MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing a seach on the SMT board, I was unable to find the info I need.

My 2003 SMT has been changing perfectly, and I recently had it unused for about a month. I kept the battery charged.
When I started it recently, I didn't get the 'reverse beep sound' in reverse, but tried to go into reverse and move, The engine stalled and a check Engine light came on.( Code P1646 )
By changing gears repeatedly, I managed to get it into forward and it operated OK, but still did not always get the 'beep' when going into reverse, at which time it would stall after a few seconds.
I later started it, and all was OK. This has happened about 4 or 5 times in the last week. It seems to be an intermittent problem, and I suspect a dirty sensor or connection, but have no idea where to start looking for these sensors or connections.
Is there anything that is available that shows the location and name of the connections/sensors that would steer me in the right direction.
A few months ago I did remove the seats and consol in an effort to locate the sensors near the gear change area, but could only find some connections that seemed to be sealed permanently under the consol area. I sprayed everything in sight, as I had read how important it was to keep the connections clean. I am still not sure whether I was in the right area or not !

I find this group to be of great help, and learn a lot from just reading the posts. Thanks to all concerned.

Harryco.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Under the intake, on top of the transmission, you'll see 3 sensors pointing down into the transmission, black, grey, and white plugs. The reverse sensors are the grey and white plugs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks Plebian.
I will look at those tomorrow, as it is evening here now, and will spray them with lots of the Quick Dry Contact cleaner.
I will not remove them, as I see there is a thread where the person had lots of problems after removing one of them.

Many thanks, the info is really appreciated.

Harry.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cleaned the reverse sensors indicated by plebian, by using a spray of Quick Dry contact cleaner, and then gave them a good soak in Corrosion Block, which has given good results for me on other things in the past.
I used the car somewhat today, and so far all has been fine, but I will use it more as it was an intermittent problem, and get back to everyone in about a week.

Thanks again for the help.

Harry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts