MR2 SpyderChat banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (toojerry @ Sep 27 2008, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darkday @ Sep 27 2008, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Are you talking about the side marker bulbs in amber? The bulbs in the ones I have are already amber. I like the idea of the silver paint, though.[/b]
Don't paint the bulbs. That's a dink move when you can get silver bulbs that shine amber. Weren't those mentioned before in this thread?
[/b][/quote]

Haha a dink move is paying $20/pair of silver bulbs when amber bulbs will cost you $1.69/pair at Walmart plus 1oz of spray paint. But hey the economy needs your money so go for it.

-Jerry
[/b][/quote]
Hmm lets see here. We can either 1) Save about 38 bucks by lessening the light output of a side marker or 2) Keep the car as visible as possible and spend a little extra.

I suppose darwin move would be a better name for those who choose to go the cheaper route.

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
Hey, no arguing necessary. I found a pair of Xenon bulbs for the sidemarker--they're silver but glow amber when lit. $3.95 from my local Exclusive Automotive shop, FTW!

Probably gonna do the swap today, will get photos and start a new thread for the voting.

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
Alright, I'm not going to start a separate thread with a vote, for 2 reasons: 1) this info may be of value to future readers of this thread; and 2) there are some people whose opinions I don't really want to know, so I don't want to base a decision on a poll that might be skewed by those people.

Here are the "Euro" Celica sidemarkers. As has already been said, these have one big advantage over the JDM ones: you don't have to make any cuts on the bumper. They have the same housing as the Spyder side markers.

As they are right now:

Then I took the photos of Bean's Shadow's car with the Nite Shades as a comparison, and Photoshopped these with the same color as his tint.

Opinions?

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Opinions?[/b]
The disco ball type aren't as good as the JDM Celica, but they're better than anything BS has going. If you sorted the bulbs you can drive with a good feeling.

·
Registered
10,701 Posts

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
I think Jerry and you have different side markers. Yours are most definitely the disco ball markers and his look like the have horizontal lines in the lens.

Either way I think they look good on you car as is. I'd leave it alone.

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhyT @ Sep 27 2008, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think Jerry and you have different side markers. Yours are most definitely the disco ball markers and his look like the have horizontal lines in the lens.

Either way I think they look good on you car as is. I'd leave it alone.[/b]
Yeah, I think you're right, but mine do have a bit of horizontal. His aren't the JDM ones, either. Not sure which ones they are. I think I'm going to leave them as they are and see how I like them over time. Plus, Road Trip 2008 will be a good opportunity to survey folks about them.

I certainly think the disco ball ones would look bad on a Spyder without the 03+ headlights. If I decide I don't like these, I'll just get another (different) set somewhere down the road and swap them out. It's pretty easy to do, anyway.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. The Nite Shade is already shipped, so I'll just hold on to it when it arrives.

·
Registered
160 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darkday @ Sep 27 2008, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hmm lets see here. We can either 1) Save about 38 bucks by lessening the light output of a side marker or 2) Keep the car as visible as possible and spend a little extra.

I suppose darwin move would be a better name for those who choose to go the cheaper route.[/b]
You make me laugh, darkday. Quoted for others to enjoy.

-Jerry

·
Registered
160 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hokiemule @ Sep 27 2008, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Alright, I'm not going to start a separate thread with a vote, for 2 reasons: 1) this info may be of value to future readers of this thread; and 2) there are some people whose opinions I don't really want to know, so I don't want to base a decision on a poll that might be skewed by those people.

Here are the "Euro" Celica sidemarkers. As has already been said, these have one big advantage over the JDM ones: you don't have to make any cuts on the bumper. They have the same housing as the Spyder side markers.

Opinions?[/b]
I think they look good. Yeah they're disco but they fit in perfectly with the equally disco foglights and mirrored '03+ headlights. My side markers do look different from yours but I'd say thumbs up either way. New rule: disco > frosted for '03+ Spyders.

-Jerry

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (toojerry @ Sep 27 2008, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think they look good. Yeah they're disco but they fit in perfectly with the equally disco foglights and mirrored '03+ headlights. My side markers do look different from yours but I'd say thumbs up either way. New rule: disco > frosted for '03+ Spyders.[/b]
I'm leaning that way, too. I think they'd look ridiculous on a pre-03 model, but they do kinda go with the 03+ headlights. I think I do like yours a little better, but these are growing on me. The clear is DEFINITELY the way to go on the black ones.

I liked the 'stealth' concept of potentially shading them (and it's not totally out of the question, just unlikey), I think that would look better on a pre-03. There's nothing stealthy about the 03+ lights. The smoked ones might look good on a pre-03 202, though.

Thanks for the pics and the input.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I think they'd look ridiculous on a pre-03 model, but they do kinda go with the 03+ headlights.[/b]
I sense a change has now occurred in the Conventional Wisdom regarding this mod. Going forward, when people ask for advice about clear sidemarkers, we can now offer a more nuanced suggestion.

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
The side markers look great on that 202, Hokie. I have to agree with the statement that the JDM side markers are great for 03+.

I still prefer tinted ones for certain colors on the prefacelift models.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts