MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the 11.5lbs braille battery in. It came with the top mounting kit.
Tried to install and can't figure out how to mount it on top of the stock battery tray.
Do i need to get a different tray? if so, what kind?

thanks!!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I'm sure someone is going to call this ghetto but its worked for years and passed SCCA solo national event tech inspection, use a ratchet strap from Lowes and ratchet it around the battery and the tray, here is how it looks in a mk2 (excuse ghetto camera pic)

There are other fancier ways of just using shorter J hooks, etc. You don't need a different tray but just different mounting methods. Posting pics of how your battery sits in the tray will help determine a good way to mount it. I like this way though because it is fast, easy, cheap and effective. I guess it doesn't look the best though.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
I'm sure someone is going to call this ghetto but its worked for years and passed SCCA solo national event tech inspection, use a ratchet strap from Lowes and ratchet it around the battery and the tray, here is how it looks in a mk2 (excuse ghetto camera pic)

There are other fancier ways of just using shorter J hooks, etc. You don't need a different tray but just different mounting methods. Posting pics of how your battery sits in the tray will help determine a good way to mount it. I like this way though because it is fast, easy, cheap and effective. I guess it doesn't look the best though.
I used a similar method, actually, for a few years. Then I got Corky's mount. When I removed the straps I noticed they had become very hard and brittle feeling. This was with the battery located in the front. I imagine the process would be accelerated in the back due to heat. FYI.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I bought this battery box which I liked a few years ago from MMP. I cut the tab off and drilled some holes to bolt it down where the previous battery box was. I'm going to see if I find a flat piece of aluminum and drill where the OEM holes are and bolt the battery box to the that. I have to get a pic with it installed but here is the box. I paid 99.00 for the box if I remember right. Sorry for the bad contrast in the pic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts