Normally I use a rugged tablet PC, but I also have one of these:

MSI Wind U100-641US
Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz
1GB memory
160GB HDD
10" WSVGA
802.11b/g
Windows XP Home

http://www.buy.com/prod/msi-wind-u100-641us-netbook-intel-atom-n270-1-6ghz-1gb-160gb-hdd-10/q/loc/101/210634663.html

I didn't buy it to run Copilot. Mine is actually used for email, web browsing, iTunes, and so forth. I don't have my desktop connected to the internet anymore - to avoid problems with viruses, worms, Trojan Horses, etc. However, I installed Copilot on it and it actually does a better job than the rugged tablet PC.

It is pretty minimal compared to most laptops (no optical drive but you can plug in a external USB drive for instance), but has good battery life, is easy to tote around, boots very quickly, and runs Copilot for Power FC just fine.

They are now selling for just a tad under $300 shipped. Compare this to using a FC Commander. Of course, you need a Datalogit, too, however the notebook/Datalogit combination (about $650) beats the pants off a little monochrome handheld device that you can't even see the base map on - and it is a lightweight, versatile little notebook with wireless that can be used for many other things.

So if you are still farting around with an FC Commander to do your Power FC tuning, take a good look at this baby.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Nice, great find!

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Back on this topic, I just did a lot of research on the current netbooks out. I found out that they are all 95% identical in specs and performance. I didn't like the MSI Wind because apparently it's a PITA to change RAM or HDD and it didn't have any "stand out" features that I saw.

So, based on a slew of netbook reviews, I ended up trying to decide between the Eee PC 1005HA and Toshiba NB205.

I ended up going with the Toshiba because: the Eee PC case attracts fingerprints, the Toshiba has one of the best touchpads available, the Toshiba has arguably one of the nicest laid out and sized keyboards, the Toshiba has an accelerometer to protect the HDD from bumps (good for rides in the car), the Toshiba has a USB port that supplies power even when the laptop is turned off, and the Eee PC has had some issues with the power adapter no longer connecting properly to the laptop. I didn't see any signifcant pro's in favor of the Eee PC to counter all of these factors, even though some of the reviews slightly scored the Eee PC better than the Toshiba, go figure. There were a couple isolated complaints about the Toshiba's keyboard being "bouncy" or the case not being quite as solid, but all user experiences I saw said that it held up well to use.

Based on these factors and various reviews I compared, I felt the Toshiba is the best, cheap 10" netbook out right now. Just in case anyone else decides to go netbook shopping.
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-NB205-N210-10-1-Inch-Black-Netbook/dp/B002BDUAEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256622177&sr=8-1

Reactions: triz

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Asus Eee's are extremely cheap now, and I've still not heard a bad review on one.
The Toshiba NB205 was about $15? cheaper than the Eee PC 1005HA, both were in @$350'ish range. Of course you could get something for sub $300...there are tons of different models of Eee PC though, so I'm sure you could get an older version for less than the 1005HA. There's nothing bad about the Eee PC or I wouldn't have strongly considered it in the first place, I just felt like the Toshiba had a few more points of differentiation going for it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Do any of these netbooks have a serial port to connect to a Datalogit?

If not... what serial->USB adapters are you guys using?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've had a lot of driver issues when it comes to serial->usb conversions... that's why I wanted to use the native serial port if I could.

RadioShack wanted $40 for their adapter! That's ridiculous.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts