MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I have the heater going, the air coming out of the defroster & the 2 side vents is warm and toasty. The air coming out of the 2 center vents is noticeably less hot. This is using either the outside air or recirculating air position. The car sits outside, 24/7/52...maybe a creapy crawly critter made a home in there? Maybe I should try inserting a length of speaker wire, like a drain snake...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
It would make sense for there to be a different mix for those vents. Don't know if this is actually the case.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Sounds like some sort of blockage. My side and center vents seem to be equal as I recall in top down cold weather driving. Neither hand froze :)

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rm, why do you think that? Not arguing, just asking :)
cb, I wish I knew more about heaters :geek:

Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The defroster and side vents are for clearing the glass. The center vents are for personnel comfort. I always want the first to be max temp, regardless of the second.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I get that, but with the defroster off...
There was heat coming out of the center vents this afternoon. Could have been the
outside air being warmer, but it's just low 40's.
Oh well, it's not going to freeze me out.

Thanks for your thoughts, guys!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Mine was doing something strange a couple months ago. I think the diverters (or whatever they’re called) get stuck when left in the same position for long periods. I just went back and forth through all the settings until it seemed to work properly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Most associated heater mixing boxes have several mixing options which activate different interior air routeing doors. This is activated via cables from the Temperature Control Module in the dash. Ugly access mess to retrieve a mixing box. Plan for extra hours.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The blend cable can be moved fore/aft in its captive clip and is under the driver side up near front of the center console, so its fairly easy to unclip and adjust to get the blend where you want it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Speaking of which. I have never had a car with a better heater than the MR2. It will roast you! Makes it easy for top down driving. Toyota must have used the same heater as their trucks in these cars!

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I think the problem just might have been an "un-used for months" issue. The temp does seem to be "up", but it's not an issue, now that it's Spring. I appreciate all your thoughts!

Thank you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts