MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please post a pic of a stock 2zz exhaust manifold bolted on to your 2zz swap? I'm looking for some angles to see where the cross member ("rear" member) needs to be notched for clearance. This is for a CARB compliant 2zz swap.

Thabks

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. The manifold has to be from the engine being swapped and cannot be cut or modified in any way. Smog ref who is very familiar with these swaps has been helping me overcome every CARB requirement. It was very tedious but possible. There there was a solution for every legal requirement.

Notching cross member is major one people usually try to skip.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,050 Posts
Wait so CARB inspection is making you compromise the crash safety of your car so that the exhaust manifold that has no impact on emissions can fit? That's just crazy!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some of the mandatory rules:

1. Exhaust manifold cannot be touched. It's up to you to decide what is necessary to achieve that. They will not recommend notching the cross member, but they don't care because it's not smog related.

2. Exhaust tubing between the cat and the manifold flange can be cut up however you'd like. The ID of this tubing must be maintained.

3. The primary O2 must be same linear distance from the manifold flange as stock.

4. Post cat O2 there are location rules.

5. Post cat exhaust tubing is open. Not smog related.

Took these pics this morning.

Smog people are very friendly, helpful, and want you to successfully complete the swap. May be time consuming, but there is no reason to try to cheat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,050 Posts
May be time consuming, but there is no reason to try to cheat.
Thanks very much for the post. I am about to go through this same thing. I agree about the cheating. But, you are literally cutting a structural component that is integral to the vehicle chassis. There must be a better way than that!

So the rules state that you must use the manifold from the original car? This is very odd as the pre-cats were a California specific modification to the design of the 1zz MR-S. I remember this being talked about years ago. Toyota added them specifically for CARB from what I remember. Now CARB is basically telling you you have to REMOVE an emissions control device from the vehicle?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Well, rules have to be written in a form where they can be unambiguously interpreted and uniformly enforced. There will always be collateral casualties no matter how well they are thought out. I'm sure nobody anticipated the case where you would have to remove a cat and saw the frame. :icon_eek:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are converting the smog system to be that of a different (newer) car. Not all engines or cars have pre-cats.

The RSX and TSX do not have EGR systems. They care about smog. Your or my choice to make structural modifications is not their responsibility.

I would suggest contacting BAR and speaking to a smog ref. I am in constant contact with mine. He tells me everything that will pass or fail.

I am a mechanical engineer and have built many race cars. I wouldn't suggest people start hacking up a car to make an engine fit if it makes the car structurally unsafe.

Another note is that the TRD triangulating brace on the passenger side can be modified to clear the k20 oil pan. I have both braces on.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,050 Posts
Yup, I got the number for the Smog Referee line. I think I am going to try to pass visual first since I have all the 1zz hardware now. I know of at least three other people who are running 1zz hardware (intake, exhaust manifold, stock cat and passed. I think the biggest challenge is going to be getting the OEM intake pipe to fit on the 2ZZ throttle body.

Please keep us in the loop and let us know when the Ref gives you a sticker. I may follow your lead just to avoid CARB tickets if I get pulled over.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Engine position is not regulated. You cannot mix and match manifolds and engines to get it to clear. The entire stock engine, tranny, and all smog equipment for that engine must be used including cat, manifold, and evap.

I have full alignment, dealer ecu flash, and some small stuff left to clean up before getting it inspected.

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
No. The manifold has to be from the engine being swapped and cannot be cut or modified in any way. Smog ref who is very familiar with these swaps has been helping me overcome every CARB requirement. It was very tedious but possible. There there was a solution for every legal requirement.

Notching cross member is major one people usually try to skip.

umm I think you should talk to the ref before you start... its not the exhaust manifold thats the problem its the cat pipe. it cant not be modified at all, at least that is what the ref to me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.