MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a trivial process, I know, but it never hurts to have it here for someone less mechanically inclined in the future, so h
ere it goes;

Tools;
1x Flathead screwdriver (This is for prying, so the "medium" sizes work best)
1x 8mm wrench/socket (This will remove/tighten the bolts holding the lights in.)
Optional- Trimming tool. The Supra/Celica JDM lights don't quite fit in the stock bumper holes, so if you're installing one of them, you will need to do some minor trimming on the bumper. I used a set of wire cutters and it worked fine.

So here's what we're starting with. (Excuse that my car is filthy, it's Colorado and the end of winter)

First, we need to get access to the rear bolts that hide behind the bumper and hold the light in.

To do so, turn the wheels away from the side you are replacing. Remove the pin that holds in the inner fender from above the wheel. This is done by inserting a screwdriver under the inner part of the pin and twisting the screwdriver to pull out the inner part.

Now pull the inner fender back far enough to get your arm in about a foot. The inner fender is rather durable, so don't feel too bad about getting a little rough, it'll snap back to it's original shape.

Now, I assume you have an aftermarket set of corners sitting nearby, so I'll skip the picture that shows what the back looks like. Now you need to grab your 8mm socket/wrench and undo the two bolts holding the light in. Pretty self-explainatory.

When the bolts are removed, the lights will practically fall out of their hole, you'll see something like this;

(Optional note regarding JDM Celica/Supra corners- You will need to make a cut along where I have marked yellow lines in the photo, otherwise the "ball" that holds the light bulb will prevent the light from mounting correctly. I used a set of wire clippers and then taped the edges of my cut because I'm OCD. You won't ever see the cuts again.)

Now undo the wiring clip that connects the bulb to the car. Once you have that off, grab the bulb housing and twist about 180 degrees. We'll need to reuse the bulb housing, and maybe the bulb in the new lights. BTW, this is a great place to put in new bulbs if you have them and test to make sure they work before proceeding any further.

Now it's just a matter of reassembling the whole thing. Hopefully you remembered how you took everything apart, because it goes back together the same way. Your end result should look like this, depending on what lights you put in;

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
One little critique. You might want to explain how the bulb twists into and out of the housing. It's not completely intuitive if you're not mechanically inclined.

Other than that, good write up. Excellent use of psychadelic fonts and arrows.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
An absolutely essential mod for all Spyders.

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
I decided the clears wouldn't look good on Yellow, so I tinted mine with nite shades and clear coated over the top. It looks fantastic and stays with the whole Yellow/Black theme.

*edited with pics*

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bean'sShadow @ Apr 26 2008, 02:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I decided the clears wouldn't look good on Yellow, so I tinted mine with nite shades and clear coated over the top. It looks fantastic and stays with the whole Yellow/Black theme.[/b]
Two questions:

1) I ordered a pair of the clear off EBay. Unfortunately, the pic wasn't great and I didn't really look at it closely enough, so I ended up with the "disco ball" type.
--although I know a lot of people think they look like shite, has anyone actually put them on a Spyder and offered their opinion? Is it possible they would look good on it? Just asking.

2) Has anyone done BS's nite shades version on a 202 Spyder? What's the group consensus on how that would look? Maybe I'll try to PS one and post it for a "vote."

3) I went to SE's source from his post and could not find the lights or the bulbs. How long has it been since anyone's purchased these from them?

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
Hokie, this site might have the right type. The description of the part is correct here but I'm not sure this is the correct model number. You may have to research this a bit. But "Polarg Hybrid Visual Amber" is the key term. Check your owner's manual for the bulb type and you'll eventually find the right model.

Streetbeatcustoms doesn't carry the lenses or lights anymore, but e-bay or Amazon might hook you up.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
I think the tinted/smoked version would look super stealthy on the 202. You have them, tint and install and see what you think. Then post a pic so I can see if my head is picturing it properly.

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (djb @ Sep 24 2008, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think the tinted/smoked version would look super stealthy on the 202. You have them, tint and install and see what you think. Then post a pic so I can see if my head is picturing it properly.[/b]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhyT @ Sep 24 2008, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hokie I would definitely Night Shade the ones you ordered. They would look really good on a 202.[/b]
Alrighty then. Since I exist solely to please you, I will do as you requested. Gotta get the Nite Shade, then install and post pics. Maybe this weekend, maybe not. Too early to make plans.

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
Well, this royally SUCKS. Went to Autozone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys (ugh), and even checked Wally World while I was in there getting food for the pooch. NOBODY'S got Nite Shades. Now I'll have to order the stuff off the 'net and wait for them. I'm not patient enough for this. :let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhyT @ Sep 25 2008, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sorry I guess we could have told you. Nite Shades is only available online. I've never seen it in a store.[/b]
NOW you tell me! :icon_razz: No big deal. AutoZone was listed as a distributor online, though--but they didn't have it. Odd, because they sell all the other VHT products.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Now I'll have to order the stuff off the 'net and wait for them. I'm not patient enough for this.[/b]
Oh Jeez. Look - this car? You're gonna have to learn patience. Some GBs I've been in on took 9 months before I got the parts. Over and over, I've had the experience of coming home and finding some strange package on the doorstep and I think, "What the hell is this?" And I open it and I'm like, "Wow! I'd forgotten I'd even ordered this..."

It's like that. The main thing is that if you can find any vendor for any kind of part, get it now because they're all going out of business.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (southerneditor @ Sep 25 2008, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's like that. The main thing is that if you can find any vendor for any kind of part, get it now because they're all going out of business.[/b]
This is how I keep convincing my wife that I need to buy it right now.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts