MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of installing an in dash gps system in my 2002 spuder. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions?

LJC

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
It should be pretty straightforward, and I assume after installing a double DIN size GPS unit to replace the factory radio, just running a GPS antenna would be all that's required. The only issue with the Spyder is that the face of a GPS unit is below the line of sight, so you would get directions of the GPS called out to you, but the face of a GPS would be lower, so that you're taking your eyes off the road to look down at it- not a good idea.

I'd check Crutchfield.com to see if they have a GPS head unit that would work for you plus, you can see if there's any specific directions for the Spyder installation.

Some members here have GPS head units in their cars, so maybe they will respond shortly.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Had this since 2007 or so and never had any problems regarding accidents or what not because of me taking my eyes off the road. But of course, to each his own. I don't have a problem with it, doesn't mean you won't.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I have the Eclipse AVN2210p. The GPS antenna is very easy to run - you go up and under the dash/glovebox, down under the side plastic and out the door. Running under the front fender body panel was a little tricky but then come under the frunk and follow the washer fluid line. The antenna magnet is centered at the plastic air intake and between the washer fluid nozzles.

The location of the screen is not ideal (for me that would be where the HVAC controls are), but all of these systems should have tilt capabilities (though that will remove the use of the cup holder under the radio).

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Have you used an in-car GPS unit before? I received one as a gift, and couldn't stand it. With the voice off, it was intrusive, and detracted from the driving experience immensely. With the voice turned on, it made me want to drive off a cliff. Maybe that's why GPS users end up crashed into oceans and post offices....

wait for it...

they've gone postal!

Seriously, before you commit, borrow or rent a portable one and try it for a few days to see if you like it. Mine is sitting in my GF's car.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
:lol:

Don't get an indash. One from the few systems i've seen and heard from owners, they suck as GPS units. Secondly the radio position is really low on the dash. I don't know about other people but I turn the voice directions off because I want to listen to the radio and not an annoying voice every 5 seconds. I also find voice directions very inadequate for big metro areas like NYC where there's 3-4 exits/underpass/overpass/crossovers what have you in 1000ft section of road.

I pretty much live in my car and drive about 100 miles a day, My fourth trusty TomTom on my dash. If your getting it for the bling factor that you have indash GPS get whatever you want, If you really need and use a GPS guidance semi regularly-regularly, get a dedicated GPS (TomTom) and thank me later. :lol:

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have a Pioneer in Dash unit. I find it to be useful when I go someplace new and foreign to me. Good for road trips and the such. I don't really look it much and rely on the voice cues.

Yet to each their own. I like it and could care less about the bling factor. All my other cars have one so why can't my oldest car have one too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I saw a photo of one once that was mounted in the top storage compartment, down in the end of it, with a custom replacement for the lid, looked really good, but I wasn't able to find out anything about it...
It would be in a great place for sky exposure, and up in your field of view...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I agree with rcntype that the navigation system doesn't work very well in metro areas like NYC, but that goes for all GPS systems not just the in-dash. I had a lot of problems with my Garmin portable GPS when I was in Seattle, Portland and NYC.

My in-dash unit has always been very useful for most of my drives and roadtrips. Taken me everywhere from Tahoe to Las Vegas with no problem. If you find the voices annoying, then don't use a GPS unit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Definitely - if you have an iPhone, get the Pioneer AppRadio - it's great GPS and so much more. Check out my post - I included a couple of pictures too :)

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts