MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have been (slowly) replacing the 1zz in our 2000 Spyder due to pre-cat engine failure. We got a reman engine that came out of an 03 Celica GT. I currently have two issues I need some help with...

1. Injector Play: we had the fuel rail and injectors from the original engine cleaned and after installing them on the new motor I notice some "play" with the injectors between the engine and the rail, meaning they can be moved slightly in and out, up and down, however you want to describe it... I didn't play with the injectors when they were on the original motor so I don't know if this is normal or not... please advise.

2. O2 Sensor Wire Routing: specifically the lower one that plugs into the cat, there is several plastic clips that secure it to the body somehow but for the life of me I can't figure out where the first one closest to the sensor plugs into - I've pointed it in every direction and I can't find a hole for it lol. YEs we took lots of progress pics when tearing down everything, but missed a few photo ops and didn't get pics of how some of the wiring and such were routed before removing them from their original positions. I know it's not critical but my OCD doesn't like not putting things back where they go, and now that is't been a few months, I just don't remember. If anyone has a pic that shows where this O2 Sensor wire is routed I would love to see it!

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,206 Posts
The post cat sensor goes behind the drivers side light you should see the clips there. As far as the fuel injectors I dont think you want play up and down because of the fuel pressure. They are possibly not torqued down correctly or sitting right. They do move but just in a twist.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The post cat sensor goes behind the drivers side light you should see the clips there.
The clips are all still attached to the wire so I need to find the holes they pop into. I'm wondering if the wire gets routed up under the big square heat shield or through the big hole on the body/frame?

As far as the fuel injectors I dont think you want play up and down because of the fuel pressure. They are possibly not torqued down correctly or sitting right. They do move but just in a twist.
The fuel rail is torqued down as far as it will go, using the same spacers that were present on the original motor. I'm wondering if an '03 celica gt 1zz is different in that the spacers are not needed or are a different thickness?

Thanks tons for the help!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Just replaced that sensor. The hole closest to the sensor is on the bottom side of the actual bumper. The there's one at the backside of the bumper. And here's a pic of the top hole, with the clip in the wrong hole. The red circle is the correct hole.

If you use the wrong hole, the taillight will not fit. Lesson learned, always take a good look, before disassembly.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Correct & wrong.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JIf you use the wrong hole, the taillight will not fit. Lesson learned, always take a good look, before disassembly.
You are awesome thank you so much! We took lots of disassembly pics but for some reason skipped over this area grrr. I did however start to remember a wee bit, like clipping the engine side plug onto the side of the coolant reservoir, and from there I could see where one of the sensor wire clips went - into the hole you named the right one ^_^ ...thanks again. We started her up Friday night and she runs smooth and sounds great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.