MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My roof latches stopped fully latching, so i will be driving and they would unlatch...ugh. I hate waiting for the parts to come in so my baby can feel better....

Has anyone changed there latches on there own? if yes, is it easy? i ask cause my local toyota dealer will do it for 70 bucks....

Thank you

·
Registered
587 Posts
It only takes maybe 5 minutes a side. 3 screws are all thats involved but they are tight as they have some kind of lock tight on them so make sure you use the proper screw driver to remove so you dont strip the head. Don't pay Toyota I think you can handle this one.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It only takes maybe 5 minutes a side. 3 screws are all thats involved but they are tight as they have some kind of lock tight on them so make sure you use the proper screw driver to remove so you dont strip the head. Don't pay Toyota I think you can handle this one.
Thank you.....i am going to give it a try.....now i just need the latches to come in the mail...ugh

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Glad you had already tried that then. I would research to find which type of locktite to use when installing the new latches. I'd also suggest offering up your old latches as I am sure someone could utilize them (especially someone looking at the CF hardtop).

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
There is a plastic sleeve that goes around the hex nut turnbuckle. It is there to prevent the nut from moving. If the plastic thingy came off, it might be in the way of the locking mechanism. I really can't see the parts failing as they are static in nature.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hello rwmeade,

You created a thread about changing the latches yet none of us think that is necessary.

We all think your existing latches need TLC. There are many threads about tightening latches. Would you like me to find some more threads for you?

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
The hex screws for the latches are very hard to remove. I hope you can get them out without stripping them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks everyone, i tried to tighten them myself, i thought i had it right.....wen't on the highway and they both slipped out of the hooks. will try to tighten them again tomorrow

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
thanks everyone, i tried to tighten them myself, i thought i had it right.....wen't on the highway and they both slipped out of the hooks. will try to tighten them again tomorrow
It sounds like they are too tight. It is either latched or not. If it is latch there will be no movement when checking it by hand.

·
Registered
489 Posts
i ask cause my local toyota dealer will do it for 70 bucks....
Personally, I believe in keeping mechanics employed. In reading the responses to your question I realize that my top would completely fall off if I attempted any of the steps. For the sake of my sanity and the fact that the cheap could wind up expensive, I would take it to the dealership. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Personally, I believe in keeping mechanics employed. In reading the responses to your question I realize that my top would completely fall off if I attempted any of the steps. For the sake of my sanity and the fact that the cheap could wind up expensive, I would take it to the dealership. :D
That is what I have decided to do........I tried it yesterday and still have issues. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts