MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm waivering between doing it myself and having it done professionally. I'm all about the learning experience, but not if it's REALLY time consuming. I have a 1 year old son at home and I don't want to lose that much time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm debating the same, except my son is 4mos. I've got access to a garage I could do it in, but if the cost of paying someone to do it is reasonable, then.....

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
"Those who can, do! Those who can not "do", hire those who can do!"

I had mine professionally done with no problems. Cloth top, $450 installed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh, that's much better than I was even hoping for. How's the material differ? Mine is 8yrs old and she's spent her entire life exposed to the elements.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Bought the top off of ebay. The installer, who does a lot of restoration work, said that the quality was very good. Cost $540 for it, which is only $70 more than vinyl.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$540 is the same as I payed for mine. If I remember right, when I was looking at them 3 years ago it was a couple hundred more. I'm going go attempt to do it myself this Saturday. I have a buddy coming over to help me out. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
$540 is the same as I payed for mine. If I remember right, when I was looking at them 3 years ago it was a couple hundred more. I'm going go attempt to do it myself this Saturday. I have a buddy coming over to help me out. I'll let you know how it goes.
Kool, come back and tell us that it wasn't that bad, cause I need to replace mine one of these days. :lol:

·
Registered
446 Posts
I got mine from another Spyderchat member at a great price. Decided to take the plunge over the Memorial Day holiday about four months ago.
It’s a job. Not difficult, but very time consuming. Have a place to do it and don’t rush. I worked on it for two to three hours a day for three days. I stopped when I got bored or distracted. Final result was wonderful, and I’d do it again in a heartbeat. However, the time was a serious consideration. Eight to ten hours is not unreasonable for a first time. I’m sure you could cut that down quite a bit if you did one of these every week, but none of us have that need. Of my local installers, very few could be trusted not to hack the job up. Those that wouldn’t charged a flat rate per hour and would not give an estimate of the total charge. Most listed “approximately eight to ten hours” at rates that ran from seventy-five to one hundred bucks an hour. For eight hundred bucks I’ll do it myself, and I’m glad I did.
Bottom line is that it’s up to you as to what you’re time is worth, and whether or not you have alternate transportation while you’re doing the job.
Check out the DVD that’s offered on Ebay – it helped me a lot. :lol:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I set aside all day Saturday so I plan to have it done by the end of the day. I have a heat gun, contact cement and all the other necessary tools. If it doesn't go smooth, do you want me to lie about so you don't get discouraged from doing your own? ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started my top last weekend and am still working on it. I purchase the DVD from AOK and it seems to leave a few details out. Specifically where the straps which are attached to the fourth bow are reattached. The straps have velcro on them and a metal thing on the bottom that should get bolted on somewhere. Didn't pay attention when taking it apart and now I don't know where it goes. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so that was a whole lot easier than I was expecting. I had my brother-in-law come over and help out. It took from 9:00 am to 1:45 to complete the job. That includes running across town to buy a rivet gun. Piece of cake! Pics to come!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I started my top last weekend and am still working on it. I purchase the DVD from AOK and it seems to leave a few details out. Specifically where the straps which are attached to the fourth bow are reattached. The straps have velcro on them and a metal thing on the bottom that should get bolted on somewhere. Didn't pay attention when taking it apart and now I don't know where it goes. Any help would be appreciated.
A pic of the strap and I could probably help you out. If it's the one with a metal braket on the end, it goes on the second nut of the bracket on the side.

·
Registered
234 Posts
So I'm digging up a old thread here. I bought a top and was going to do it this weekend. I bought it with the DVD (I hope it's in the box I didn't even open it yet). Did not have time this week to watch the video yet, what are some tools that I will need that one may not typically have in a toolbox?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Pop rivet gun and at least four rivets. I believe mine were 1/8 inch, but Harbor Freight has a buncha lotta them in a set with the gun. I found that a Dremel tool was nice for removing the rivets on the "rain gutter." A battery powered drill is nice also to help in removing the rivets. The guy in the DVD had a tool for removing plastic rivets. Looked like a screw driver with a flattened end and a slot. That would be nice, too. Some high quality double sided tape, and some string - good old cotton string.
Anyone else want to add to this list?

:lol:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thank foxcurry. Am I looking for aluminum or poly rivets?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I need to get my top done also was looking into the ebay ones didn't no if the quality was going to be cheap or not. I guess from reading its pretty good quality, what should i look into for labor cost?. i also have the passenger side frame on top of the window thats bent also price with that. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
I need to get my top done also was looking into the ebay ones didn't no if the quality was going to be cheap or not. I guess from reading its pretty good quality, what should i look into for labor cost?. i also have the passenger side frame on top of the window thats bent also price with that. Thanks.
Where do you live?

I had mine install by a upholster for only $450. Excellent job!

When I first met the guy, I walked around the shop and noticed classic cars that he was doing interior work. And he came highly endorsed by a collision shop that I have dealt with for over 30 years.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts