MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well like the title says i hydroplaned my MR2 :( its drivable but the front and rear bumper got damaged and both the reinforcements are bent :/
the difficult thing at the moment is not fixing it but finding replacements for both bumpers since they are veilside would any of you guys know where i would be able to find the veilside kit sold separately instead of buying all of the parts again which i dont wanna spend $5500+

(idk if im posting this on the right category this is my first time posting something up so my bad if im on the wrong one)

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
What was the tire wet performance rating. I try to go with AAA rated tires. You really want to run wet road tires for the obvious reason. Wet road tires are not to be used in winter driving weather.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I don't think texas gets much winter driving weather, were your tires used or did it just happen with heavy rain. Never experienced this with mine, don't drive it much when it rains though.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I'm running A/S Tires on mine, and I get $h!t for it on a regular basis.. There are times that I'm driving slower than traffic, as things just don't feel right when it's raining... a 2,200 Lb car on 205's is a LOT like Skis, and sometimes things get squirly when it's wet... I really Like my A/S tread Design for keeping things good.. But then again.. mine is a DD ALL year.. ( No Snow yet.. but we got sleet this year )..

If mine was a weekend toy, I'd have something Wider, Smoother and Lower on it.. and NO RAINY DRIVING..

Sorry you bounced around in the Spyder.. Glad your OK..

Cap

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm glad you're ok since material things can be replaced. Mines a DD too and I've driven in a few torrential downpours with no ill effects. I have noticed the need to be extremely cognizant of when and how much gas you give the car when the road is anything but bone dry; first time I fish-tailed was the first week I had the car. It was raining and I gave a little too much gas while turning uphill (terrible combination). If you were straight and level and truly hydroplaned, there's not too much you can do though :unsure:

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I drive really slow in the Spyder when it rains. I had the Bridgestone REO40's and the car just doesnt feel planted in the rain.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok, best of luck fixing things and a speedy recovery if you are still sore.

Living in seattle, I just got used to driving in the rain. Seems like it rains every day here. With summer tires/all seasons feels the same to me. Big thing is just braking distance, and different throttle control. Had a huge rain shower last night and I noticed how stable the car was in the wet. Call me strange but I prefer the MR layout when conditions go bad.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I drive really slow in the Spyder when it rains. I had the Bridgestone REO40's and the car just doesnt feel planted in the rain.
had those tires, and with them I drove slower than slow in the rain. I found out really soon when I first got the spyder how scary it can be on wet surface. Even with new tires I still take it slower than slow, spydie does not like the rain, or wet roads.

Call me strange but I prefer the MR layout when conditions go bad.
crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy! when conditions go bad, I like to leave the spyder alone and pray for the best!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
you can try contacting veilside, but I think shipping is gonna hit you for just about the price of a full kit. They would also be able to possibly get you in touch with a distributor that sells individual pieces.

Of course, you can start searching for veilsides that got in the side... glwt

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well this happened when it was raining real real bad I had just got off of work around 12am I was driving about 25 on the slow lane the thread on my tires were good I had komho ecsta ast the thing that made me hydroplane was a 18 wheeler I was doing good driving back home i actually only had about 2-3 miles left to get there well when i was going up hill on a small bridge i got to the top and then the 18 wheeler passes me up doing probably 50 or so after he passes me I start feeling all the water pushing me to the curb and that's where it happened going down hill I went down the hill side ways hit the curb front first then the back hit only damage to me is the pain done to the MR2 and a bump to the head on the window but that's the least of it I got a hard head lol and I was surprised air bags didn't come out :/ I drove it home with the rear bumper hanging only from one side and parked it in my garage called the insurance told them what happened and well now it's being taken care of

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Well this happened when it was raining real real bad I had just got off of work around 12am I was driving about 25 on the slow lane the thread on my tires were good I had komho ecsta ast the thing that made me hydroplane was a 18 wheeler I was doing good driving back home i actually only had about 2-3 miles left to get there well when i was going up hill on a small bridge i got to the top and then the 18 wheeler passes me up doing probably 50 or so after he passes me I start feeling all the water pushing me to the curb and that's where it happened going down hill I went down the hill side ways hit the curb front first then the back hit only damage to me is the pain done to the MR2 and a bump to the head on the window but that's the least of it I got a hard head lol and I was surprised air bags didn't come out :/ I drove it home with the rear bumper hanging only from one side and parked it in my garage called the insurance told them what happened and well now it's being taken care of

·
Registered
578 Posts
Couple of things to keep in mind about wet roads.

One, if the road has been dry for a while and it's now newly wet, all the oil and road grime that's been laid down comes up. Everybody knows oil and water don't mix, and they slide over each other even more easily than either one alone. This slop lubricates the road even better than the oil lubricates all those commuter's cars, and it collects on your tires. Roads that haven't been wet for a while are super slippery. Drive like you're on ice.

Two, if there's standing water visible on the road surface, and you're going at much more than a walking pace, you're gonna be driving over that water, not through it. If the depth of the water is half the depth of your tread -or more- you're guaranteed to hydroplane, no getting around it. This is especially true in a light car with fat tires.

Interestingly, one of our Seattle area members has recommended exactly that tire to me for its grip in the wet.

Sorry 'bout your car's body; glad yours is OK.

·
Registered
120 Posts
What was the tire wet performance rating. I try to go with AAA rated tires. You really want to run wet road tires for the obvious reason. Wet road tires are not to be used in winter driving weather.

Good to know. I just got new tires and was unaware of this traction rating. AAs to my relief, could of been worse. Learn something new every day on this forum.
A certain luck guided over my witlessness.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
.....my rule top down -drive like you stole it. Top Up drive like grandma
I love this!

I had to run up to Estes Park today. The drive is about 25 miles of the beautiful, but twisty-Thompson Canyon. It looked like Scotland here today... low, scudding wet clouds and about 50% of the road was damp from the mists and water content in the air. I usually smoke up that canyon, but not this morning. Today I was grandma. Even though my top was down (no precipitation) cars were passing me at every opportunity. I was even pulling over to allow commuters to go on by at times. Finally, at about 6,750 feet of elevation (half way up the Canyon) the sun broke out, the road was bone dry and by then my tires had warmed to a noticable level; ... I think I passed everyone who had previously gone by! Grandma was in the trunk with the top.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts