MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm 20. After re-giving my final exams I managed to pass to university (I study Biomedical Sciences in the field of Radiology). So after I saved some money and my parents added 1000€ more (the spyder's I found cost near 3.500-4.500 for cars with mileage 90.000-150.000) I finally can get my own car. I don't care many stuff in my daily life but like how I can fit luggages when I go to a trip with my gf. I saw some custom bags. Do they fit enough stuff for like 5 day vacations?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Take the cubby doors out and you will easily double the space.

The custom size bags will limit you to what fits in them. Remove the doors and you will create a far larger more flexible use single space behind the seats.
For ´emergency´ you can take the parcel shelf out and with the hood raised have more space still.

I regularly go for weekend/week road trips with charming company and have NÓT had storage issues.
If your gf still needs more space you best reset her perception about her ´needs´ or change for a more reasonable one.

Oh and I have deleted all in the front so no more storage space there. Imo the Spyder has no luggage space issue; some péople have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take the cubby doors out and you will easily double the space.

The custom size bags will limit you to what fits in them. Remove the doors and you will create a far larger more flexible use single space behind the seats.
For ´emergency´ you can take the parcel shelf out and with the hood raised have more space still.

I regularly go for weekend/week road trips with charming company and have NÓT had storage issues.
If your gf still needs more space you best reset her perception about her ´needs´ or change for a more reasonable one.

Oh and I have deleted all in the front so no more storage space there. Imo the Spyder has no luggage space issue; some péople have.

Yeah that was my second option. I actually saw this youtubers that put the bar and it looks a bit cooler like that. If it can fit two small luggages or bags with some clothes it's fine for us

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
The fitted luggage is kind of a gimmick. They look nice but limit your carrying volume. I use plastic trash bags. Ugly but they use all the available space. For the most capacity a “trailer hitch” with a luggage rack is the ultimate. Unfortunately nobody is fabricating them right now so you’d have to make one yourself, or find a fabricator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fitted luggage is kind of a gimmick. They look nice but limit your carrying volume. I use plastic trash bags. Ugly but they use all the available space. For the most capacity a “trailer hitch” with a luggage rack is the ultimate. Unfortunately nobody is fabricating them right now so you’d have to make one yourself, or find a fabricator. View attachment 82031
I'm pretty sure if I cut the plastic trim I could fit two duffel bags like this and maybe fit some minor stuff in the front trunk. Like we will mostly spent our time in the beach and in the hotel and even in the local bar you can easily go with the swimsuit

·
Registered
398 Posts
There is always the option of a luggage rack on the rear deck. There is a plethora of them availeble. I´d pérsonally sooner ask different c-company along though.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have the fitted luggage, and I personally love it.

1. My car doesn't look all hacked up inside.
  2. When I pack the bags, I know they will fit exactly in the space
  3. I also carry a full set of camping gear in the front trunk, still have my spare tire, AND the round bag that fits inside the spare.
  4. I also have the rear luggage carrier that Cyclehead mentioned (thanks to his efforts). I haven't used it... yet.
I've taken 10 day road trips by myself, and 3-4 day trips with my wife. We had plenty of space for everything (not if you ask her though... her regular makeup bag would take up all the space)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Also, I'm not scratching up my engine cover or cooking my luggage by placing it over the engine.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have the fitted luggage, and I personally love it.
When I pack the bags, I know they will fit exactly in the space
Not using the space on the floor/behind the seats then?? :oops:

I find it extremely handy, literally, to store things at hand there.
So when packing, put the overnight stuff in the storage space and on the floor. Can get a cooler lengthwise on top of the ´tunnel´ in the middle. A thermos with hot coffee propped against it behind the drivers seat so the passenger can serve that underway.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Gotta agree that the embroidered luggage looks cute but functionally is very limiting.. I use 2 medium sized duffel bags/gym bags behind the seats as well as a small bookbag/duffel bag in the frunk. The duffel bags fit perfectly to the shape of the rear cubby & each take up half the space. With a small bag in the frunk items like extra pairs of shoes can be squeezed in the oddly shaped & narrower edges of the frunk to utilize all of the space.

I also carry my emergency equipment where I can squeeze it...jumper cables under my seat, some extra coolant in the frunk & I keep a funnel, fold out lug wrench, and work gloves under the spare tire so they don't take up additional space.

Personally I prefer to keep the cubby plastics in place, both for security (no one notices there are even storage doors behind the seats) as well as aesthetics if traveling to nice places or for professional purposes. If you need to keep dress clothes unwrinkled I would suggest figuring a way to slide the passenger seat forward a touch and have them hang down behind it in a black dry cleaners bag.

Obviously there's more usable space if the top is up but that kinda defeats the purpose of having the car most of the time.

Reactions: Gunship Runabout

·
Registered
398 Posts
Also, I'm not scratching up my engine cover or cooking my luggage by placing it over the engine.
We´re not all that clumsy :p

And about the heat; just keep the wind blowing :ROFLMAO:

For the rest it is all personal preferrence and choice.
The bottom line is that the Spyder does not nééd to have a luggage issue with many roads leading to additional space solutions.

·
Registered
398 Posts
or for professional purposes. If you need to keep dress clothes unwrinkled I would suggest figuring a way to slide the passenger seat forward a touch and have them hang down behind it in a black dry cleaners bag.
When going solo it is only four easily undone bolts to take the seat out* and have plééénty of space. Hánging them down needs the top up no?! ;)

Am currently fabricating, well Bubbly gf is, a classic tonneau cover. With or without the seat it makes the passenger side a storage space.
It also covers the space behind the seats.

* do so when taking the dog so he can be comfie in the basket with cushion I drop in.

·
Registered
928 Posts
When going solo it is only four easily undone bolts to take the seat out* and have plééénty of space. Hánging them down needs the top up no?! ;)

Am currently fabricating, well Bubbly gf is, a classic tonneau cover. With or without the seat it makes the passenger side a storage space.
It also covers the space behind the seats.

* do so when taking the dog so he can be comfie in the basket with cushion I drop in.
If you need your top up to attach something to a seatback your lack of imagination should preclude answering questions which require just that. Take your suit bag, attack a few straps to tie it around the seatback at both the top and middle, then leave enough room not to mess up the delicate French press. Not sure how that requires the top up in the least bit.

Hopefully your fabrication of a tonneau cover uses a bit more innovation & doesn't go the Sivart route....otherwise your tonneau may require the top to be up as well.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ah well, some like the daughter, some the mother, some both. No need to get personal I´d say.. Not even when it is your daughter/mom!
As I wrote, there are mány ways to stuff your stuff and create more space.

Btw the tonneau is to allow for móre top down :cool:

On that note it baffles me that the Spyder is just about the only cabrio no tonneau is available for. Even bóth the MGF and TF have their own per example.
Ah I get it!!! The tonneau is also aero and thát is the NoNo :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah well, some like the daughter, some the mother, some both. No need to get personal I´d say.. Not even when it is your daughter/mom!
As I wrote, there are mány ways to stuff your stuff and create more space.

Btw the tonneau is to allow for móre top down :cool:

On that note it baffles me that the Spyder is just about the only cabrio no tonneau is available for. Even bóth the MGF and TF have their own per example.
Ah I get it!!! The tonneau is also aero and thát is the NoNo :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
bruh i didn't undestand a word from what you've said

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gotta agree that the embroidered luggage looks cute but functionally is very limiting.. I use 2 medium sized duffel bags/gym bags behind the seats as well as a small bookbag/duffel bag in the frunk. The duffel bags fit perfectly to the shape of the rear cubby & each take up half the space. With a small bag in the frunk items like extra pairs of shoes can be squeezed in the oddly shaped & narrower edges of the frunk to utilize all of the space.

I also carry my emergency equipment where I can squeeze it...jumper cables under my seat, some extra coolant in the frunk & I keep a funnel, fold out lug wrench, and work gloves under the spare tire so they don't take up additional space.

Personally I prefer to keep the cubby plastics in place, both for security (no one notices there are even storage doors behind the seats) as well as aesthetics if traveling to nice places or for professional purposes. If you need to keep dress clothes unwrinkled I would suggest figuring a way to slide the passenger seat forward a touch and have them hang down behind it in a black dry cleaners bag.

Obviously there's more usable space if the top is up but that kinda defeats the purpose of having the car most of the time.
yeah i believe two medium duffel bags will be the best option .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tant pis.
That´s French ;)

Bottom line is that the dedicated bags are mostly about looks but that and anything else is as yoú see fit.
Just go and have fun with the gf.
thanx bro .well prolly i just use two medium adidas duffel bags

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have the fitted luggage and it works great. If you take out the spare tire from the front and pack stuff in there it is enough space for 2 people over several days as long as you pack light.

the luggage makes packing the car fast and easy and you don't struggle to make stuff fit. Plus with the cubby doors installed and not storing anything large in the passenger compartment is much safer. Any roadcourse or autox event makes you unload everything from the passenger compartment for a reason.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts