MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I've been driving my gf's new Nissan Leaf & I have to say its really nice as a daily/commuter car. The range still isn't good enough for the type of trips & driving I frequently do as high speed, inclines, & rapid acceleration absolutely murder the battery range. Steep inclines, headwinds, & highway speeds can give you under 1 mile/kWh...so the range can become under 60 miles on a full charge.

That said, its loaded with features (I honestly find most of the "safety" features annoying), gets the advertised 215 miles of range depending on where/how you drive, gets some nice rebate incentives, & definitely makes sense in a place like Cali where gas is like liquid gold & charging spots are ubiquitous. Tesla still wins out by miles in terms of battery technology & charging speed at this point though.

Reactions: pwnzor

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Speaking of costs...CA has a lot of free EV charging locations...put 2k miles on the thing doing various road trips to parks & such...spent $45 on charging during that time. Couple that with no fluid maintenance (coolant changed at 10yrs/150k miles & brake fluid) and the costs are incredibly low per mile over time.

I don't have range anxiety, but I do have legit range issues dependingbon the trip. For example, our visit to Joshua Tree NP wouldn't have been possible in an EV with less range than the 215 of the "extended range" Leaf. She also goes skydiving & the trip would not be possible in a standard range Leaf or equivalent ranged EV.

IMO once they figure out how to make long haul trucking fully EV the consumer side will be incredible as that means battery technology/ long range & extremely fast charging (<10 mins empty -->80%) will be possible.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
@ Form .... that's kinda funny driving an ev to go for a ride in a gas guzzling airplane .
It could be worse, I know some ppl that had to pay for their minute of fun for the next 18 yrs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts