MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do I get the front hubs off?I have all the bolts off and caliper/rotor off.I've been beating on it but it wont come off.Is there a special tool or do I need a bigger hammer?

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.I just wanted to make sure I was doing it right.I went and got a 3 lb. baby sledge from Harbor Freight.I hope it works.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well,after wacking on it for a while and applying heat I got nowhere.I only managed to disable my car.I noticed a threaded hole in the center of the hub.I think I'm gonna see if I can find a bolt that fits and use a slide hammer.Can't seem to fing a hub puller for the front hubs on a RWD car.Only FWD hub puller and it wont work.Any other ideas? I will commence another round of beating tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The last 2 winters are the likely cause.I'm gonna try again tomorrow. I soaked it in PB blaster.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
3 lb. baby sledge from Harbor Freight.I hope it works.
Honestly, on a Northeast parts car I had I was swinging the full long-handle sledge at it and the hubs wouldn't budge. Had the car been on jack stands it would have been knocked off. You need to break the seal between hub and carrier.... PB might do it. Heat probably would (but would for sure disable your car if it doesn't). Apparantly the vibration from the air chisel/hammer does it quickly and easily. But that's no help if you don't have a compresor.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ding Ding !!! I got it off.continuous beating,PB blaster and torch for 30 minutes straight.I have to say the car feels totally different now.I reason for replacing my hubs was a steering issue.My car had a tendency to wander over 45 mph.I got Che's rear adjustable set up,new tires,set the rear toe in a smidgen,tire pressure and repeated alignments.None of these things fixed the issue.My friend did my inspection a few weeks ago and said my front wheel barrings had a littke play and it may be my problem.My car drives like new again and the front hub was the gremlin.....

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
I am sure you feel much better now. Sometimes beating on something feels real good. I prefer the torch though.

I hope you put some anti seize on the mating surface so it will never have to come off again. When ever I do that I never have to visit the issue again (Murphy)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts