MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
it is now in the bodyshop. They competely missed the lift points and bent the bottom of the rear fender. I'm supprised the car didn't fall off the lift. You can see the center diaper from the side.

I told them not to paint or put a hole to pull the fender. I hope they don't make the situation worse. I'm letting them off easy, unless they make it worse.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
That sucks man. I hope they took it to a good repair shop.:(

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're taking it to their bodyshop. It is a large dealership.

I do oil changes at Mr. T out of convenience.... I hate carrying dirty oil to the recycle center, thus, I go to Mr. T.

I think they put all the newbie mechanics on the oil change line. You can't make money doing oil changes so they have to go at a fast pace. Inexperience and speed = bent fender :(

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
it is now in the bodyshop. They competely missed the lift points and bent the bottom of the rear fender. I'm supprised the car didn't fall off the lift. You can see the center diaper from the side.

I told them not to paint or put a hole to pull the fender. I hope they don't make the situation worse. I'm letting them off easy, unless they make it worse.
You think you let them off easy? Same thing happened to me on my first oil change for this car and I completly let them off after their 19 y.o. mechanic banged it back out. Things like that make me hate myself for being too nice :unsure:

·
Registered
7,694 Posts

Make sure that they didn't crush the rocker panel inward near the lift points. The body seam should be the same height, front to back. If it is dented inward you will see a whiteish stripe where the body separated from the seam

Hope this makes sense. I checked out one for sale inside a dealer for a Canadian buyer. Both rocker panels were bent in. Brought it to the attention of the dealer and they basically told me to leave!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm the original owner. In my 1st year of ownership, the dealer bent the fender but I never thought to look at the lift point. Many months later when I was removing the rear tire, I noticed it. I was able to bang it out to near perfect.

I would tell the service writer to use rubber blocks if the lift arms are too long. I serviced my car many times at this particular dealer so I let my guard down about 4 oil changes ago.

I bet if you service your car at a shop, your fender proabably pushed in a little. This is a common type of damage.

·
Registered
754 Posts
You don't have to let their bodyshop do the work.

Not all dealership bodyshops are the same either. It all comes down to the body guy. They want to do the repair because they can get away with paying next to nothing to have it done.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car my local toyota did the same thing to an exige but it fell completely off, even made the local news.

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Can you jack it up by the ridge?
there are 2 notches at the lift points on the ridge. the ridge is thicker at these locations and not elsewhere, therefore DO NOT lift away from the notched portion of the ridge.

unless of course ...you need unpleasant excitement

·
Registered
544 Posts
This is what I am talking about. I didn't notice it until I bought he car. But had it professionally fixed.

I was also a bit ignorant about this when I purchased my 2002, but the visible "white" paint in front of the rear fender reveals the damage. I have to admit the same thing happened to me as well. But my Spyder was white and the damage wasn't noticed until it was too late to matter.

·
Registered
617 Posts
My car is too low for our lifts. :(

We get several MR2s that come to the dealership for oil changes, and as mentioned, they go straight to the lube rack. Since I'm right across the shop from the lube team, I showed them how to work on them, and yes their minds were blown when the engine lid pops open. :lol: Now they are well aware of MR2s. :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I do my own oil changes, among other things. Dealing with the old oil isnt so bad. I just pour the old oil into old 5qt oil bottles, and drop them off at autozone.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I will apologize in advance if this comes across as stupid:

I have the dent on the underside of my car just forward of the lift point on the driver's side rear (I don't know when or where it happened- it's from a few years ago). I know it's there, but is otherwise not noticeable. How do you bang out the dent? Is it just by taking the fender liner off and using the wood handle of a hammer? I was going to take it to a body shop but was convinced not to do so on SC as essentially, no one will notice it (but me).

Thanks.

Also to Kaustein, how much was the repair on your car? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
I've known the body shop for over 30 years. Cost me $110. Also spot welded it in place. I have seen many Spyders with the same malady.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts