MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So i bought after market wheels with a hub bore of 56.6 i know our stock one is 54.1 (bareky any difference)do i need to a buy a hub centric ring for this? The rim shops keep telling me i do but i want your guys opinion on this because they dont stop telking me i need it.. Thank you

·
Registered
620 Posts
I’ve never ran them on aftermarket wheels because.. conical lug nuts and proper mounting & torque pattern ensures a centered wheel. Never had an issue nor have I ever heard of an issue.

I do believe they’re necessary for bolt-type and maybe flat/shank lug nuts. But I respectfully disagree with your mechanic. He might be shilling them to you for liability reasons or up$elling.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
No need to machine, the cheapo plastic ones do just fine. My local performance shop gave me four plastic rings for my wheels. I also had some from eBay for running OEM BRZ wheels on my CT200h.
IMO better safe than sorry. Are they necessary on aftermarket wheels? Absolutely not. I'd still run em.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, thanks for the feedback guys i appreciate it.. I did purchase conical lugs because the stock lugs would not fit properly on the rims.. So i should be fine like some of you mentioned.. Thank you again

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay guys i installed them with conical lugs and the car at 10-15 mphs feels like it is on a bouncy house.. Then at 55+ mph the steering wheel begins to vibrate excessivley.. Im guessing i ak goingnto need those rings or i just didnt torque them correctly? The tires are balanced and i dont believe i have an alignment issue.

·
Registered
866 Posts
If you race, stay away from the plastic rings. I have seen them get melted from high brake rotor temps. Get some machined from aluminum instead.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Sorry for putting it this way, but I am known for doing this, so get over it. Do you have some reason for NOT wanting to install the hub centric rings? The only reason I can think of is pure stupidity. But maybe there are some other reasons that I am not aware of. Edify me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts