MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2000 MRS with 56,000+ miles on no modifications (yet..) When I get on the interstate and cruise around 80mph, i feel like the steering twitches either to the left or right. I'm thinking because its light weight, the wind just blows it away. That's alright but I'm thinking if there are more major stuff I need to worry about. Steering is fine at lower speeds in city driving so i don't think its a busted tie rod end. I think i need more down force in the front but i don't want to look ricey with bumper fins. Has anybody experienced this? I will soon be adding more power so i have to adress this issue. Thanks for the input guys...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Assuming good tire's get a Corky's breastplate.I noticed a great difference at high speed's with it.Car is much more stable, and at low speed (Autocross) it turn's in much better.

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
While you're at it, check the air pressure in the tires.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
yes- stiffen up and check allignemnt, but also

-Tire pressure can make the car squirly, then downforce to load the suspension a touch as it tends to unload a bit at speed. this can be done with wing/canard or getting the air out from under the car faster (you may want to get creative with this,... i plan to and i will post the b4 and after (considering greater vening in the bonnet and hood area).

the other thing that helps is to loose some of the wishywashy sidewal. going with a lower profile tire (especially with a larger rim) with get rid of squirlyness at speed, and increase the crispness or sharpness of turnin, and make it less floaty.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tire pressures are ok. i have the oem wheels and tires (bridgestone potenza re 104). Yes exactly, its floaty.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Not wanting to assume anything, what tire pressures are you using?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Originally posted by Jdm monkey2
tire pressures are ok. i have the oem wheels and tires (bridgestone potenza re 104). Yes exactly, its floaty.
The stock Bridgestones tramline pretty bad. I had the same issues with highway stability and it went away just by getting different tires. I've tried Nitto NT450 and Kumho Ecsta 711 tires in slightly larger sizes and the car tracks fine with them.

I think someone on here mentioned that they had damaged strut mounts that made highway speeds floaty/wobbly/scary. Try slowly going in reverse with the wheel turned full-lock. Does it creak, pop, or make any odd noises?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by sanosan34+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanosan34)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Jdm monkey2
The stock Bridgestones tramline pretty bad. I had the same issues with highway stability and it went away just by getting different tires. I've tried Nitto NT450 and Kumho Ecsta 711 tires in slightly larger sizes and the car tracks fine with them.

I think someone on here mentioned that they had damaged strut mounts that made highway speeds floaty/wobbly/scary. Try slowly going in reverse with the wheel turned full-lock. Does it creak, pop, or make any odd noises?[/b]
Nope. no poping or anything.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Thunderfrog
Assuming good tire's get a Corky's breastplate.I noticed a great difference at high speed's with it.Car is much more stable, and at low speed (Autocross) it turn's in much better.
Where's a good place to get corky's breast plate?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Originally posted by Thunderfrog
hmm may have to look into that i hate the steering wheel twitch at high speeds . . not saying i actually go fast of course :roll: :twisted:
CT

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Originally posted by Jdm monkey2+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jdm monkey2)</div>
Originally posted by sanosan34@
<!--QuoteBegin-Jdm monkey2

I think someone on here mentioned that they had damaged strut mounts that made highway speeds floaty/wobbly/scary. Try slowly going in reverse with the wheel turned full-lock. Does it creak, pop, or make any odd noises?
Nope. no poping or anything.[/b]
Mine was a little squirrelly until I got new tires and an alignment. Solid as a rock from 80 to 100. Good thing too, 80 is minimum cruising speed here during off hours traffic.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Has it occurred to you that you just may be a pussy? Perhaps speeds greater than eighty miles per hour give you the heebie jeebie I'm askeered shakes? Just a thought. Always glad to help. This is nothing to be concerned about. Some of the greatest men (and women) in history have been pussies. As soon as those testicles descend, you and your car will be just fine. Maybe.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
It is always nice when the elders weigh in with their personal experience.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Originally posted by 71spud
It is always nice when the elders weigh in with their personal experience.
lol

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It might be the alignment. I eye balled it and it looks like it has a little bit of toe out. I'll have it checked after i get the tein lowering springs.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Originally posted by Jdm monkey2
It might be the alignment. I eye balled it and it looks it has a liitle bit of toe out. I'll have it checked after i get the lowering springs form tein.
Don't forget though, he may just be a puss. Snort.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts