MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have left the fossil world with my purchase of a new VW e-up. I'm never ever gonna go back to a gas/diesel vehicle because for me it's way cheaper to drive fully electric.
Wheel Tire Automotive side-view mirror Car Vehicle

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I've been driving my gf's new Nissan Leaf & I have to say its really nice as a daily/commuter car. The range still isn't good enough for the type of trips & driving I frequently do as high speed, inclines, & rapid acceleration absolutely murder the battery range. Steep inclines, headwinds, & highway speeds can give you under 1 mile/kWh...so the range can become under 60 miles on a full charge.

That said, its loaded with features (I honestly find most of the "safety" features annoying), gets the advertised 215 miles of range depending on where/how you drive, gets some nice rebate incentives, & definitely makes sense in a place like Cali where gas is like liquid gold & charging spots are ubiquitous. Tesla still wins out by miles in terms of battery technology & charging speed at this point though.

Reactions: pwnzor

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drive 40 km to work and home again an the same thing in the afternoon after 4-5 hours at home. 160 km a day and I have no range anxiety. Wall box at home and a WTPL range of 260 km. 25% of the cost driving the most cheapest gas car in a Peugeot 107 that I had before.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
never ever gonna go back
Cool car, but never say never....

My brother has been driving a 1st gen Leaf for just over 7 years now. It has (had) a 90 mile range when new. The battery gauge has 12 bars in it, now it only goes up to 10 with a full charge.

That being said, he has had ZERO problems with it. He also tells me it has full power right up to the end so he can get home from work on a low charge, he said he made it one time with 7% just to see if he could. He commutes 16 miles each way, so it's perfect for him. He charges it at work, so his electric bill has never gone up. He has the 220 volt charger and has only used it a couple of times. I'm looking at used Leafs on the usual used car sites and given the testimony to their utility and reliability, the prices seem pretty fair. So I'm thinking about an electric car, but I don't think I'll ever be 100% electric.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I drive 40 km to work and home again an the same thing in the afternoon after 4-5 hours at home. 160 km a day and I have no range anxiety. Wall box at home and a WTPL range of 260 km. 25% of the cost driving the most cheapest gas car in a Peugeot 107 that I had before.
So tell us a bit more, I like the look of the car... how much did you shell out for it, and do you have a special charger in your garage? (edit: just noticed you said you had a wall box) - what does that wall box consist of?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Speaking of costs...CA has a lot of free EV charging locations...put 2k miles on the thing doing various road trips to parks & such...spent $45 on charging during that time. Couple that with no fluid maintenance (coolant changed at 10yrs/150k miles & brake fluid) and the costs are incredibly low per mile over time.

I don't have range anxiety, but I do have legit range issues dependingbon the trip. For example, our visit to Joshua Tree NP wouldn't have been possible in an EV with less range than the 215 of the "extended range" Leaf. She also goes skydiving & the trip would not be possible in a standard range Leaf or equivalent ranged EV.

IMO once they figure out how to make long haul trucking fully EV the consumer side will be incredible as that means battery technology/ long range & extremely fast charging (<10 mins empty -->80%) will be possible.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
@ Form .... that's kinda funny driving an ev to go for a ride in a gas guzzling airplane .
It could be worse, I know some ppl that had to pay for their minute of fun for the next 18 yrs

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So tell us a bit more, I like the look of the car... how much did you shell out for it, and do you have a special charger in your garage? (edit: just noticed you said you had a wall box) - what does that wall box consist of?
The wall box has a capacity of 11 kw ac but the car manges max 7,2 kw. 7,2 kw is standard for most ev ac charging. I bought it directly from Ali express cheap. They are imported to Sweden and then has different names and double the price. In Sweden you get about half of the cost from the government but even without that i got half the price total buying it directly and had an electrician installing it and hand him the installation cost just like that.

The box is actually a stupid switch. The car itself manage everything like charging level and schedule departures and tells the box when to turn on and off. In my case it's actually an VW-app in my phone for setting everything up.

My cost for daily driving is now 25% compared to my previous gas-car and even if i pay every month for this new car I'm going plus. The gas price in Sweden is now over 2 us dollars for 1 liter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts