MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my MR2 Spyder for ten years now and have enjoyed it immensely. It uses regular gas, gets 35-41 MPG and drives like a wonderful dream car. Have only spent $130.00 on the car in repairs since owning it and that was for an O2 Sensor that I replaced myself and a valve gasket. The stock tires wore out fast and were somewhat uncomfortable because of the low tire profile. I installed Michelin Harmony Tires, 185/60-15 on the front and 215/60-15 on the rear and yes I bought 15" chrome stock wheels for the car just after buying the car. The tires transformed the ride, the ride is much smoother and more comfortable now, and the tires last a very long time with the 800 tread wear rating compared to the 140 tread wear rating of the original tires. I highly recommend using 60 series tires. I have the SMT Transmission and love it. The extra gear was much needed plus the taller rear tires gives a 6.5% decrease in RPM as well. At 70 MPH in 6th gear and with the rear tires I have the RPM is 590 less than with the five speed manual transmission. I have driven a stock Spyder with the 5 speed manual and much prefer the SMT. Also, my car had the TTE Dual Exhaust when I purchased it and I added Matt's Full Mid Body Brace that really helped the stability of my Spyder. Everything else is stock. I plan to keep this car until it is completely worn out, I like it that much!

·
Registered
371 Posts
That's great to hear. I also have a full underbody brace, (forgot the name, was about $500 though). I also noticed a slight improvement after installing aftermarket front and rear strut bars... fairly inexpensive way to increase structural rigidity, giving it an ever so slightly more solid feel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I feel the same about (and have had the same ownership experience with) my 2002 MR2. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did they take away the ability to edit your own post w/the redo of the forum? Apparently so . . .
--------------------------------------------

However, I only get about 25-30 mpg when I drive my Spyder, so I must drive much more aggressively (or badly) than does the OP. LOL! ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Swingshiftworker
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing