MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is always the option of a luggage rack on the rear deck. There is a plethora of them availeble. I´d pérsonally sooner ask different c-company along though.

A luggage rack is the best investment you can make on your spyder, especially since it's a daily driver.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Remove the storage doors and pack light for 4-5 days and enjoy the ride. I have no issues packing for a 4 day hiking trip for two. Spares included.

Reactions: YungKaos

·
Registered
396 Posts
Plus with the cubby doors installed and not storing anything large in the passenger compartment is much safer. Any roadcourse or autox event makes you unload everything from the passenger compartment for a reason.
Aren´t we supposed to be driving more responsibly on the open road? :unsure:

But yes, a sound point: Only ever have a road map in the door pocket; folded double so it sits tight. Have nothing under the seats and everything in the rear (tool kit, tyre foam can, alarm light, reflective vest) is tightly strapped down. When carrying luggage also make sure it stays well put.

And when it gets to rolling the car there are more serious things to worry about ;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
ah and it adds lightness :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I forgot how much, it is undoubtedly in here sómewehere, but they are surprising sturdy/heavy.

Found it:
The doors are 5.5 lbs.
and the parcel shelf is 3.5.

Doesn´t seem like a lot but only 10 things like that add up to 90 pounds :geek:

·
Registered
82 Posts
On a side-note:
I actualy moved places and carried everything in my Spyder.
Only thing I did was removing the passenger seat and not running the hardtop.
Haven't weighted the seat, but they aren't exactly lightweight.
Turns out you can fit several of the larger Ikea Kallax into the Spyder at once.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Remove cubby doors and spare tire, that's as good as it gets short of a luggage rack. I thought pretty hard about how to get more space up front, if you delete ABS and PS and make a custom bin the frunk actually can be pretty respectable, but that's a very extreme modification.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It would be interesting to see how much larger one could make the frunk without having to relocate stuff in the front bay.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have the fitted luggage and it works great. If you take out the spare tire from the front and pack stuff in there it is enough space for 2 people over several days as long as you pack light.

the luggage makes packing the car fast and easy and you don't struggle to make stuff fit. Plus with the cubby doors installed and not storing anything large in the passenger compartment is much safer. Any roadcourse or autox event makes you unload everything from the passenger compartment for a reason.
My 2 duffel bags will never make it past the seatbacks either way, but I prefer the ones that fit within the cubby doors only because it makes for more secure top down parking in more....interesting areas

·
Registered
176 Posts
In case the OP didn't read between the lines, most remove the spare for the extra frunk room. Also, if you go with a luggage rack, remember to be careful. Now weight of engine + baggage = oversteer and can be made worse with improper tires.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
functionally is very limiting.
Agree to disagree. I love the fact I can pack the bags in the house and there is zero guesswork as to whether they will fit in the space. Close the cubbies and nobody even knows the bags are back there.

bruh i didn't undestand a word from what you've said
It wasn't of any consequence.

Bottom line, I made this trip twice last year with only the fitted bags, and I didn't have to litter my floor with loose items or cram things under my seats.

·
Registered
396 Posts
In case the OP didn't read between the lines, most remove the spare for the extra frunk room. Also, if you go with a luggage rack, remember to be careful. Now weight of engine + baggage = oversteer and can be made worse with improper tires.
Good point!!

More so still:

Nóbody would expect the car to behave the exact same way.

The perspective being that in general two up with luggage changes, basically deletes, the ´spirited´ driving parameters.
Even just two up going for a spirited spin on a closed track changes parameters because of the additional responsability for the passenger.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I would assume that with the luggage rack hanging off the rear most people would be driving to a destination where it would be removed before engaging in a more spirited driving format. I keep camping and survival gear in the frunk at all times so I have probably 20 pounds of extra weight up there all the time. It feels normal to me and it might actually help keep the nose planted whereas these cars like to drift a little in the lane at high speed. With that rack on the back, I'm just cruising until it comes back off. It's a convenience, not something that should be permanently part of the car...

·
Registered
396 Posts
I keep camping and survival gear in the frunk at all times so I have probably 20 pounds of extra weight up there all the time. It feels normal to me and it might actually help keep the nose planted whereas these cars like to drift a little in the lane at high speed.
As pointed out in many other threads, extra weight up front increases understeer and increases the MR2.
Whether that feels normal or even better depends on driver sensitivity and preferrence.

Two up though slows it all down enough to make the 20 lbs a moot point ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
True.
I have the pump off from the engine and left the rest in situ so I can simply refit.
Mine never had one to begin with, but I'd keep the 2nd fan If I was you.

Just as a side note:
Throw some grease onto the lower universal point of the steering rack.
These things like to corrode and go bad and yours looks rather dry.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts