MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to do the big job I've been putting off forever.

How heavy is the empty gas tank itself? Can I bench press it with one hand while laying on my back to bolt it in, or will I need another jack as well?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just took mine out a few months ago. If it’s empty or close to it then it’s not bad at all mabye 20-30 lbs? I ended up using a floor jack to hold one side of it up while I got the other finagled into place and bolted in. The real fun part though is getting it up and around the air conditioner lines. Unbolt them from the clamps that hold them in and gently push them out of the way. I know it took me a bit of swearing but I eventually got the tank out… and back in. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@2001spyderct
Thanks for the reply. I just studied through relentless racing's videos on unbolting all the coolant and a/c brackets that get in the way. That seems to be the most annoying part of it.

Did you do all of this on jackstands? I'm replacing the e-brake cables but also all the gaskets in the gas tank while it's out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My car was on jackstands when I removed the fuel tank. I also replaced my e brake cables and vent valve and gasket (which was leaking and causing a P0440 evap system code). I regret having not had taken more pictures of the process but I was not in a good position to be taking pictures while the tank was coming in or out. This is the only
picture I took while the tank was out.

Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Hood

And I think you are right, the coolant hoses do need to get unbolted from the underside of the car and moved in addition to the ac lines. Getting past them is definitely difficult but not impossible. Bungee cords and rope to hold them out of the way are very helpful. Another thing I would recommend doing while you have the center console out to do the e brake cables is shifter base bushings. I also installed a short throw shifter. However that being said the shifter base bushings and spherical bushings I installed at the end of the shifter cables made a huge difference in shifter feel.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I also need to do this, but after watching the videos on youtube of the process, I'm thinking how wonderful my 7$ rubber wheel chock works!

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Empty of gas the tank is not heavy. It is large and unwieldy. I had access to a lift and it was not difficult. I replaced the shift cables at the same time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts