MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Galo @ May 2 2008, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (charlatan brown @ May 2 2008, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's my problem: When I put the top up, the tension from the strap was actually pulling the edges of the top inward and creating dimples on both sides of the top. I'm positive this was being caused by the strap, as it was fixed when the strap was removed. It seems like the strap is too tight.

Any suggestions? Does anyone else have this problem?[/b]
Is it possible you wrapped the strap around the frame more than once...or the wrong frame area?
[/b][/quote]

Nah, I made sure that it just went around the frame bar just once.

I'm thinking it might be this "inner sleeve" that everyone is talking about. When I put my hand inside the big sleeve and feel around, I don't feel any smaller sleeve within. The instructions say to look for a smaller, stretchy tunnel - but I just don't see one.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (charlatan brown @ May 5 2008, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm thinking it might be this "inner sleeve" that everyone is talking about. When I put my hand inside the big sleeve and feel around, I don't feel any smaller sleeve within. The instructions say to look for a smaller, stretchy tunnel - but I just don't see one.[/b]
You have to have the top about 1/3-1/2 way down and look closely. It's very close to the frame rib that is in that location. It isn't easy to see.

·
Registered
875 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Galo @ May 5 2008, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (charlatan brown @ May 5 2008, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm thinking it might be this "inner sleeve" that everyone is talking about. When I put my hand inside the big sleeve and feel around, I don't feel any smaller sleeve within. The instructions say to look for a smaller, stretchy tunnel - but I just don't see one.[/b]
You have to have the top about 1/3-1/2 way down and look closely. It's very close to the frame rib that is in that location. It isn't easy to see.
[/b][/quote]

I propped the top back and felt around up there the other day, and still couldn't find a smaller sleeve. There's a tiny one, that holds a bungee or spring of some sort, but nothing that the top strap could fit through.

I'm going to get out a flashlight and give it another shot tonight.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hmm... So i just found out about having the strap a couple days ago. I didn't know you were supposed to route it through this small cavern for "auto ear removal." I actually just attached it and pulled the ears in as i put the top down. I had no ears then. Now i followed the instructions and the "auto ear removal" creates some terrible wrinkles and folds by the ears instead when I fold the top down. There has to be a better way.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tenshi @ Jan 4 2009, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Can someone tell me the length of the strap so that I can make one please! thanks in advance.[/b]
The stock strap is 38 1/4" overall with the snaps at 37 1/4". Just measured mine in the garage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The stock strap is 38 1/4" overall with the snaps at 37 1/4". Just measured mine in the garage.
[/quote]

Thanks a lot man! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scootrkitz @ Mar 19 2009, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
calling out to rburton on this...he has ears to the max! :eusa_naughty:[/b]

:mrs_2gunsfiring_v1: ok ok ok you got me, i got ears on my tan top, but my black one is on its way here to KC, better get over 2 my house this weekend so you can help on the install !!! If not i just might suffer the ears disease on my black top too.

You wouldnt want my car to suffer like that would you!!

rburton

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looking for specs to MacGyvor my own top strap

Yes indeed, a brilliant write-up!
I have searched every crevice and can't find the OEM top strap. Anyone have the dimensions so I can craft one from nylon webbing? And are the ends (the squares surrounding the snap bottoms) velcro?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just tried installing the OutoftheBox strap. The instructions here are fantastic, but when putting the top down afterwards the top would not fold completely without substantial coercion I didn't force it out of fear I'd tear or snap something, so instead I wound up removing the strap again and saving the project for another day.

I think most of the problem with folding down the top had to do with the cool (low-40s) temp around Albuquerque today; some time in the warm sun would certainly make the vinyl more pliable.

I believe I identified the correct "small" tunnel (green arrow) to put the strap through. It was larger than I expected, but I wasn't counting the "tunnel" formed by the top backing material (red arrow) initially. Could someone confirm I'm on the right track here?

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I just tried installing the OutoftheBox strap. The instructions here are fantastic, but when putting the top down afterwards the top would not fold completely without substantial coercion I didn't force it out of fear I'd tear or snap something, so instead I wound up removing the strap again and saving the project for another day.

I think most of the problem with folding down the top had to do with the cool (low-40s) temp around Albuquerque today; some time in the warm sun would certainly make the vinyl more pliable.

I believe I identified the correct "small" tunnel (green arrow) to put the strap through. It was larger than I expected, but I wasn't counting the "tunnel" formed by the top backing material (red arrow) initially. Could someone confirm I'm on the right track here?

This is what you should see when searching for the "small tunnel".

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
This is what you should see when searching for the "small tunnel".

"The finger on the left is pulling the larger tunnel aside, and the right finger is on the smaller tunnel. The white tape is the Outofthebox Top Strap end halfway inserted into the tunnel."

·
Registered
54 Posts
"The finger on the left is pulling the larger tunnel aside, and the right finger is on the smaller tunnel. The white tape is the Outofthebox Top Strap end halfway inserted into the tunnel."
Hmm... okay. I'm honestly not seeing a smaller tunnel inside the larger one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hmm... okay. I'm honestly not seeing a smaller tunnel inside the larger one.
Update - I reinstalled the strap last weekend, and I'm pretty sure we were talking about the same "small" tunnel. This time around I made certain to keep the strap straight all the way through, no twisting, and that did the trick. The top lowered just fine, no binding OR ears...

...Until the right snap came undone. Looks like sewing or super glue may be needed to keep it attached.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts