MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My spyder has been idling just over 500rpm, the whole car shakes likes it going to stall. I have cleaned the MAF and reset the ECU which has not solved the problem, I read some threads where a dirty IACV can cause ildling issues. I took the throttle body off my spyder and I cannot find the IACV attached to it, anybody know where this is on SMT throttle body??? or is there something else that I can do fix the idling issues, please help!!!

pictures below

·
Registered
896 Posts
Clean the throttle body and check vacuum lines to make sure they are all connected and no cracks. Also use new throttle body gasket when you put it back on. After you reset ECU give car a chance to adjust by driving around for awhile.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
No IAC on the SMT..

The SMT is Throttle By Wire, and the ECU sets the Idle Speed by Moving the T-Bodt Plate Directly..

If you are having Idle Issues, then Something else is wrong..

Clean the MAF..

If that does not solve it, do a Compression Check to see the health of the Engine..

Next step arter that is Check the Fuel Trims.. see how far off they are, as you might have an Injector Problem..

Cap

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Any aftermarket intake by any chance?

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
I wasn't going to go there just yet..

I was going to wait for Little More intercourse before asking that Question..

Call me old Fashioned..

Cap

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies

To clean the throttle bottle do I just use a cloth and wipe it clean or should I spray carborator cleaner on it and clean it that way?

there are no aftermaket intakes that I could see, everything looks standard.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Either way..

Clean the MAF, and do a Compression Check..

If the Engine is 'Wounded', then Idle will be not smooth.. a Compression check will tell the Health of the Engine..

Cap

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK I have not posted because I have been overseas and busy with work but finally continued to work on my car today.

OK from doing some more searching on the forums i have found that my car has the APS no throtle problem. So I ordered a new APS , installed it on the throttle body and put it all back together. I also gutted the precats.

I started the car and white smoke start come out from the engine, approximately where the heat shields are. I used WD-40 to remove the nuts (3 amigos etc..) in order to remove the precats. Some of the WD40 got onto the part where the bottom of the exhaust manifold got onto the car, my first though is that the WD40 Is causing the white smoke, any ideas?

Also when I started the car it idling at 1500rpm then going down to about 1000rpm or so,.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After about 30mins of driving last night there is no more smoke and sometimes there is a slight smell of something burning the more I drive the car the burning smell gets weaker and weaker.

Idling is much better since replacing the APS, when i started the car this morning idle went up to 1500 then went down within a matter of seconds to 1000-800 rpm and stayed there.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Another Satisfied Customer..

Thank you Don, for keeping a Place for our Spyders to Congregate...

Cap

1 - 13 of 13 Posts