MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having done all the work on the directory of 2005 Spyders I decided to do a buyers guide to the last two years. If the Spyder ever gets collectible these two years will stand out from the others. Super low mileage early cars will also be collectible and there are plenty available. I have most of the information I need on production numbers, colors, options. Much of the video will be my opinion and I realize some will disagree with my opinions. 2004 production 2800 and 2005 production at 780 low number imported and the limited slip option available makes the difference in earlier cars and these. I will mention 2003 too. I will be working on it over the next few months but my low mileage cars came with documentation and options that will be highlighted in the video. Most controversial will be the discussion of the SMT. I disagree with many on the collectability of the SMT because due to the high attrition rate, original cost difference (they were $1,000 more than the stick) fact that they all had cruise control, were six speed cars and most had limited slip and the technology as bad as it was limited to this car, I feel in the long haul of collectability the low mileage SMT full option cars may outvalue the sticks. If I had a museum and was displaying an example of a no longer produced sports car by Toyota I would have a SMT and include a description of the technology on the display. Stay tuned for more on this project. Lee

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I like the SMT even if it wasn’t collectible. It’s just cool! I’m planning on being buried in it.
At some point though, parts will probably be scarce.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
While some may think it is controversial, if the Spyder does make it to collector car status, a clean working SMT will probably be worth more than a manual because there may so few left because of the reasons mentioned. Rarity typically increases value.

But the first big question is if or when will any Spyder reach the stage where its value as a collector car goes up enough to cover the costs to keep it. 5 years, 10, 20, 30? Right now, really low mileage Spyders seem to be holding value, but some are being bought and used as regular drivers, or still being modified, so that pool is shrinking.

The second issue is keeping the SMT working. Many have made it to high mileage, but age has its impacts, even if the car isn't used much. So if you bought the Spyder to drive, will it last?

I guess the real issue is why did you buy the Spyder. If you bought it as an investment and are willing to drive it sparingly and wait years for the investment to "mature", maybe a low mileage SMT is a good bet. But if you bought the car to drive a bit more often, maybe not.

We bought our Spyders to drive and even though they only get a couple thousand miles a year, they will probably never be collector cars.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
I can't see the spyder ever becoming a collectors car personally. It is a fantastic car for what it is, but I doubt collectors would have any interest in it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All great observations. I own two 2005 spyders and a 2003 daily driver modified. Very few owners on this group and the facebook group see the spyder as a collector car. There are plenty low mileage examples in all of the years. That said most of the special cars I have owned over the years (200+) I have driven for free or made a few bucks at the sale. Not true with most of my wife's cars over the years which depreciate like a falling rock. I feel the right spyders should be such cars that you buy for $x dollars and sell for x or above in a few years. Given two years ago one of the best 2005s in the world sold for $23k with 89 original miles they are still a crazy great value. The intent of the buyers guide is not to create a run on the bank for 2004 and 2005 spyders. I plan to highlight the car, options, and advise future buyers on the best cars to buy if you want a free or a few bucks profit upon sale spyder to enjoy and love. I already own two of the best so unless I find another holy grail car or a yellow 2005 limited slip with 20k miles with all options I have two great examples to enjoy.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I can't see the spyder ever becoming a collectors car personally. It is a fantastic car for what it is, but I doubt collectors would have any interest in it.
That's a great assessment. I can't think of any parts-bin creations from the modern era that have become classics, let alone collectable. If the Corolla had a following and if they hadn't shoved the 1zz in the Spyder (the 2zz wouldnt have been that much better) it would have better chances. I think it might be a minor classic some day along with other oddities of the era such as the Honda Del Sol. For sure, it won't be shunned at a car show like a 4 door Chevy or an AMC Pacer. I just hope those who have nice ones don't butcher them up!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The best example for me was at Toyotafest in Long Beach CA. 2019 700+ Toyotas of all makes and models. I took my 03 and my daughter took the black 05. The black 05 was shown as it rolled off the showroom floor. Window sticker on the window, paper dealer plates and original dealer license frame. It was (in my opinion) the best original car in the show and very few noticed and it didn't get any award. My 03 widebody daily driver people were falling over themselves because of the Work wheels and other upgrades that the young car guys loved. The widebody was the first 00-05 award at Toyotafest for our era cars. All of the prior awards usually go to the early Mr2's. It was a bit discouraging to see the focus of that event which I don't plan to attend again with my cars.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the SMT even if it wasn’t collectible. It’s just cool! I’m planning on being buried in it.
At some point though, parts will probably be scarce.
Until I owned one I was a "head for the hills" attitude person. I like mine and plan to enjoy it for a long time. If it breaks I will fix it or have it fixed. I have all the spare parts set aside incase of problems in the future.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Until I owned one I was a "head for the hills" attitude person. I like mine and plan to enjoy it for a long time. If it breaks I will fix it or have it fixed. I have all the spare parts set aside incase of problems in the future.
They are a joy to drive especially in traffic, and if you know the lift-shift timing trick, a 6500 rpm gear change is every bit as satisfying as shifting a manual. I miss my triple-black '03 SMT and the fair weather work commutes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It sounds like you have a very interesting project. I look forward to your finished work. I have a 2005 Spyder with an SMT and 47,000 miles. It has been flawless and a joy to drive over the winding mountain passes here in Wyoming and Montana. I’ve also driven it through stop & go traffic in Yellowstone National Park... as the Bison heard wanders over and around the narrow road. If you want to know how low a Spyder is and how huge Bison are... Yellowstone is the place to be. The SMT transmission has been wonderful and I quickly grew to really enjoy driving with it. I also have a 2009 TT Quattro and love that car too... it is amazing how both roadsters are so very different and yet equally enjoyable to drive. The Spyder is a summer car, the TT only stops when the snow on the road is deeper than the front end. I love them both. :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like a great car. 47k miles is on the low end on my list of 05 cars. Most are now at or above 100k miles but many low mileage creampuffs exist. I sent you a private message to add you to my 2005 directory. Here is how another 05 SMT is listed.
jtdfr320150070810 8r2 Paradise Blue 108k miles Canton Mi smt no ls
I don't include owner, addresses or phone numbers. The cars are listed like this. ls is limited slip differential. Thanks Lee

1 - 12 of 12 Posts