MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of guys on the forum found these cheap armrests. I had to know what they look like so I bought one. I decided to go ahead and "convert" one for the spyder, and show how it can be done. (Plus show the differences between the eBay specials, and an "amateur armrest" version!)

I bought this one for an Audi A4:
https://vod.ebay.com/vod/FetchOrderDetails?itemid=302550623125&transid=1553186684020&ul_noapp=true
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Audi-A4-S4-B6-A6-C5-2000-2006-Black-Leather-Armrest-Center-Console-Lid-Cover/302550623125?hash=item46716c2395:g:0nIAAOSwZW5aIhxO

It arrived pretty quickly, about one week or so.
To disassemble, you need to pry the hinge plate off the armrest. Start at the back by the big hinges. Pictures show how it goes together.
Grind off all the protruding hinges and latches.
Make some way to attach to the spyder.
Reassemble.
Ta da!

I finished the bottom of this "prototype" with felt and a piece of velcro pile, and added a cupholder mount (same way I do on my amateur armrest pieces).

Comparison:
eBay part is cheap, only $16! But the leather is super thin, and backed with some kind of fabric. The foam is about 1/4 inch thick total. It's a little shorter than the amateur armrest pieces, but you'll probably never notice since it's behind the seats.
Amateur armrests are a little longer, the foam is quite a bit thicker (I use two different density foams), and better fabric/leather, and choice of stitching color and patterns, and I make some spending money and stay busy in the weekends...but that's about it.

Photos!

Album shows all the steps
Album: https://imgur.com/a/8yA9XYX

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have one "converted" eBay armrest for sale for $15. Same money I paid for it. Please add about $3 to cover shipping in a big envelope. Sorry about the "blemish" in the center of the leather. I screwed up. But it's not too noticeable.

·
Registered
22,979 Posts
Most of the mid priced German cars have good leather but it is not great leather like you find with far more expensive cars in the mid $100k luxury car range. Im not into the big grainy leather and that is why I never went for that PU leather covers from China.
Your leather and coach work is right up there with the best leathers I have seen.
I think it was a great idea to embrace an affordable mass produced option but nothing beats commissioned custom made.

I had some wood handles for my La Pavoni commissioned from a hobbyist in Gabon Ebony. It is a real treat to cut out the middle man and have some old world luxury that is only afforded for the rich.

·
Registered
9,694 Posts
Most of the mid priced German cars have good leather but it is not great leather like you find with far more expensive cars in the mid $100k luxury car range.
I mainly inspect Mercedes and some BMWs in terms of luxury cars and you'd be surprised what is leather in these cars nowadays and what is not. Almost anything less than the top model S-class/7series are in house brand synthetic leather or leatherette.

·
Registered
22,979 Posts
I mainly inspect Mercedes and some BMWs in terms of luxury cars and you'd be surprised what is leather in these cars nowadays and what is not. Almost anything less than the top model S-class/7series are in house brand synthetic leather or leatherette.
I think the Germans have been good about selling the world on their myth or at best selling in name only now.
Im not saying that Lexus leather is any better but the craftsmanship of fit, finish and reliability is better. My Sisters three year old G wagons interior is falling apart and has a stuck door handle but the leather they used is nice.
I had a chance to drive a brand new 2018 Civic that didn't have leather but the cloth they used had a nice texture and the fit and finish was pretty good in terms of value.

I see this myth in other items like camera gear where people will spend ridiculous amounts of money for a Leica lens when a Fujicon lens will outperform it even on build quality.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Personally, I think just shaving the hinge off and fixing it to the center console with velcro or 3M auto tape is the way to go without complicating it too much. It looks very factory fit and finish because it is.

I did this back in 2/2018. I was happy with the results.

Armrest.jpg

·
3,303 Posts
I updated the thread title to make it easier to search for in the future. I hope you don't mind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts