MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an "aux input" box so that I could play music through the factory head unit without the compromises of a cassette or FM interface.

As many of you know, these boxes fool the head unit into thinking there is a CD Changer connected to the connector on the rear of the head unit, so that you can pipe music in through RCA jacks or a 3.5 mm stereo phone plug.

In order to make it work, you have to put the head unit into CD Changer mode. The head unit has a single CD player and CD input button. Its display has icons and softkeys it uses with the CD changer. But it does not have a CD Changer input button.

In many Toyotas, and many other circumstances, too, you do this by pressing the "CD" input button twice. I have also read a recommendation that you need only press CD once, and another recommendation that you press CD then "Seek >" immediately thereafter.

None of these work for me. The owner's manual for the MR2 (2001) talks about using the CD changer, but not how to get it to be the input.

Perhaps my new aux input box just doesn't work. But I can't really tell unless I know how I would be getting it to play if it were a CD changer.

How does yours work? What year Spyder is it?

--Joe Gorin
Santa Rosa, Calif.
2001 Spyder, bought new

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
2001 - I put a CD in the slot and it becomes a CD player. Other than that I don't know of anyway to change the input since they didn't come with changers.

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
Are you thinking that there is some secret moves to get there? The mid range adjustment is press and hold the tone knob until you hear a beep, then toggle through until you see IIId. That would be great if there is a way to do that.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I have the ipod/mp3 player interface made by Axxess, which looks like this:

The white plug in the picture plugs into the CD changer port on the Toyota stereo. I installed it simultaneously with an upgrade to a 2008 Matrix head unit (and later used it on a Scion T1806 head unit). In both cases, to switch from the single disc in-unit CD player to the CD changer input was to press the CD button twice.

Rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts