MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a short lived experience of mine, owning my MRS. Just got it to Canada a month ago. It had less than 30,000 miles, and was one of 1000 special editions they made in 2007 to send the car off.

A drunk driver hit my parked car and totalled it. I just gave her a name and a custom from licence plate the day before. The driver who hit it may not have insurance (he was arrested and I have to wait to hear from the police if they found insurance) so I may just be down $20,000 , not including the damage caused to my fence and shed in my backyard.

for context, the white equinox hit my friends blue mirage into my car, then the white equinox kept going and pinched my car in between the fence. If anyone has any legal advice on how I can see at least some of my money back (this is in Edmonton, AB) please leave a comment.

thank you all
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive parking light

Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
First see if it can be rebuilt. Second parts on that car are super rare and valuable. If insurance gets the car remove the parts. Skirts can be easily removed and the TRD bars and exhaust can also be easily removed. The front TRD skirt is really hard to find and even broken can be fixed. If you buy back the car and cannot save it the engine trans limited slip with that mileage will be valuable. I would give my eye teeth for a TRD cat which is unobtainalble here (i have the trd header and muffler on my car) and I have only seen two TRD cats for sale. We will help with our expertise too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hate to say it but it might need a reshell. final editions are ungodly rare to begin with. insurance will never give you what this car is worth, especially with all the odd bits and pieces unique to this specific sku.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
That car is totalled. If you have comprehensive insurance they will cover it and go after the other driver. If you only have basic coverage than it's up to you to get them to pay which can be very difficult if they aren't insured. I'd contact your insurance company in any case. I also live in Alberta.

·
Registered
2001 2zz 6spd
181 Posts
First see if it can be rebuilt. Second parts on that car are super rare and valuable. If insurance gets the car remove the parts. Skirts can be easily removed and the TRD bars and exhaust can also be easily removed. The front TRD skirt is really hard to find and even broken can be fixed. If you buy back the car and cannot save it the engine trans limited slip with that mileage will be valuable. I would give my eye teeth for a TRD cat which is unobtainalble here (i have the trd header and muffler on my car) and I have only seen two TRD cats for sale. We will help with our expertise too.
Also save the hard top.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
How awful! That’s some bad luck. I know how you feel, one of mine got smashed last week, making that number two now.
That’s crazy not having full coverage on that beauty. Hopefully, you’re insurance will cover it.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
forgot to add sway bars if trd and red interior are also valuable. Looks like the car only has the trd skirt kit and no strut bars or trd exhaust. I went back and looked at the pictures you posted. Side scoop is special, SMT shifter cover is special. Not sure what else came on that special edition.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
497 Posts
Sorry about your car, thankfully the cars were parked with no one in them.
Having some experience with an impaired driver hitting a vehicle and his insurance denying liability because he wasn't insured to drive that vehicle, your insurance may cover your damages if you have the right coverages and then they will go after the drunk driver for reimbursement.
That being said, I'm in the US and have uninsured motorist coverage with my insurance so things could be different in AB. In our case my insurance company paid our damages (vehicle and medical up to my max) and the offender was on his own. I doubt my insurance company ever got a dime from him since the guy didn't have anything to get. We could have sued him for damages but there wouldn't have been anything to get and it would have cost us more money.
Check your insurance policy for coverages and with your company to see where you stand and what they can do. You may find your company will cover it but you'll still have to prove value and replacement cost for the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everyone, I was denied full coverage on the vehicle due to it being an imported vehicle. I only have liability coverage for that reason. It makes me extremely mad that no matter what coverage I am able to get on this vehicle, I can’t even protect it from others if they’re uninsured (and being parked on my personal driveway, no-less). The system has fucked me over. My only option is to sue now, if the guy has any money left over from paying fines.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah unfortunately that's your option. If you do get another look into classic car insurance - you can get full coverage but there are limitations on usage etc. I have it on all our summer cars.
Yes I transferred my classic car insurance over from my 1976 corvette onto the MRS, and they still removed comprehensive and collision.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's odd because I used 'old is gold' to insure a RHD Celica ST205 (along with other cars) and with an appraisal I have full agreed value coverage.
I had it booked in for an appraisal next weekend. Insurance said they wouldn’t be able to have that other coverage on it due to some parts being difficult to get here like the SMT.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had it booked in for an appraisal next weekend. Insurance said they wouldn’t be able to have that other coverage on it due to some parts being difficult to get here like the SMT.
the smt isnt hard to get, but stuff like the fenders, headlights and front bumper are all things you will have to ship from japan, and just your luck that there is a black final edition being parted out right now out there.

·
Premium Member
Black 2005 MRS 5-speed w/LSD
242 Posts
This is so sad. I am so sorry that you have to go through this. Sometimes life is, indeed, not fair. Good luck.
[
QUOTE="Tasticle, post: 2186330, member: 69100"]
It was a short lived experience of mine, owning my MRS. Just got it to Canada a month ago. It had less than 30,000 miles, and was one of 1000 special editions they made in 2007 to send the car off.

A drunk driver hit my parked car and totalled it. I just gave her a name and a custom from licence plate the day before. The driver who hit it may not have insurance (he was arrested and I have to wait to hear from the police if they found insurance) so I may just be down $20,000 , not including the damage caused to my fence and shed in my backyard.

for context, the white equinox hit my friends blue mirage into my car, then the white equinox kept going and pinched my car in between the fence. If anyone has any legal advice on how I can see at least some of my money back (this is in Edmonton, AB) please leave a comment.

thank you all View attachment 92458
View attachment 92459
View attachment 92457
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I keep looking at the picture and the damage looks mostly on the outside panels. Open the hood take off the plastic and take pictures of the structure. Post those picture and we can likely help. Looks like it needs a hood fenders bumper and two lights. The main structure may have minimal damage. I do know that my mechanic spun out one of my spyders and did a light curb hit with the rear wheel and the structure was damaged. He hit the rear wheel and the hood wouldn't shut properly. So it is likely totalled with that damage but maybe fixable too. Would be an easy decision for me because for three grand you could get all the exterior bolt on parts it needs. The main structure is the question. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I'll be the voice of common sense/ seemingly the devil's advocate on this one. That car is totaled. You'd have to be crazy to fix it up out of pocket. You already stated you couldn't get collision coverage on it....to spend cash out of pocket & fix it up, only end up with a salvage titled car which is still ineligible for collision insurance seems insane to me. That's assuming 200% risk in my eyes since the same thing could happen at any time & the car isn't worth much with a salvage title...assuming that carries a similar weight in Canada as in the U.S.

I hate to say this but sometimes its best to just cut losses & pursue the other party in court. It may takes years to get paid but even that's better than nothing I suppose.

Reactions: Steve Miller
1 - 20 of 36 Posts