We spent quite some time diagnosing it, but once the oil pan came off it was evident. We isntalled an aftermarket (NAPA) std/std bearing set, and took down the information (rod #s) for a future redo wiuth the Toyota #1/#2/#3 bearing shells for all rods. All the parts are here and ready, kinda waiting for good weather to do the job. IIRC his car had 135K or so when the noise started. He actually drove it 125 miles/day for 3-4 weeks with it making that noise. I was really expecting to find damage, but pleasantly surprised to have it go so well.Thanks helowrench. This is at least a little encouraging.
Good reminder. also, If I remember correctly the rod bolt is a 12 point.Remember the Rod Bolt Torques are a Two Stage Process.. Others here have Torqued to the ~20 Ft Lbs but not taken it the remaining 90 Deg.. It did not end well..
I'm going from memory here, so make sure you check the Book Specks..
We did this by sliding under the car, and replacing the oil filter, cut the old one open, and it was full of gold.A machinest friend of mine has suggested that I take an oil sample in for analysis before doing anything much more. Bearing metal in the oil would pretty much confirm bearing problems, I guess. That kind of makes sense, so I think I'll try that. And thanks for the heads-up on the rod bolt torque, Cap.