MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't belive it! (About the SMT-fluid).

Talking to a Toyota mechanic at justanswer.com. He says that there is no reservoir tank in a MR2 with SMT gear box! He has 30 years experience! I wanna no what the "SMT-fluid or equal" means. He first replayed a normal automatic gear oil would be equal. I got suspicions and clarified again that it is not the gearbox oil. He has now put out the question to all mechanics because he has never heard of a reservoir tank on a MR2 SMT.

I'm not gonna pay until I'm satisfied with the answer! :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Another mecanic replayed:

"Hello

the hydraulic fluid is a Toyota special I'm afraid and its hard to come by, your dealer should be able to order it

the part number for the hydraulic fluid for the SMT box is : 0888602206

This fluid is sold in one-litre containers. It is not interchangeable with brake fluid or ATF."

I don't know if there is an equal yet... can't seem to get an answer... it says equal in my owners manual.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You might get some useful information by using SpyderSearch to look for "SMT fluid".
I know but the opinion differ here. Some use some other fluid than the original. I thought I could get a straight answer to the term "equal" as it says in my owner manual. I did get an answer but I felt like it was a standard one. He didn't bother to explain why it says "equal" in the manual.

So back to square 1... :)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Square 1 is here...has always been here and always will be here.

The SMT fluid for the HPU unit is specific to the car. DO NOT PUT ANY OTHER FLUID IN THERE OTHER THAN THIS FLUID...WHICH IS CRAZY EXPENSIVE. YOU WANT TO PLAY, YOU PAY.

Ignore justanswer.com when you have a decade of information here at your fingertips.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But still: it says "or equal" in the owners manual for a 2006 model. I don't think that's a typo. The SMT-fluid is suppose to be exclusive but there is a cheaper substitute, I'm sure of it. I don't think i need any fluid. Haven't checked the level but it takes about 20 sec for the pump to stop when opening the drivers door in the morning so i think it's ok...

I'll keep on investigating! :)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It takes 5 seconds to check the level.

Take the cover off, look at the reservoir, done. The reservoir itself is translucent plastic, the cover just snaps on and off.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Bosse99.
I find this thread interesting as I have been there...done that, so feel that I should point you in the only direction you should take note of, and follow .

Take a look at message number 4 from yourself, and note what it says.
Then take a look at message number 5 from MaxxF1 and take note , and I feel that you need to look no further. The answer is definately correct as stated in numer 5 message.
With all due respect, all the other replies are OK, but #5 gives you the answer that you need. No ands, ifs, or buts.! ( an English expression that says 'this is the only sensible and correct answer'.)

You can play with the meaning of the word 'Equal' as long as you want, and you will at some time realise that it is a waste of time. There is always someone that will tell you that you should listen to the best music in the world, naming a composer, and will never say " Or equal." There is no equal to that composer. The same goes for your girlfriend, wife, car, or favorite food. only to name a few.

I have the same car that you do, and it is wonderful.
You have the correct number for the SMT fluid. Buy some from the Toyota dealer, and then enjoy the car.

Regards.

Harryco.

·
Registered
977 Posts
juts go ahead ad buy the correct fluid, saving a few bucks and putting in the 'equal' may result in a transmission failure which is going to cost more money.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The SMT-fluid can't be that unique in my opinion. There must be a substitute that works just as good and don't harm the system. It's basically just another hydraulic system we have in our SMT-cars. The system sets the fluid under pressure and move things. The seals and gaskets can't be that unique either. It's not rocket science. That's all I'm saying.

Further more It's seems to be kind of an overkill bye Toyota to make such an effort when building the system and put in that unique seals or other components so only one for them special made fluid could work. Overkill also because the system is made for doing what it does without any fluid top up or other maintenance. The fluid is not consumed in any big way and is supposed to work the life span of the car. The level is never checked at a service at Toyota. The reservoir tank is not even mentioned.

I'm not stupid putting something else in my car if I don't know for sure. That's really dumb. If it comes to adding fluid I'll put in the fluid that Toyota recommends, if I until then haven't figured out the substitute.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Well... you're right, this fluid has to exist for some other hydraulic application (otherwise, it would cost far more than the already-ridiculous price). Problem is, all we can do is speculate what it is.
According to an experiment Corky ran (username: CeeDapp), it's not Pentosin CHF11s. That would have been my first guess, given it's what BMW specs for the SMG system (coincidently also built by LUK). There was a guy on here from Russia a couple years back who used DOT3 brake fluid, but we haven't heard from him in a while -- he could be a happy camper, or his car could be trashed by now. If we had a few extra sets of seals and gaskets, it'd be easy to do some crude tests. But if we had that, no one would object to paying $100/litre for fluid if the parts were readily rebuildable.

Any good chemists in the mix? Anyone have a mass spectrometer? :) I'll send an eyedropper sample for analysis....

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Cant 'We' send a Sample to Blackstone Labs.. ?? Don't they do Oil Analisis for a Living?..

They should be able to tell what it is..

Cap

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Cant 'We' send a Sample to Blackstone Labs.. ?? Don't they do Oil Analisis for a Living?..

They should be able to tell what it is..

Cap
Problem is, they can probably tell us what's in it. Then we'd have to send samples of every hydraulic fluid under the sun for testing to see which one matches.....

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Problem is, they can probably tell us what's in it. Then we'd have to send samples of every hydraulic fluid under the sun for testing to see which one matches.....
Having the weight would be a good start. We have about a dozen different hydraulic fluids at work that we use on a regular basis. The joy of hydraulic oils is that they can range from a 10 weight to a 100, non-conductive, extreme high temperature, and the acid content can range, too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts