MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just recently got my MR2 spyder
And the paint is not in very good condition so I was wanting to wrap it but don’t know how much to get.Does anyone have any idea how much it will take?
PS I have done little to no experience wrapping any advice on the best way to practice?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
If you've never worked with any sort of vinyl or large decals before the most important thing you will need is time. It might take you 2-3 days for an entire car so don't do it if you have a timeframe and need the car.

Do a rough measure of square feet and add an extra foot to it on each end. You might waste an entire sheet on large areas like the hood and do it twice. That's $100 gone. I would start with a door or front fender. Just like paint, you don't want to wrap in extreme hot or cold. If your paint is rough to the touch it will show under the vinyl so you'll have to sand the surface smooth first. Once you sand it you're committed.

Other expenses are good NT blades, squeegee bananas buffers, knifeless tape, and your sanity.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn’t really think about time but it definitely makes since. It’s also pretty hot here right now so I’ll probably have to wait for it to cool down. Thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,051 Posts
I didn’t really think about time but it definitely makes since. It’s also pretty hot here right now so I’ll probably have to wait for it to cool down. Thank you for the advice!
Better hot than cold. When it's too hot all you have to do is change your timing a little. Too cold and the stuff will rip unless you have two assistants with blow driers. I wrapped in Texas with no issues, used the same exact material in Colorado when it was 50 degrees F out and NOPE!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also any advice on how to get the door handles I was trying to figure it out the other day with some cheap wrap but couldn’t seem to get it?
Can I remove the door handles?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Other expenses are... your sanity.
This is why I have never tried vinyl wrapping. Screen protector film has made me consider throwing phones against the wall more than once.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I got a 50x5 ft sheet, did the hood twice and have plenty left over. Just add a couple inches to each end (top, bottom, left and right) and jigsaw it out of the sheet to save material.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
This is why I have never tried vinyl wrapping. Screen protector film has made me consider throwing phones against the wall more than once.
It all depends on what your definition of perfect is. I settled for good enough and I'm happy with how it looks compared to how the paint looked. But if I had a new car and wanted the wrap to look perfect? I don't think a perfect wrap job will ever touch a half decent paint job.

@Fasaman

Watch some videos on how vinyl behaves around sharp edges and corners. Those are tricky. There are methods to stretching and heating vinyl so that it "remembers" and sets itself. You could actually do a horrible job on door handles and hide the mistakes on the underside. Areas with long curves and bulges are harder to hide mistakes. One wrinkle on an otherwise perfect wrap and you will hate yourself.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Any physical imperfection is going to show thru.

I did my front frunk cover with faux carbon fiber wrap to cover up the 100K miles of road rash. I thought I did a decent job of filling in the paint chips and sanding them smooth. They still left a mark in the wrap.

Tried again on my Wife's Scion putting more effort in filling and sanding the paint chips. They still showed thru after a while, but not as bad.

I am thinking about trying again on the MR2. If I do, I will spray on a coat of primer and sand that down, adding more putty as required.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It all depends on what your definition of perfect is. I settled for good enough and I'm happy with how it looks compared to how the paint looked. But if I had a new car and wanted the wrap to look perfect? I don't think a perfect wrap job will ever touch a half decent paint job.

@Fasaman

Watch some videos on how vinyl behaves around sharp edges and corners. Those are tricky. There are methods to stretching and heating vinyl so that it "remembers" and sets itself. You could actually do a horrible job on door handles and hide the mistakes on the underside. Areas with long curves and bulges are harder to hide mistakes. One wrinkle on an otherwise perfect wrap and you will hate yourself.
Yeah I’ve been a bit worried about messing it up since I’ve only done small parts with wrap so hopefully it will end up looking half decent ( but really anything will look better than my paint rn)
Also thank you for the door handle tip I’ll be sure to use that

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I did my front frunk cover with faux carbon fiber wrap to cover up the 100K miles of road rash. I thought I did a decent job of filling in the paint chips and sanding them smooth. They still left a mark in the wrap.

Tried again on my Wife's Scion putting more effort in filling and sanding the paint chips. They still showed thru after a while, but not as bad.

I am thinking about trying again on the MR2. If I do, I will spray on a coat of primer and sand that down, adding more putty as required.
thanks for the advice! Y’all have been super helpful

·
Registered
230 Posts

Same experience. Matte wrap does hide imperfections much better than gloss so I'll stick to matte with my amateur skills!

Car gets lots of compliments on street and up close they still say not bad for a first wrap job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
order some 3m design line. The stuff rocks. You stick the Design Line tape to the car in the around the edges of the body panels, door handles or in whatever design you want. Lay the vinyl over thje Design line then pull the lines up. They cut through the vinyl revealing your design or cleanly cutting around door handles and mirrors ETC.

Also, 3ms automotive wrap is the easiest to work with. You lightly tack the vinyl to the vehicle, Check to make sure its lined up correctly. If its not, the vinyl is easily unstuck so you can adjust as needed. Once its all lined up apply pressure and use a heat gun to make it stick. 3m is more ducats thsn the rest but the quality and ease of use should help offset your inexperience with wraps.

Check out 3ms tutorials on YOutube. Short and sweet and will make your wrap much less aggravating.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts