MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the disc pads on the rear brakes. I've taken off the lower bolt and I've lifted it up. But on the upper part, I don't see anything to unscrew. Is there a trick to this? Help is appreciated guys. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
1 bolt holds the whole thing on.Tilt it up,push towards the car and it will slide off the long pin on the other side.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Also don't forget you'll need a special tool to push in the pucks on the rear calipers due to the parking brake mechanism.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Where can I buy this special tool? How does this look like?
It's a tool that turns the puck while pushing it in, if you try and push it in without turning you might dammage it. I rented one at my local hardware/car repair shop. It's a common tool, I'll try and find a picture.
edit check: http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/page_6504/rear_brake_caliper_piston_tool_set_kd_41540.html
Find a local shop that rents these kind of tools, this looks like the one I rented. You also have two grooves on the puck, the pin on your tab has to align with one of these grooves.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I rented the special tool at pep boys. I'm trying to push the piston back in, but it's hardly moving. Is it always like this pushing the piston back in? I took the cap off from the master cylinder, it moves but barely. How far does the piston have to go back in?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Pushed all the way back it should be almost flush with the caliper, they can be very hard to move and you may not be able to or have to get it that far. Basically it has to be moved back enough to be able to install the pads and the wheel to still turn somewhat freely while pushing it with your hands.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Let us know how you made out.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I finally had time to work on this. I was called in yesterday from work and all kinds of family obligations this morning. (Never a dull moment in life I swear). I think I got the piston all the way in or not. Because when I put in the brake pads and put the caliper down, just when it's almost down it gets stuck. Something is stopping it to go all the way down. Maybe I didn't get the piston all the way in? I notice that there is small notch on the small pad on the other side. Maybe that is what's stopping to go down?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts