MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I've been searching for everything I can think of here to try and find all the info I can on the factory remote keyless entry system. When I bought my 2000 MR2 the people I got it from said the key fob just needed programming. I have attempted to do the 2 different programming procedures multiple times, and nothing at all happens. The one key i have is a black master key also.
The more I've searched, the more I'm thinking my car probably doesn't even have keyless entry at all since it is a 2000, but there may still be a chance I just suck at the programming and can't get the sequences exact.
All the old posts I'm digging up have stupid photobucket accounts so I can't see any pictures regarding this. Also can't seem to find info with a generic Google search either (unless I'm just searching the wrong words).

Does anyone know the location of where the factory keyless entry system module would be installed so I can check to see if I even have it? Also what the module would look like? I've also tried searching for the Toyota VIP and RS3200 systems (if i remembered those right) with no luck.

It would be so much easier if I could just confirm whether or not I even have this installed rather than attempting programming for no reason :D, also I'm thinking this may help other Spyder owners with the same issue since it seems like all I can find are key fob programming instructions.

If anyone has a picture of the factory module, and where it would be installed, that would be amazing. Or point me in the direction of a post I missed with this info.

Thanks in advance guys!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From my understanding of the posts I've found it was a dealer installed option for the 2000 model year.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
From my understanding of the posts I've found it was a dealer installed option for the 2000 model year.
I've never heard of it being a dealer installed option .

I guess you could go have a dealer install an aftermarket alarm / keyless entry if that's what you mean .

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,668 Posts
So let me get this right. My 2002 should have keyless? Can anyone provide a link to programming and where to buy a FOB?

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
So let me get this right. My 2002 should have keyless? Can anyone provide a link to programming and where to buy a FOB?
Just to be clear - this is for keyless entry - door locks only.
I bought this one on ebay. You need to verify that it has the same FCC ID number (BAB237 .....) as your factory remote.
Pairing instructions were slightly different between the Toyota procedure, and the procedure that came with this fob (online instructions).
I ended up fiddling with both procedures and got it to pair properly.
below...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Replacement-Keyless-Entry-Remote-Key-Fob-Transmitter-For-BAB237131-056/111574742204?epid=1860415901&hash=item19fa5f74bc:g:th4AAOSw~CRTquFa&vxp=mtr

I THINK this is the procedure I got to work, and it is a mix of procedures that came with the eBay remote, and the Toyota factory procedure:
===================

2001 MR2 Spyder

1. Start with the key out of the ignition, drivers door is open all others closed and
drivers door is unlocked.

2. Perform these steps within 5 seconds.
A. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.
B. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Close then open the drivers door.
B. Close then open the drivers door.
C. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Close then open the drivers door.
B. Close then open the drivers door.
C. Insert the key into ignition and leave it in ignition.
D. Close the drivers door.
E. Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF.
F. Remove the key from the ignition.

5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically
indicating successful entry into programming mode.
Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the remote simultaneously for 1.5 seconds.
B. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons,
Press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door
locks should lock and then unlock once indicating successful programming. If
the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps A and B in step 6 as the remote was
not accepted.
C. Repeat steps A and B in step 6 for each new remote.

7. Open drivers door.

Toyota Part Number: 08191-00922

Numbers on the back of the remote FCC ID: BAB237131-056

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,668 Posts
Neat! Can't go wrong for $17 Although, turning the key manually somehow also feels right with this car.

Anyway, I wonder if it will still learn the new remote without the 2ZZ ECU in my car.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
The 2000 model didn't come with keyless entry . All other years did .
I was also under this impression but those on Facebook proved different.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That went off topic quickly... Lol...

So just to clear things up, I'm not looking for keyfob pairing instructions, tons of posts about that.

Just want to know where the keyless entry module would be installed so I can check the car to see if the previous owner installed it. Would it be under the dash? Driver's or passengers side? Somewhere else? Does anyone have a set of installation instructions for any keyless systems? I just haven't been able to find anything.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Easiest way to find out what equipment your car shipped with is to call a toyota dealer parts department and give them your VIN number. Ask them if they can email you the data card/ build sheet for your vehicle.

I did that probably a handful of times before i owned mine and was still looking to buy.

Brad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts