MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to enlist some of your expertise. I don't really know my way around cars that well (although I can do an oil change and change a flat tire all on my own, very proud of myself :))

I bought my '03 a few weeks ago and a few days after I noticed this thing hanging down on the driver's side. I have no idea what it is. It seems to be something wrapped in foam plugged into some power connector? I'm just guessing there.

So here's a pic and a close up pic. It's probably something simple. Can you guys tell me what it is and what I should do with it? Thanks for your help!

Also, smiley pic for those who read this message :D

I hope its not a bomb :x

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
That looks like your random fault generator. It generates cels (the engine light) randomly, forcing you to provide Toyota with a steady stream of income when you bring your car into a dealership and pay $125 to have them reset the light.

I recommend cutting it off with scissors.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That looks like your random fault generator. It generates cels (the engine light) randomly, forcing you to provide Toyota with a steady stream of income when you bring your car into a dealership and pay $125 to have them reset the light.

I recommend cutting it off with scissors.
Oh man, now I'm paranoid... I didn't see that on my car. Well, it's better to be safe than sorry. I'm going outside with some scissors and I'll be cutting any wires I see behind my dash. Toyota isn't getting my money!

Thanks SDSU, you've just saved me from unknown headaches and financial ruin.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I'm not sure I'd cut anything off since its just hanging there. Tuck it up for now, and I'll see if I can see one on my car plugged in to something else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Obviously, no one who has responded thus far has any idea what it is.
I don't either, but I'd guess it's a connector for some option that isn't installed. The Spyders sold in the USA had almost evert option Toyota offered. The only exception that comes to mind is the alarm system.

If the car doesn't have any electrical problems, I'd just poke that thing back into the dash and not worry about it.
That's what I was thinking too.

Thanks for everyone's help and funny comments. Now I have an emergency back up tampon if I ever need one, haha.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
That's what I was thinking too.

Thanks for everyone's help and funny comments. Now I have an emergency back up tampon if I ever need one, haha.
Good sense of humor:p You'll do just fine here...

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Could be the speaker for the door chime.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts