MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently just got a garage! I have the same mirror without compass on my Mazda6 and I love it. I really got tired of flipping the switch for night driving and the garage door opener didn't fit in well so anyways I figured I'd do this mod for the 2001 Mrs.
This is my first writeup on here.
I'll start by putting down what I got

You may find it for more or less.
Gentex 453 $45
Gentex 453 10 pin wiring harness $22.89
Torx key I don't know the size sorry.
You may or may not need this adapter for the Rear view mirror mount.
Mirror adapter wedge $11.73
Screw driver for the mount
Trim removal wedge to put the wiring
Coat hanger to push/ pull the wiring

First start by disconnecting the Negative Terminal from the battery.
Second remove the Rear view mirror.

I kinda pulled it outwards and turned because it was a wedge type.

Mount Adapter install

Remove the old retaining pin thing. And replace it with the new one and also slide up the wedge.

Screw in the new mount

Run the wiring along the pillar. I just ran it along the trim on the windshield side of the trim to the A Pillar

Remove the kick panel

Use the tap on the ignition harness
Red/white ignition wire taps to black/white gentex
White/red Constant wire taps to the black Gentex
And the black wire with the loop goes to the Ground/ frame

Reinstall the kick panel and the negative terminal and it's done

Any questions?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to, I saw someone do this in an earlier post but I didn't find the wiring diagram so I decided just to share how I did it for anyone. It was really easy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,207 Posts
Its a fairly simple mod as well. Did this recently in anticipation of actually having a garage again. Plus the auto dim feature is nice to have as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really loved the feature in my other car and when I finally moved into my new house I was already looking into doing this mod plus the auto dim is amazing. It also looks clean and I can take it out easily for another car if I decided to go back to stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry to bump this old thread but I did this mod today.

Thanks for the writeup, but a couple of notes for someone else thinking about doing this.

1- Sliding the new wedge up underneath the new clip gave me tons of problems. The only way I finally got the wedge in place was carefully smacking it with a plastic/rubber mallet. This obviously made me paranoid as smacking anything with a hammer right next to your windshield probably isn't the brightest of moves.

2- My wire colors in my new harness were different than the colors you described. I had yellow for switched 12v, red for constant, and black for ground.

But overall, your writeup got me through it rather painlessly. Thank you.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thanks for the write up on this DIY. I think this is one of the better mods for this little car. Considering the sea of towering CUVs/Trucks with their bright ass headlights on the road these days. My retina burns at the sight of those damn led headlights. This is by far the best mod for night driving.

Some notes to add.
I went to the local pick and pull junkyard and score a rear view mirror from a late model Infiniti Q series sedan. Along with the two piece wire loom cover for $6! The extended wiring kit for the Gentex 453 off Ebay for $25. And the Camlock adapter for $21. Fairly inexpensive mod. Get the camlock adapter listed below. The Subaru "conversion" version OP uses is too loose and way too many parts to be dangling from the windshield. This ebay cam lock is one piece and mounts on the Gentex mirror plug and play.
The wiring is easy as OPs direction. Find the solid Red with White stripe and tap into that. I wired My solid red/solid yellow to ignition only. That way the mirror is only on when the vehicle is on. No need to wire it to constant 12+v. There is a mounting bolt for one of the modules right above the dead pedal. Perfect spot for ground. I tuck the wire loom that I pieced together from some computer cables and tuck it up the plastic headliner and down the driver side pillar. Easy mod!

Product Font Line Material property Automotive lighting

Rectangle Automotive tire Automotive design Wood Grey

·
Super Moderator
2,869 Posts
Generally not a good idea to do. Also my yearly state inspection will fail if the mirror is removed.
We don't have any pesky inspections here in the free state of Georgia. However if we did, it's an easy enough thing to pop it back on before any inspection were to take place.

My back window is tinted as dark as tint comes, and my car is low - so I was constantly getting blinded. Took the mirror out, and bingo-bango, no more getting blinded. Plus I have convex side mirrors ala Cyclehead, and I can see very well behind me.

To each his own, but for me I use the space where the mirror was to hang my speed detection countermeasures.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Mirrors or no mirrors. I honestly can't see shit out of these little cars with the top up. Backing out of the driveway is a major pain due the grossly large blind spots.

Oh and we can't play with radar detectors either 😪

·
Super Moderator
2,869 Posts
Indeed it is. Don't be speeding thru here. Cops are not so lenient!
I don't generally go more than 9 over the limit on a road trip. However, last year when my son was in a coma on the west coast I made it there in just over 40 hours... so I might have been going a little faster than 9 over. I stopped in New Mexico and slept in a hammock for about 8 of those hours. 2260 miles in 32 hours of driving.

I did get the attention of the local constabulary in Lubbock Texas, so I stopped for gas and waited at the station for him to leave. Their radios aren't encrypted and I run a Bearcat with Close Call RF capture so spent about an hour at that station before I hit the road again.

I'm planning to eventually make a Cannonball run in the Spyder, internally debating the potential modifications I'd need to make in order to generate a competitive time. There's something to be said for just finishing it, but anybody can do that. I just don't know if I want to install another fuel tank and I don't think I can get anywhere Ed Bolian's times without spending $100k on a car and gear.... although I'm already running most of the same electronics short of the night vision scope.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Virginia has really bad cops....by far the worst state to drive in. Protect & serve somehow equates to speeding tickets for 1 - 3 mph over. . . . .I guess poorer areas need to make their yearly budget somehow but their highway patrol is like a state full of rolling meter maids.

·
Super Moderator
2,869 Posts
Virginia has really bad cops.
I'm aware. Been in the transportation industry just under 30 years now, and luckily have never gotten a ticket or even been pulled over in Virginia.

Most of the time I'll just pull the head unit down from it's magnetic mount and let the shifters operate autonomously. They're invisible unless you get down on the ground and look upward and know what you're looking for. I now wish I had started this setup with a fully concealed brain and descrete display, but I got it before the shifters and wanted to be able to move it between vehicles. Then I got the first two shifters, then added a third up front in order to defeat DragonEye 2, then got two more for the rear because more is better.

Sorry... what were we talking about again?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.