MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[Please put this in the library if worthy.]

This guide will show how easy it is to install S2000 seats on S2000 rails, leaving your MRS seats complete for sale to someone else (except we need to keep the MRS seatbelt clip, they can have the Honda seatbelt clip). The posts below it discuss using S2000 rails.

1) Remove the MRS seats.

2) Remove the female seatbelt connector from the MRS seats, install them the S2000 seats (so the MRS male seatbelt can clip in, it doesn’t fit in the S2000 female connector).

3) The S2000 seat-belt sensors clip in instantly to where the MRS sensors where (no adapter). The MRS passenger seat has a weight sensor that would disable the airbag (indicator flashes) if the seat-belt isn't used. No indicator flashes with the S2000 seat installed. Alternatively you could take advice from AKA RAFA: “You can very carefully cut out the factory weight sensor out of the foam lower seat off your stock bucket. and trim the foam to be almost paper thin without cutting into the sensor. then remove the lower leather cover on the s2k lower half, and place it in the same location where it was in the stock seat....I used some tape to keep it in place while I re installed the leather cover back on. then simply plug it back in and done. just like factory.”

4) Test fit the S2000 seat. You will see that the S2000 rails’ front feet need to be bent a little to be flat against the floor. You will see that the hole in the rails needs to be made larger using a drill (see pictures).

5) Measure where drilling is needed on the front feet to make them 1/8" larger and match the floor (See pictures)

6) Measure where drilling is needed on the rear-exterior rail foot (see pictures).

7) Remove the seats and drill the rails.

8) Install the seat via 3 MRS OEM bolts.

9) Two ways to connect the rear-console-side rail's foot:

• My approach: Drill a hole drilled into the car floor and reinforce it with a metal plate welded under the car. Also put a metal spacer plate on the top to get the seat level. Use a suitable bolt (see the pictures).
  • Zeppelinman's Approach: Fashion an L-bracket to use the MRS bolt location in the side wall (see Zeppelinman's picture in post 9). This L-bracket was originally welded to the MRS rail and he removed it to use with the S2000 rail.

My feedback on the seat: These leather seats are much lighter than my cloth MRS seats. Much more comfortable, they have a lot of support and are more firm than they appear. My back still breathes fine (no sweat in the sun). They sit a little higher than MRS but I don't mind even though I am 6'2.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a member who was able to attach the MRS's interior rail to the S2000 seat to use this OEM bolt hole.

·
Registered
663 Posts
There is a member who was able to attach the MRS's interior rail to the S2000 seat to use this OEM bolt hole.
this sounds easier but how hard is it to put the spyders rails on the s2k seats?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this sounds easier but how hard is it to put the spyders rails on the s2k seats?
It doesn't sound hard. Zeppelinman PM'd me: "I used the S2k rails so I modified them to work by drilling a hole on the easy side and by removing the old bracket from our spyder's seats and bolting it on to the S2k rail on the difficult side."

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
that will be a good idea for those wanting the spyder rails, but s2k seats.

i just find the whole weight savings when i opted with s2k rails. (somehow its a simpler design (s2k) over the spyder hence which is probably its lighter overall vs spyder seats+rails

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
It doesn't sound hard. Zeppelinman PM'd me: "I used the S2k rails so I modified them to work by drilling a hole on the easy side [of the s2k rail] and by removing the old bracket from our spyder's seats and bolting it on to the S2k rail on the difficult side."

It's kind of difficult to follow what I wrote up there w/o the rest of the context. Here's a picture of what I did:

Yes, I do own a vacuum...

Edit*
More pics from the cell this morning at a distance:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Zeppelinman! So if I understand correct, you cut that foot off of the MRS rail and bolted it to the S2k rail (this is how you made the L bracket).

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes. That little bracket is welded onto the stock rails so I removed it and added it to the S2K rails.
Thanks! I updated Post 1 with your input!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Craigslist. There's always at least a pair for sale here in L.A., CA
Yes the CraigsList prices in Socal range from $1200 (perfect) to $200 (multiple rips). Many of us have found perfect for $500.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm afraid I need to let you guys know, an ASTRONOMICAL amount of S2000's here in the socal area especially, have had their tops sliced open and seats stolen. Thats why insurance has jumped up on them.

If you see a good deal on a pair, keep in mind theres a high probability that they were involved in nefarious activity.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I'm afraid I need to let you guys know, an ASTRONOMICAL amount of S2000's here in the socal area especially, have had their tops sliced open and seats stolen. Thats why insurance has jumped up on them.

If you see a good deal on a pair, keep in mind theres a high probability that they were involved in nefarious activity.
I remember this topic coming up before and that's actually why I inquired so in depth to the origin of the seats I purchased. The good news is that there are a lot of S2K owners out there that want to swap their seats out for the red S2K seats and that's how I found the pair I purchased.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
seantc is Debbie Downer.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.