MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
I am so sorry. Keep the car and salvage what you can. How about your homeowner’s insurance? How about your friends car insurance - you did say his car impacted yours… Find a crafty ass-kicking-take-no-prisoners lawyer. Where did he get drunk? Liability…? Try to get the Equinox. Were fluids spilled on that pristine lawn? Environmental damages. Think outside the box. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
No salvage title since the insurance will not be covering the loss. Salvage title is after insurance takes possession of the car. I still think the car needs to be evaluated by a professional. No structural damage that could still be a nice car.. Just would have replacement fenders and hood. Detailed photos of the rebuild if no major structural damage and that car could live a nice life.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
All,

I have received confirmation the driver of the vehicle has insurance. This was a massive relief in my life, as I’ve just been physically sick and on the verge of vomiting each and every day.

Leepear, I will see if I can assess further damages later today but I’m leaning towards a full write-off

the next step is trying to get the insurance company to pay me what the car is worth. Here in Alberta, a law was passed in January that makes the victims insurance company pay out for damages and then they go after the at-fault party. I’m hoping this gives me to leverage to get fair compensation for the vehicle. Does anyone have experience fighting for more money than the insurance company first offers?

What do you think this car would have been worth in its previously undamaged condition?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I have a database of 2005 US spyders. Mileage year and last edition version makes that car worth 25k+ in the US. I can help. Also, please remove the trd skirts if it is totalled. You will make someone happy and about $1,800 extra cash. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
All,

I have received confirmation the driver of the vehicle has insurance. This was a massive relief in my life, as I’ve just been physically sick and on the verge of vomiting each and every day.

Leepear, I will see if I can assess further damages later today but I’m leaning towards a full write-off

the next step is trying to get the insurance company to pay me what the car is worth. Here in Alberta, a law was passed in January that makes the victims insurance company pay out for damages and then they go after the at-fault party. I’m hoping this gives me to leverage to get fair compensation for the vehicle. Does anyone have experience fighting for more money than the insurance company first offers?

What do you think this car would have been worth in its previously undamaged condition?
seeing as you have possibly the only final version mr-s in north america at the moment in a very desirable spec id say anywhere from 20-40k easily. especially since it was optioned with the elegant sports package when it was ordered. only thing that would have set the price up even higher if it was something unusual like a trad package final version.

·
Registered
29 Posts
fuck that hurts seeing those pictures

see if you can get it fixed or something
might be worth making into full blown racecar at this point
as for the insurance thing, was your car "not on the road"? i take my cars off comprehensive when i park them for the winter or if they're broken and im in Ontario, like if i drove my cars without comp and got into an accident phew say good bye to driving.

and i should add my Mr-s is a salvage title car... with full insurance coverage on it

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
I don't know how the legal system in Canada works and this isn't legal advice, but what I would do if I found myself damaged in a country that I don't know anything about. First, I would hire a private investigator to do a background search on the asshole who did this to find 1. his likely income and source(s) of employment; 2. where he lives; 3. who he owes money to and how much, and 4 if he owns any real estate. I would expect to pay something around or over $250 USD for this service, and I'd expect the odds of getting all of that information to be no better than 50%. If Mr asshole is well to do, then I would take that information to an attorney for a consult and see 1. the probability of success in court, and 2. the probability of collections. More liberalized countries tend to make collecting money pretty difficult.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
I don't know how the legal system in Canada works and this isn't legal advice, but what I would do if I found myself damaged in a country that I don't know anything about.

First, I would hire a private investigator to do a background search on the asshole who did this to find 1. his likely income and source(s) of employment; 2. where he lives; 3. who he owes money to and how much, and 4 if he owns any real estate. I would expect to pay something around or over $250 USD for this service, and I'd expect the odds of getting all of that information to be no better than 50%. If Mr asshole is well to do, then I would take that information to an attorney for a consult and see 1. the probability of success in court, and 2. the probability of collections. I am under the impression that more liberalized countries tend to make collecting money pretty difficult and I would assume that Mr. asshole isn't going to pay me voluntarily even if I win in court.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Also, you paid $20k? Does that include shipping and auction fees? Need your all in price documented for the insurance company. Last year I bought one of the best 2005 spyders in the country (in my opinion only). 40k miles phantom grey stick shift with limited slip option, z1, all options. All original no paintwork one of 14 stick shift phantom grey and the second lowest mileage remaining 2005 phantom grey spyder. I value that car at $25k without all the TRD parts I added. Your car is on par with that car so it would be easy for me to value it in the $20k range to return your investment.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
jtdfr320050070825 3p0 Red/black la20 fs 7/22 26k miles $21k ls smt
jtdfr320050071134 202 Black/black la20 Dix Hills, New York 24k miles sold 12/21 $20k
jtdfr320050071411 1e3 Grey/red lb30 44k miles Houston TX ls stick z1 paid $18k 2015
71827 3p0 red/fa20 black Salem OR 38k miles smt $22k fs 5/22 smt ls
72089 202 Black/black la20 23k miles Longs SC ls stick fs 3/22 $22.9

here are a few examples on my list of 2005 cars.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Here in Alberta you go after their insurance company and then they deal with the driver etc. not really something you can take to court easily. With police reports etc it will be easy, especially if their car was the one they were driving at the time and they were insured to drive it.

For value you will need to counter their offer with comparables. Try to find listings for MR2s for sale in the USA and Canada of similar year and mileage. Plus a couple of those auction sites above from Japan. And what you paid of course.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Old saying: "If you want money, get a lawyer. If you want justice get the mafia." In your case I don't recommend either. I do agree with ForminFunction's assessmnet.

Maybe send a letter to your Provincial MP, or Ministry of Justice / Attorney General regarding alcohol / driving enforcement, and reference your particular situation.

Write a well considered letter. You seem like a well-mannered person, so if you write it from the heart, you never know. As Gretzky said, 100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in the net.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It was a short lived experience of mine, owning my MRS. Just got it to Canada a month ago. It had less than 30,000 miles, and was one of 1000 special editions they made in 2007 to send the car off.

A drunk driver hit my parked car and totalled it. I just gave her a name and a custom from licence plate the day before. The driver who hit it may not have insurance (he was arrested and I have to wait to hear from the police if they found insurance) so I may just be down $20,000 , not including the damage caused to my fence and shed in my backyard.

for context, the white equinox hit my friends blue mirage into my car, then the white equinox kept going and pinched my car in between the fence. If anyone has any legal advice on how I can see at least some of my money back (this is in Edmonton, AB) please leave a comment.

thank you all View attachment 92458
View attachment 92459
View attachment 92457
I'm really sorry this happened to you , If the drunk POS didn't have insurance , he probubly is not worth a wooden nickel ,
Good luck , a lawyer might help but unless he works cheap it would not be worth it .

·
Registered
159 Posts
Do you have Homeowner's Insurance? If it's on private property they may cover you. Problem is, in America e.g., if you file against your Homeowner's your rates go up, so you have to weigh the cost vs return.

Does homeowners insurance cover car damage? | Insure.com

Article above says your car isn't covered, however property damage is, and the laws seem to be different in Canada. Here's Canadian guidance:

From the Government of Canada

For home insurance, you may need a combination of two types of coverage.

Personal property coverage
Personal property coverage protects you from loss or damage to:

• your home or personal possessions
  • your car

·
Registered
536 Posts
In the US at least, if the check isn’t satisfactory for you, you can refuse to sign the appraisal and provide comps. I wish I had known this when our Chevy Volt was totaled by a hit and run(who talked to me then ran while I was making calls). We took the horribly low payout from our comprehensive insurance, not knowing any better.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts