MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, not quite a new member yet. More like prospective member. Looking to buy one pretty soon.

In planning to cheap out on the purchase, there will be an engine swap in my future. Been looking at JDM engines (and searching here), and it seems like it's very hard to know if the donor engine is pre/post 03. MW has long blocks that they state are 05+, but those are considerably more expensive.

Seems like it's not worth it and as long as the pre-cats are gone, if its 00-03, it's not that bad and so be it. I'm not going to be doing any crazy mods or racing or things like that. Probably replace clutch also while I have the engine out?

I'd like to do the swap myself. Never done something to that scale, but I do work on my cars so if I take it slow, I think I can do it.

Thanks all, and hopefully I'll make it to a DMV meetup in the spring once I have things humming.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
+1 to what Cap said. The difference is a design issue which causes oil consumption.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
A few years back I purchased a brand new short block from MWR. Definitely wanted to do it once. The new 1ZZ has not used any oil in 55k. When I first purchased the spyder 11 yrs ago at 47k it was using a qt every 3k. At 120k it was using a qt every 1k. The writing was on the wall and I was prepared for that at the time of purchase. Since I had a new short block I decided to try a ported head and stage one cams so I also purchased a new head, valves and springs. I did a 3 angle valve job.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
03+ only, got it. Still not sure how to differentiate, other than trusting the seller. I saw some discussion of serial numbers on the engine, but seems like that might have been inconclusive.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I buy most of mine off Ebay , look for an engine / trans combo .... look for the green stubs in the transaxle and it's most likely an 03+ . Or look for one with engine and smt tranaxle with a 6sp ... it will also be an 03+ then you could sell the smt parts , or convert the smt 6sp and use it in your car .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

A little rough around the edges, but not too shabby and I got a good deal. 2001 with 150k miles. Eating oil, but that's fine for now as I'm gonna swap it. I'm excited to get to work and feel like I got in way over my head!

·
Registered
3 Posts
well, not quite a new member yet. More like prospective member. Looking to buy one pretty soon.

In planning to cheap out on the purchase, there will be an engine swap in my future. Been looking at JDM engines (and searching here), and it seems like it's very hard to know if the donor engine is pre/post 03. MW has long blocks that they state are 05+, but those are considerably more expensive.

Seems like it's not worth it and as long as the pre-cats are gone, if its 00-03, it's not that bad and so be it. I'm not going to be doing any crazy mods or racing or things like that. Probably replace clutch also while I have the engine out?

I'd like to do the swap myself. Never done something to that scale, but I do work on my cars so if I take it slow, I think I can do it.

Thanks all, and hopefully I'll make it to a DMV meetup in the spring once I have things humming.
Good luck and enjoy the fun of these cars. I am the same as you and managed to remove the engine it took a day to remove a day to clean and replace parts and a day to put back in . Keep all electrical harness with the engine and unplug it from the ECU behind the luggage compartment. Yes replace clutch check thrust bearing and fly wheel. Check out water pump but I would replace . Check out how smoothly the belt guides run any wobble or rough running replace. If thermostat ok no problem but easy to do with engine out NOTE thermostat has to be positioned correctly with by pass hole uppermost if I remember. It is possible to do your self take your time and have fun !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts