MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't nearly as interesting as some of the other items on here, but I thought I'd share.

So I have the dreaded "ears" problem on my top. I looked into the aftermarket strap solution, but just wasn't seeing where it'd connect on my car. I contacted Jon at KeyTechniques, and he sent me some pics of what I should see. Come to find out that a previous owner not only removed the strap, but CUT the nylon straps that the snaps were attached to, leaving me with no way to attach ANYTHING.

So I had to come up with a solution that might work without being too "obtrusive", if you know what I mean. So I happened to mention it to my wife, who wanted to see what I had to work with. Son of a #$*@&... she came up with a solution that worked.

So I had about an inch of nylon strap left on each side... if that. Here's the plan... it's halfway done, waiting for the other parts to finish it.

Supplies needed:

Step 1 - Fold the 1" "nub" of what's left over.

Step 2 - Insert one of the 1" Key Rings in the fold

Step 3 - Sew the ring in place using heavy duty embroidering needle and thread. She used silver thread cuz it's what we had... it's hidden when the roof is open or closed, so I wasn't too concerned about the color of the thread.

Step 4 - Repeat for other side.

So that's how far I've gotten... I tested it using some cheap bungee cords from the dollar store, and voila... it works! But I wasn't about to have bungee cords under my roof. So here's the alternate solution.

One roll of this:

And two of these:

The clasps will, well, clasp to each ring.

The tricky part will be gauging the length of the stretchy strap to make sure it pulls enough without pulling the roof off the trim (like the shorter bungees did last night).

I'll post updated pics because I'm OCD and can't let a post be incomplete. Let me know if you have any ideas or see any critical flaws with the plan.

Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Hi Matt . . .

Thanks for posting. I look forward to seeing how this turns out. Will the lobster clasp cause anthing to bluge anywhere or cause any additional ear and tear on the soft top? What if you were to sew key rings into the top strap and simply thread the key rings in the top strap through the key rings sewn into the stub?

. . . my two cents worth . . .

Thanks again for inventing and posting. I look forward to following this posts.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Looks good- it beats having to get a new soft top (assuming the soft topics otherwise in good shape). I think UM has it right (attach the claws to the top strap, thread through the top, and connect). It shouldn't get in the way of the top operating properly if the claws are small.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Matt . . .

Thanks for posting. I look forward to seeing how this turns out. Will the lobster clasp cause anthing to bluge anywhere or cause any additional ear and tear on the soft top? What if you were to sew key rings into the top strap and simply thread the key rings in the top strap through the key rings sewn into the stub?

. . . my two cents worth . . .

Thanks again for inventing and posting. I look forward to following this posts.
Wow, that's actually a really good idea. I hadn't even thought of it. I think the clasps will bulge the roof a little bit, but the interlocking rings may not.

I will have enough strap material to try it both ways. Thanks for the suggestion!

Matt

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Wow, that's actually a really good idea. I hadn't even thought of it. I think the clasps will bulge the roof a little bit, but the interlocking rings may not.

I will have enough strap material to try it both ways. Thanks for the suggestion!

Matt
I'm glad my idea might help-out some. If I might add to that a little more . . . might I recommend finding some stainless steel split rings for this job. I am a SCUBA diver and have found that the traditional split rings (key rings) are metal plated and tend to easily rust when exposed to the elements. Stainless steel can be harder to find, but it might be worth making this repair/modification using stainless steel split rings. I'm not sure where you might find them . . . it has been so long since I bought any that I don't remember where I got them. Try a dive shop -- or maybe Grainger might carry them.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Edit with update: I just googled "Stainless Steel Split Rings" -- there are a lot of sources our there. Check here on Google

·
1,823 Posts
if this doesn't work out for you.. i have my old top with the two straps still in tack... i could cut them off and you could probably sew them into whatever nub you have available...

·
Registered
729 Posts
I had started to improvise something similar since one of my roof-side straps are damaged however I wasn't happy with the way the top was folding. I felt it was putting too much strain on the would be ears so I decided to let the ears stay. I like the idea OP, just make sure you're top folds smoothly when doing this fix or one fix will beget another.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had started to improvise something similar since one of my roof-side straps are damaged however I wasn't happy with the way the top was folding. I felt it was putting too much strain on the would be ears so I decided to let the ears stay. I like the idea OP, just make sure you're top folds smoothly when doing this fix or one fix will beget another.
Hi Bob - Was it because the strap was too short and was pulling too tightly? Would creating a slightly longer strap have fixed the problem (in your opinion)?

Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts