MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we all know the U.S. has been under a heating lamp for the past few weeks. Throw in large amounts of humidity and it's miserable. I only drive my MR2 with the top down so A/C might help, but very little. So I'll call the peak hot limit (for me) at ~90 degrees F and ~85% humidity. Over those numbers and I let the car sit - I use my DD with A/C. What do the rest of you do?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
The spyder is my only car. I drive top-down when the temp is 60-90 and no threat of rain. But for the last few weeks I've had the top up the entire time.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I usually go topless on the way into work when it's relatively cooler. Above 90 I will usually have the top up, especially if I know I'll be sitting in traffic. That's basically sitting in a hot parking lot with no shade.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
mornings I tend to have the top down because it's not too hot yet, but on in the afternoon on the way to work I typically ride with the ac on and the top up. Only other time I get to drive with the top down is nights, it's too hot for the top down in the city on stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
169 Posts
A month or so ago, I put the top down at 5pm after work during our record 107 degree high. It was a long day at work and I did not care plus our stop and go traffic is not so bad. It was pretty hot and I wont do that again but I do put it down usually when its 80-95 degrees out.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I only drive with the top down in the evenings, mostly after 7:30 p.m. I still drive it during the day but with the top up. Even if the top is down I have to run the AC. Plus having a triple black car makes the heat a little more unbearable. It's a 2nd vehicle for me, so it's not something I have to put up with on a daily basis.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
When it's just too miserable, try top down, windows up, and A/C full blast. Feels like a cool, but sunny Fall day. Love it.

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
I drive topless whenever I can. Sometimes the police pull me over and ask me to put a shirt on because I frighten young children.

·
Registered
526 Posts
^^^^^^hahahahahaha. Top up to work @ 7am then parked in a quiet suburban neighborhood underneath car cover. Top down on the way home from work(10 min commute) regardless of the so.Cal heat! I've tried top up with AC & I just can't do it. Somethin about cruising in the breez after a days work= damn rewarding!

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
we've been in triple digits since june.......that's just too freakin' hot!

today it was 112* in the shade 120* in the sun

oh yeah, the HT's been on since june

sheite! folks they're predicting 115* in the shade tomorrow!

DANM...if i wanted to live in Death Valley ....i'd moove to Death Valley

OH did i mention the drought?

·
Registered
110 Posts
duksa its too hot to even let your dogs out side right now. tonight at midnight it was still 97

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Top down all summer except when it rains. I'll admit to putting it up w/o latching it on occassion at stop lights. As soon as the light turns, I flip it back down. Other than than, I like the heat and the sun beating on me.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
107 is too hot, if it's below 100 at night i'll drive with the windows down and AC off in the daily driver. Right now the spyder is hardtop with no door windows and no ac... Her inspection also expired at the end of April, so I only drive her at night for now... Should be getting her inspected later this week and will be getting the AC working again, since being in Texas means we likely won't get down to 90s during the day till november at this rate... looking forward to Snow type cold weather come February lol.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I keep the top up on my way into work because traffic gets slow enough for it the windless sunshine to get old. In the evening, usually down. Over 90 usually means I have the windows and top up and AC cranked. Related question: How humid is too humid?

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Top usually goes down all the time, sans rain. But when it is hot and sunny I will wear light colored clothing and a hat with wrap sunglasses. My noes is constantly sunburned.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts