MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been asked before, but the search function was making life harder.

What do you guys have you BC's set to on the street?

Mine were set a full soft, but I just set my fronts: 10 clicks from hard, and rears: 20 clicks from hard.

My alignment guy was telling me that whatever I set it to, the ratio should be 2/3rds stiff front, to 1/3rd stiff back.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
This has probably been asked before, but the search function was making life harder.

Mine were set a full soft, but I just set my fronts: 10 clicks from hard, and rears: 20 clicks from hard.

My alignment guy was telling me that whatever I set it to, the ratio should be 2/3rds stiff front, to 1/3rd stiff back.
It depends greatly upon the road surface.
If the road is smooth, stiff is good.
If the road is rough, soft is good.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts

A real basic way to get a guideline on rebound settings is to go driving at night, where it's easy to see what the headlamp cutoffs are doing. When you hit a bump, the suspension should oscillate just over one time, but this method isn't precise enough to worry about that- so just try to get it to oscillate, or "bounce" a single time. If it "bounces" twice or more, turn the dial up until it's at the softest setting that only allows one oscillation. Then fine tune from there.

It's barely science, but it'll get you close.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
A real basic way to get a guideline on rebound settings is to go driving at night, where it's easy to see what the headlamp cutoffs are doing. When you hit a bump, the suspension should oscillate just over one time, but this method isn't precise enough to worry about that- so just try to get it to oscillate, or "bounce" a single time. If it "bounces" twice or more, turn the dial up until it's at the softest setting that only allows one oscillation. Then fine tune from there.

It's barely science, but it'll get you close.
This

Also you are not adjusting "stiffness" at all. You are adjusting rebound, rebound's job is control the spring. So there is no personal preference despite what your butt dyno says. The setting that is best for performance is also the best for ride comfort.

I will guess that since all the BCs shock dynos I've seen are valved very linearly, you won't be able to find a setting that works well for all bumps. When they are set to lower rebound you will have 1 oscillation on large bumps but will be under dampened for body roll and smaller bumps. Set to higher rebound will result in 1 oscillation during body roll/small bumps but large bumps or higher speed bumps will be overdampened and be overly harsh. This is why digressive dampening is the preferred way of valving IMO. However, this is just me speculating as I don't have BCs, nor tested them at different settings

The problem with this is that your alignment guy assumes the front shocks are valved the same as the rears, which is something you don't know for sure. Lets say the fronts are valved to have twice as much rebound as the rear at all settings, so when the fronts are on 10 clicks from lowest rebound that is the same as your rears being on 5 clicks. Again, assuming each click is perfectly linear which the BCs are not.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
The BC adjusters have a lot of cross talk so you are adjusting compression and rebound.

Also the adjusters don't work linearly meaning the first 10-15 clicks probably do very little then after that each click makes progressively more of a difference.

BC shock dynos are digressive but only at lower shock velocities and just not a whole lot. Not really any different than Fortune Auto trying to pass of their shocks as digressive.

Digressive compression is probably more important than rebound but I think it depends on each application.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Anybody else's head want to explode? Not that I don't have the mechanical intellect (or academic credentials) to comprehend all of this, I just don't see the need or want to? That's why I decided to go the Sportivo route and trust others who make their living figuring this stuff out.
But to each his own.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Anybody else's head want to explode? Not that I don't have the mechanical intellect (or academic credentials) to comprehend all of this, I just don't see the need or want to? That's why I decided to go the Sportivo route and trust others who make their living figuring this stuff out.
But to each his own.
It's not as complicated as it sounds once you get the hang of it (honestly). Plus I'd rather have overly technical posts than another thread that leads to bashing or bench racing which happens too frequent here.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips. I understand what you guys mean about oscillation over small bumps. After setting my rebound harder my car went nuts over uneven patches of road (where two types of pavement meet). I need to play with this a bit.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
It's not as complicated as it sounds once you get the hang of it (honestly). Plus I'd rather have overly technical posts than another thread that leads to bashing or bench racing which happens too frequent here.
Exactly. I also like having useful information in threads for future searches.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have had the BC coilovers for over 3 years now. I am not well educated on the manner but they were on 19 clicks (all 4 corners) for about two years then I switched to 12clicks front and 10clicks rear but I felt the car was soft. Currently I have 15clicks front and 12clicks rear. I like the ride quality and it feels responsive! of course not as good as when it was on 19 clicks all around.

Is this an ideal setting? I dont know!! I wish someone more knowledgeable can drive it and tune the suspension! but to me the car handles well.

The way I turn the knob is I set it at zero where the zero is at the "soft" side then turn the knob towards the "hard" side.

My car has aftermarket sway bars, FMB, RMB, Beefy endlinks and front strut bar.

Thanks
Rasheed

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
You have to state what spring rate you have. Different spring rates will feel different even on the same shock setting.

·
Registered
740 Posts
You have to state what spring rate you have. Different spring rates will feel different even on the same shock setting.
Sorry. I totally forgot to mention that! It is 6K front and 8K rear.

Thanks
Rasheed

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have had the BC coilovers for over 3 years now. I am not well educated on the manner but they were on 19 clicks (all 4 corners) for about two years then I switched to 12clicks front and 10clicks rear but I felt the car was soft. Currently I have 15clicks front and 12clicks rear. I like the ride quality and it feels responsive! of course not as good as when it was on 19 clicks all around.

Is this an ideal setting? I dont know!! I wish someone more knowledgeable can drive it and tune the suspension! but to me the car handles well.

The way I turn the knob is I set it at zero where the zero is at the "soft" side then turn the knob towards the "hard" side.

My car has aftermarket sway bars, FMB, RMB, Beefy endlinks and front strut bar.

Thanks
Rasheed
If you like the way it rides and handles then you have them set correctly

·
Registered
23,066 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey hey. chilled guys. my street race meaning driving faster then speed limit on less traffic road trying to overcome corners with no money involve.
my country dont have long road like u have in ur country, neither have tracks for us to play with. so i dont see a problem there. i'm not doing harm to other road user.
i dont wish to list this forum as a user not friendly forum.
pls take note everyone have their own way of living and their own hobbies.
we r here to share information, and to learn. if thats the comment i get then nvm.
thanks.
enjoy ur ride.
MR-S still rocks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts