MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removing the rear bumper cover is essential or helpful for several popular mods: muffler swap, '03+ rear grill swap, heat shield removal. The entire process takes no more than 15 minutes and reassembly really is as easy as "reverse all of the above." As elementary as it is, here's a step by step walk-through for the first timer.

Tools:
Flat blade screw driver, medium
10mm socket
Ratchet and small extension
Possibly a jack and jackstands / ramp

We start out with the gorgeous rump we all know and love.

Remove the license plate and unplug the 2 license plate lights.

Passenger's side tail light removal. Undo 2 bolts at the tabs indicated , then unplug the wiring harness (in the path of green arrow).

Unseat the tail light tabs from the car body, then pull the tail light left (toward the opposite tail light) to unseat a hidden plug. Picture is post removal to show the interface.

You can see how the small plug is oriented relative to the car and tail light. Repeat removal for driver's side tail light.

Unbolt 2 fasteners beneath passenger's tail lights, repeat for driver's side.
Note: The smaller tab on the bumper cover is fragile, try not to bend it once off the car.

Undo the 5 plastic pop rivets that run along the topside of the bumper.

Simply wedge a flat blade screw driver in the crevice...

...and pop it right up. These will not be damaged and are reusable.

3 more pop rivets await you beneath the car. These connect to the bottom of the bumper beam. Pictured is the center rivet.
Note: '04+ owners won't need a jack or ramps since our cars ride so high, but early model owners probably will.
Note2: If you still have the stock rear diaper underneath the car, that'll need to be removed at this time as well.

Passenger's side rivet.

Driver's side rivet.

2 bolts connect the bumper to the passenger side wheel liner. (Already undone in picture). The mounting tabs stay with the wheel liner, so on reassembly the bumper slides into the tabs. Repeat for driver's side.

And inside the passenger wheel well is another bolt that connects the bumper to the quarter panel. You'll need an extension to reach it. Undo here and on driver's side.

The last tab on the passenger side holds the side of the bumper to the fender. You won't see this as its hidden by the bumper. Pull the bumper side away from the fender. When you feel resistance, raise the bumper side and pull again. You'll free it of its last tab. Repeat for driver's side.

Lastly, pull the bumper off from the rear of the car and you'll have something like this! Your license plate will already have been removed, I simply reinstalled it for this picture. I've also previously removed the large tool tray heatshield and installed an Apexi World Sport2 exhaust.

If you have a '04+ model, slap on the license plate, tail lights, and you're ready to go offroading!

"Reassembly is in the reverse order," and I promise is just as easy. Much less tricky to realign than the front bumper as the only thing to match up is the bumper to wheel liner.

I hope this was helpful!

-Jerry

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
Library item.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
When Dev and I did my TTE install, we removed the main bumper support bar. It made it so much easier to get the muffler in place. It's just three bolts one each side through the holes.

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
Here's another note:

Those little poppets are stocked by napa. They are technically for a chevy IIRC but come in a pack of 7 for around 5 bucks. The number in the upper left corner of the baggie is 665-3147. I just replaced two of my lower poppets today because I mangled them a little when doing my exhaust install. They worked perfect.

Always a good idea to keep a few spares on hand. :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
I'd like to resubmit the recommendation that this thread gets moved to the library. I had to take my bumper off this weekend to put on the TRD Exhaust, and had a hard time locating this thread. It really belongs in the How-to section.

Please?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darkday @ Oct 5 2008, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Here's another note:

Those little poppets are stocked by napa. They are technically for a chevy IIRC but come in a pack of 7 for around 5 bucks. The number in the upper left corner of the baggie is 665-3147. I just replaced two of my lower poppets today because I mangled them a little when doing my exhaust install. They worked perfect.

Always a good idea to keep a few spares on hand. :icon_thumright:[/b]
Is "poppet" the official term for those? OP called them pop rivets, which actually look like this:

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I love how quick it is to disassemble this car! I have to stop myself struggling to reach tight areas. It's only 15 minutes of work to remove either of the bumpers. I've been slowly replacing plastic rivets with rivnuts and 10mm bolts. I hate plastic rivets!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Removing the rear bumper cover is essential or helpful for several popular mods: muffler swap, '03+ rear grill swap, heat shield removal. The entire process takes no more than 15 minutes and reassembly really is as easy as "reverse all of the above." As elementary as it is, here's a step by step walk-through for the first timer.

Undo the 5 plastic pop rivets that run along the topside of the bumper.

I hope this was helpful!

-Jerry
Anybody know the part number for these plastic pop rivets - I seem to have lost a few. I think it's either #90467-08011-83 or #90467-07059-22 but really have no clue.

I've been slowly replacing plastic rivets with rivnuts and 10mm bolts. I hate plastic rivets!
Should I just be like cyclehead?
TIA!

·
Registered
485 Posts
If you go with rivnuts, don't do what I did. I slipped and drilled through my AC condensor, then had to listen to it hiss out all my freon for the next 20 minutes.
Ouch! How did you do that? I only need the 3 in the middle and it doesn't look like there's anything under there?

Kind of at the 2:16 mark of this video is where I'm talking about, not the ends where he has screwdrivers wedged in!

·
Registered
485 Posts
It's 52161-16010
Thanks!

Was thinking about going back with these bolts I have for the splash shield on my Lexus (Toyota) with some type of nut from the hardware store;

Maybe these clips I have for my other car would work although they have a different part number;

Probably best to just order a few of the correct ones I suppose.

·
Registered
485 Posts
It's 52161-16010
My stealership wants $3.69 each! Found a 20-pack online at that price.

Think I'll just go back with some screws...

Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts