Indicators help the TCU to figure out how to get the selectors to each gear 'Smoothly'.. Possably as part of the Learn Process,

I Still have the Problem of ONLY TWO SOLONOID VALVES doing the actual Shifting.. The ONLY thing I can think of is the Hyd Shifter is a Spring Loaded Affair, { It is Not.. } and by 'Pulsing' the Sol Valve Similar to what is Done by the Oil Control Valve in the Cam Timing Stuff.. then we can Shift the Hydraulic Gear Selector By Pulsing it aginst the Spring.. Then it can be Done with Only two Sol Valves.. and the Valves are Actuated by 'PWM' ( Pulse Width Modulated ) scenario.. but that must be done against a Spring.. { Still trying to figure this out }

Back to the Clutch Solenoid.. If this is also Using a PWM logic, then the Single Sol Valve will work for the Clutch.. as the Back Up Spring, will be the Clutch Plate.. and the Master Valve Can truly be a Master Valve..

Any Input will be Helpful..

Cap >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

EDIT.. ADDED THEORY #2.. Still a Theory..

I think I figured out the HPU/GSA Sol Coils.. STILL JUST A THEORY.. Here Goes..

The 'Master Sol' is a 'Pulsed Affair', that will let a 'Little' oil From the HPU Resivour, into the 'Shifting Stuff' ( GSA ) from the HPU. The Pressure Tank of the HPU is pressurized to MORE than enough pressure to the System. The 'Master Sol' and 'Master Pressure Sensor' is a kind of 'Pressure Regulator' that the TCU uses to Supply oil and Detect Resistance to movement. If the Pulses going to the Master Sol are Small ( Say 10% duity Cycle ), and the Shift Stuff should be moving, but the Sensed Pressure on the Master Pressure Sensor is high, then the TCU knows that the Shifting Stuff is 'Binding'.. If the Pressure is Low, with the same pulse rate of 10%, while the Shifting Stuff is moving, then the Resistance is low.. things must be moving Smoothly.. If nothing is being requested to move, and no Oil is required, then the Master Sol will not be Pulsing.. except to -Re-Supply the 'Internal Leakage' if the GSA.. I'm guessing the 'Master Pressure' is always at some low pressure, to keep things 'Ready for Action' and to verify if the Sensors are working..

( Forgetting the Clutch and Select Sol for now ) If the Shift Sol is Un-Energized, and the Master Sol is Supplying Oil to the GSA, then the Shift lever will move at MAX speed to the End of the Stroke.. and if the Shift Sol is Fully Energized, then the Shift lever will move at max Speed the other direction, till it hits the End of the Stroke.. AND ( Get this ) If the Shift Sol is being Pulsed at a 50% rate.. it wont move! A Signal of 50% is the 'Don't Move' Command.. and if a Solenoid is powered Off, you will get one way of travel, and if a Solenoid is Powered On, you will get the Other direction of travel.. Now, If the TCU reduces the pulse rate from the 'Don't Move Rate' of 50% to a 40% Rate, then the Shift lever will start moving SLOWLY one way.. AND If the pulse rate is increased to 60% then the Shift Lever will move SLOWLY in the Opposite Direction.. This way the TCU can control the Speed AND Direction of travel, by varying the Pulse rate of the Shift Sol Coils.. and the Resistance to Movement can be Detected by the 'Sensed Pressure VS Actual Pulse Rate' on the Master Sol.

The Select and the Clutch Solenoid use the Same Scenario.

The 'Position' of the Shifter ( and other Components ) is detected by the 0-5 Volt Sensors, and that 'Voltage' is Converted to a 'Position Signal'.. so the TCU knows where the various levers are..
When the TCU wants Shift Lever to move ( say ) from first to second, it will increase the Requested Pressure from the Master Sol to give Oil to the Shift Stuff, and reduce ( Or Increase I don't know yet ) the Shift Sol from 50% to 40% duty Cycle.. the Shift lever will then start to move, and the 'Sensor' will be tracking the Motion and speed. The TCU will Monitor the Speed, Position and Resistance of the Shifting Command and vary the Rates on the Different Solenoids to make the Shift Smooth. When the Shifter is in 2Nd Gear, the Select Sol will be pulsed back to the 50% rate, so it wont move..

Going from 2Nd to 3Rd will require the Shift to progress from 2Nd to neutral, then hold the Shift Sol at 50% rate, until the Select Sol will be taken from it's 50% ( parking/Stopped ) pulse rate, to a Higher ( Lower ) rate to cause the Gate Select to move to the Next Shift Gate.. Position to be determined by the 0-5 Volt Sensor. After the Position is reached, then the Gate Select Sol is returned to a 50% Duty Cycle, and the Shift Sol is returned to Motion, by changing the Duty Cycle on it.

So far this all sounds good.. and it is all baised upon the same pulse technique that is used on the VVTi. Thank you Jim! ( Your Fault! )

I created the Labels for this Pic.. Added 8-19-10

Added Updated Code List..

What the GSU looks like.. < Thanks Corky>

What the Sensor Looks Like.. old number is 894190W010.. superceeded by 894190W020.

Edit.. added more Stuff..
I sat down at the Google Machine to see if I could put together a set of brake lines for use on the SMT.. It's not as simple as it should be..

I ended up doing my searching on WWW.sumitracing.com not that it is any better than anything else.. I just have learned how to navigate it..

The problem is the 12*1.0 MM fittings.. either Straight or converting to Banjo..

So if you take the 12*1.0 and convert it to 10*1.0 with a fitting that looks like this..

Here is the Actual Fitting Page from Summit..

Then treat the Conversion Process as Hooking up a Double Ended 10*1.0 Set up..

So take the ( Now ) 10*1.0 Tapped Holes in the Various Pieces, then Screw in these Fittings..

This will convert it to AN3 Flair Fittings ( Has Swivels on Hose. )

then use a 24 Inch Brake Hose that has AN3 Fairs on it.. Like this one..

Then it should be 'Converted' to available Hoses..

Standard Disclaimers apply..

Good Luck.

Cap

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
Cap had some time on his hands.... ;)

I don't have them at my fingertips, but there are some papers floating around the web on the BMW SMG system and how it operates. Very, very similar setup, even though there are some physical and substantial software differences.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Cap
Thanks for looking into this system.
First I think that there are only two sensors for shifting 1 for Shift Stroke Sensor, and one for Select Stroke Sensor.

There is no difference between the GSA and HPU for either the 5spd or 6spd. Same number of everything, even same part number. The HPU may have a different part number - can't remember, but sitting side by side there isn't any difference's.

I'm not too good on the reading of the diagrams, but I do have a 5spd SMT set-up that I can send out to you if needed, or pictures can be taken. Whatever you need.

Corky

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Corkey:
Do you have the 'Truth Table' for the Limit Switches.. So I can Figure out what switch combo is for what Gear?.. You have said you did some Ohm Readings on the Switches.. was there a Table also as to what gear was what switch set?..

also.. Does the "Shift Selector" have some stiff springs, that the Hydraulics push against.. and if So what 'Gear' would the Selector 'Naturally' be in if the Springs did the Shifting.. I ASUME that for the 6 Speed that would be Reverse, and for the 5 Speed that would be 1St.. . That would answer the Question about the PWM on the Shift Sol Valves..

Cap

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Corkey:
Do you have the 'Truth Table' for the Limit Switches.. So I can Figure out what switch combo is for what Gear?.. You have said you did some Ohm Readings on the Switches.. was there a Table also as to what gear was what switch set?..

also.. Does the "Shift Selector" have some stiff springs, that the Hydraulics push against.. and if So what 'Gear' would the Selector 'Naturally' be in if the Springs did the Shifting.. I ASUME that for the 6 Speed that would be Reverse, and for the 5 Speed that would be 1St.. . That would answer the Question about the PWM on the Shift Sol Valves..

Cap
We didn't use the BGB prescribed method for checking the switches, just checked if there was continuity, and that is was varible. The BGB's method is to use voltage.
I'll need to look at the GAS again to give you what you need for the shifting side of things.

Corky

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update on Data Learned..

The Computer used is a CR16MES944V7.. It's the Smaller Packege size.. So does not have all the Features.. Only One Uart.. Etc.

The Lines labeld "Something." . are lines that come off the Circuit Board, and go to the Plug.. But are not Labeled..
At this time it looks like a 3 layer Circuit Board.. Looks like Ground Line is in the Center Layer..

Cap

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
I'm guessing some of the undocumented lines are I/O for flash updates.
On the other hand, this could possibly be the same board used in the BMW SMG..... and those pins may simply be for bimmer features that Toyota didn't want.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes!.. And it's your parts I tore up!

I've got my Daughter doing a Photoshop Overlay of the Upper and Lower Layers of the PC Board.. So I can Follow the Traces.. Just to get a little more familarity with 'What does What' on the Board..

Cap

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Cap, any more progress on this?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Wow, thanks for the update, this is looking good. This is getting pretty well documented - thanks for all of this!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now I have to figure out if this 2nd theory is correct..

Cap

·
Registered
39 Posts
This might help with the shifter position signals:

Basically its a matrix of 4 LSWx signals, LSxC are inverse and just for checksum.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Clarification on "something" pins:
Pins 7,8,29 are not connected on harness side on my car.
The rest are as follows according to wiring diagrams:
53 RSW +12V in from backup light switch (Red-blue)
58 SSF+ Shift solenoid (Blue-black)
62 SSF- Shift solenoid (Blue)

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
SMT = Shift My Tranny

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. Although there is a circuit board in there, that's just to lead people like Cap off on a wild goose chase. Shifting is actually controlled by former employees of the Keebler Corporation. That's right. It's elvin magic. Only these elves were kicked out of the Hollow Tree for malingering, nose-picking, rough-housing, bed-wetting, over-hyphenating, and other infractions.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I had the Opportunity to help Corky figure out his SMT debacle.. Seen’ins how I only knew how I would go about building an SMT.. I needed to learn how Toyota built one..

Corky was kind Enough to Inundate me with what ever I wanted.. ( Lets teach Cap.. so he can figure it out )..

In an effort to learn about this critter, I sat down with ( Corky’s) BGB and started reading..
I had to understand all the Wires and what they do.
I came up with a Plan.. Make a Break Out Box, that has ALL the SMT wires running through it.. and be able to Sample ALL the Voltages and Waveforms..

How do I do that.. ?

Take a SMT TCU and cut off the Plug from it.. and Solder wires to the End..

.. take an SMT wire Harness, and Do the Same.. Simple.. Right??.. ( I guess I was the Only one that thought so.. The Wife is Still Pissed at me ..)

A few Snips Later, and Corky was out a SMT Wire Harness and a Possible Functioning TCU.. < It’s for the Cause >

The Idea for the Box, was to have Every Wire that was from a Sensor or Switch, pass through a ‘Switch’ that would allow the ‘Device’ to be removed from the Car Electrically, and Tested.. I chose the ‘Banana Jack’ with a ‘Shorting Wire’ as my ‘Switch Device’.. it reasonably Cheep.. and allows me to add wires to the Device, and ‘Jump Elsewhere’ as necessary.. ( Take it to an O’Scope )

If the Sensor ( Switch )Out put was ‘Digital’ and Slow ( On or Off ), then I’d have it Go to a Lite ( LED Lamp ) that would show it’s On or Off State.. the ‘Lamp’ would be Permanently Mounted on the Test Board and Labeled.

As I was making the ‘Excel Spread Sheet’ that I was ‘Gleaming from the BGB’ , I started to Graphically come up with what the Break Out Box would look like.. and I Kept Re-Arranging the ‘Grouping Of the Posts and Labels’ till I was satisfied..

Then I realize that I would not be the One Hooking this up to the Car.. Corky would.. I needed to record all the Important Voltages and have Corky send me the Data.. .. Remembering the SSI-4 I installed here..
http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?31615-My-LC-1-SSI-4-Install&highlight=
I can use these.. I’ll send him a programmed Lap Top, along with the ‘Break Out Box’ that has the SSI-4’s inside, and he can E-Mail me the Results of the Tests.... ( Its getting more Complicated! )

Depending upon what the Waveforms are going to look like.. and how much stuff I want to record.. I might need Upwards of Four of these things.. lets see.. at $130 each.. Times Four.. Hmmmm.. How ‘Bout I start off with two, and lets try it out first..

Now I have a Plan.. Lets Proceed..

After getting it all Bench Tested and The Lap Top Programmed, I shipped it all to Corky.. He got the Unexpected.. More wires and Lights than you can shake a Stick at.. and a Lap Top too!

There is about 1500 feet of wire in that thing, and a BUNCH of ‘Banana Jacks’.. and a Little bit of Soldering..

Corky Hooked it up, and got a few Tracings from the SSI-4’s.. It was obvious that the added Length of wire was causing some difficulty, as the SMT would ‘Squeal’ if the ‘Break out Box’ was connected.. and would not if the SMT was powered up Normally..

This is when I started to think the Sol Coils were ‘Pulsed’ by the TCU, as that was the ‘Squealing’.. it was the PWM Circuits having to deal with Higher Resistance, and More Inductance.. of the long wires..

The rest of the Box, worked as planned ( At least I was told it did.. I never saw it Operate )

The End result of Corky’s SMT problem was an O-Ring/Oil compatibility Issue.. and the ‘Break out Box’ was not used in the Diagnostic Procedure during his troubleshooting. < Rats!>

After Corky got the Spyder running, he shipped all the Stuff back to me.
I now have a ‘NASA Test Box’ for when I finally get an SMT that I can put my hands on..

I think I benefited more from this ‘Episode in SMT Learning’ than Corky did.. and I did not have to get my hands dirty.. ( Love this Job! ).. Thank you Corky..

If I was to do this again, knowing what I know now, I’m not sure I’d take this type of approach.. but this is an excellent teaching tool!..

There is a Toyota Dealer Service Tool known as Techstream. It’s use is to turn a Lap Top into a Diagnostic Tool for Toyota and Lexus Cars. This Software will allow you to connect to all the Various Computers located in the Car. You can reset the P/S ECU.. or Check what is wrong with the ABS System or read the TCU problems.. all from the OBD2 Port.. This Software has a Price, and ‘Subscription Fee’.. so it’s pricy..
The ‘Box’ that I developed, requires that you ‘Remove’ some interior Panels and put your hands on the TCU, to get any Values from the ‘Hardware’ of the SMT.. So that part is a Pain.. BUT ( as the Problem with Corky’s Car ), the TCU would not communicate with the ECU or the Rest of the Car, so the Dealer Techstream Software would not < Initially > communicate with the TCU.. the ‘Nasa Test Box’ will always talk to the SMT.. just a Different way.. So each has it’s own uses.. and Costs..

The 'Test Box' was a teaching tool like no other.. and took a long time to develop and assemble.. and with it, ALL the SMT 'Sensors' can be check out. even if the TCU is throwing fits, and not communicating..

Cap

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I have to admit to Cap that I was a little overwhelmed when I received the 2 large boxes at my door. At first it wasn't quite clear to me how this box was going to help me diagnose what was going on inside my SMT system, but after several long distance calls and many emails Cap was able to walk me thru the process and educate me a little bit along the way.

I do regret not hooking the box back up to the car after installing a good GSA.

It is just amazing how much time and effort Cap put into this NASA box, and I am grateful for Cap's help.

Corky

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have at my Disposal a Few wire Harnesses.. M/t and SMT.. thaught I learn the Differences.. and Share..

Starting at the ECU on the MT.. here is what it looks like..

And the SMT has the TCU plug added..

Passing through the Firewall, the Run of wires that go down to the Starter on the M/T Harness has the IAC plug on it..

And for the SMT it has the APS Sensor Plug.. Plus the Turbine Speed Sensor, and the GSA Plugs..

The Feed that goes to the MAF / VSV for the M/T..

Has the HPU plug added to it for the SMT..

The TPS for the M/T.. Has the Ignition Filter ( always Broken ).. and the Second VSV valve..

And the SMT has a different TPS Plug.. and the Throttle Motor/Clutch Plug..

'Down at the Transmission' the Set up gets a little Different also..

The M/T has a Back up switch..

The SMT has TWO back up Switch Plugs .. Same Plug as the MT.. PLUS a Neutral Switch Plug.. This shot is from a Different Wire Harness.. also SMT

And here is a Shot of the Complete M/T Wire Harness..

This is the SMT wire Harness..

Cap

1 - 20 of 22 Posts