MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2022 Hyundai Venue that recently received it's first oil change at about 8k miles. Oil change was done by a dealership.

Immediately after receiving the car back I noticed an increase in engine noise and vibration when both of these conditions are true:
1. Under 1800 rpm
2. Medium to high engine load.

I took it back to the dealer and the service manager looked at me like I was crazy. Understandable, since the performance of an oil change shouldn't involve any component that might cause these symptoms. On the other hand, the service manager told me in certain terms that if there isn't an engine light then nothing could possibly be wrong with the vehicle, which raises the question about competent the service manager, and any mechanics working under her supervision might be. In any case, the dealership made no credible effort to diagnose the issue.

Any hypothesis about what could have happened here?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I don't have a reason for low load but high load & I would be concerned if they put the correct oil grade in on the refill. Like you said, it's very odd if the level itself is correct.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you check the oil level?
Warm, the oil level appeared several inches higher than the F mark to me. On that basis, I thought the oil level to bee too high, but I couldn't find anything on the net suggesting a high oil level could be causing the symptoms.

Also, the dealership checked the oil level, warm, and said they believed it to be fine.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Maybe they forgot to take the plastic sealing cover off the filter. Who knows. Dealer techs are badly trained monkeys. They could have done anything. You can count on them for completely random errors in procedure because their boss is spineless enough to allow them to scan their social media accounts while on the job. I fire anyone I catch in my shop with a phone in their hand. When your engine fails, it will be your fault.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PS. The service manager is usually someone who could not cut it as a mechanic. Because he is a relative of the owner, they do not simply fire him, they move him to customer service, where his pull with the boss allows him to rise to the top.
My brother said the same thing. "failing upward" I think he called it. I'll re-check the engine oil level today, and if in doubt, drain it all, measure how much came out, just to know for sure, and replace. I'll check the filter too.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did they unplug the battery to reset the car? You can tell if the clock is off.
I believe they did, because the battery terminal connections looked like they were used; however the clock was accurate when we received the car.

It's running much better now, which I think means that any excess oil found somewhere to go (never saw smoke from the tail pipe though), or maybe the motor was re-learning, or whatever super new cars do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts