MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Another update: coilovers are on! I can't believe how easy the install was. The biggest issue I had was the dang 12mm bolt that held the brake line to the strut, haha. PB blasted the other 3 to make sure I had no issues then.

I'm waiting for the coilovers to settle. A few people in the MR2 Spyder facebook page said it could take 200 miles, or 1-2 weeks. Once they've settled, I'm planning on adjusting them a bit. As it sits, it's pretty low, but not as low as my Corolla was. That was annoyingly low. I'm still thinking it will be raised up about a quarter of an inch all around, but we'll see.

This wraps up 2020 mods. I promised my wife no coilovers or wheels until next year, but I sold a bunch of my film photography equipment to fund the coilovers early. Wheels will come next spring. For now, I'm planning on running the classic and perhaps overplayed RPF1s in silver. One downside to the Solar Yellow paint is that wheel color options are minimal. It's a good thing I like the silver/yellow combo.

Let me know what you think of the ride height!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Car looks good. After you finish setting the suspension tweaks make sure to get an alignment. Also, not to be that guy...but I can all but guarantee your LED headlights are incredibly blinding to oncoming traffic. They weren’t made for a reflector housing and the only way they won’t have glare is when they are off. Even if you tried to adjust the vertical beam they will most certainly blind oncoming traffic at night...it’s just the result of mixing 2 technologies that weren’t meant to support each other

·
Registered
2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the heads up - I definitely plan to get an alignment once all is well.

Regarding the headlights, do you think HIDs would be a better option? Something to note is that I’ve yet to be flashed at by oncoming traffic. That’s not to say they aren’t too bright, just something I’ve observed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
In the pre-facelift reflector housing there is no great upgrade to halogens that won’t glare without doing a true retrofit conversion. The reason I chose to switch to 03+ headlights is that HIDs are compatible with the projector housing without blinding the rest of the world. The light output is unbelievably better from the 03+ housings, along with the fact that the high & low beams can be used at he same time....both of which are much appreciated when I’m driving on a backroad at night.

The bottom line is putting bright lights in a reflector housing is cheaper, easier, & will still look cool in photos while giving a glaring middle finger to oncoming traffic. Switching to the 03+ lights (or doing a full retrofit of the 00-02 housing) is the right way to run more than halogen bulbs for a functional purpose. It’s obviously more money, requires wiring modifications unless MikeV is still selling his conversion harnesses, and is probably one of the best mods you can do if you frequently drive at night on unlit roads. As far as aesthetics, everyone has their own opinion but I think LED retrofits in an 00-02 housing look pretty incredible but that’s neither here nor there

Reactions: millersmr2

·
Registered
2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
In the pre-facelift reflector housing there is no great upgrade to halogens that won’t glare without doing a true retrofit conversion. The reason I chose to switch to 03+ headlights is that HIDs are compatible with the projector housing without blinding the rest of the world. The light output is unbelievably better from the 03+ housings, along with the fact that the high & low beams can be used at he same time....both of which are much appreciated when I’m driving on a backroad at night.

The bottom line is putting bright lights in a reflector housing is cheaper, easier, & will still look cool in photos while giving a glaring middle finger to oncoming traffic. Switching to the 03+ lights (or doing a full retrofit of the 00-02 housing) is the right way to run more than halogen bulbs for a functional purpose. It’s obviously more money, requires wiring modifications unless MikeV is still selling his conversion harnesses, and is probably one of the best mods you can do if you frequently drive at night on unlit roads. As far as aesthetics, everyone has their own opinion but I think LED retrofits in an 00-02 housing look pretty incredible but that’s neither here nor there
Okay, I appreciate all of this info. I’ll see if I can’t find an affordable pair of facelift headlights and try to buy this adapter as well.

·
Registered
652 Posts
That's a pretty unique item. I find myself wanting it, even though I can't imagine ever towing the Spyder with the wheels touching the ground...

·
Registered
2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That's a pretty unique item. I find myself wanting it, even though I can't imagine ever towing the Spyder with the wheels touching the ground...
Well, if I ever find myself in Georgia, you can just have it!

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you have the energy, you should make a post with detailed dimensions and pictures so that an enterprising individual could fabricate copies.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Well, if I ever find myself in Georgia, you can just have it!
I tell you what:

I drive up to Chicago every couple of weeks, that's only 90 minutes away from you.

I'll probably be up there again August 21, maybe we could meet up and I'll take that item off your hands?

·
Registered
2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I tell you what:

I drive up to Chicago every couple of weeks, that's only 90 minutes away from you.

I'll probably be up there again August 21, maybe we could meet up and I'll take that item off your hands?
Chicago is a very easy drive from me. I’ll work until about 3, but am absolutely willing to give you it. I will say this - I rounded the heck out of one of the bolts removing it and had to use a bolt extractor to get it off. If you’re okay finding a replacement bolt, I’ll include the rounded bolt for reference.

·
Registered
652 Posts
SOLD. I generally arrive in Chicago around 11pm, so I will find a spot to lay over and breakfast will be my treat on Saturday morning.

Thanks! I will be in touch a few days ahead of time.

·
Registered
2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
SOLD. I generally arrive in Chicago around 11pm, so I will find a spot to lay over and breakfast will be my treat on Saturday morning.

Thanks! I will be in touch a few days ahead of time.
I totally forgot about Chicago's travel ban on Wisconsinites. Is it possible that we meet in a northern suburb?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'll come to you, or we can meet wherever you want. I'm pretty easy to spot in my refrigerated Sprinter van
We'll figure out the exact details the day beforehand, because I pick up in Atlanta at 9am, then drive straight to ORD airport. I usually get done at ORD around 2230, so I'll come north and park for the night at Mars Cheese Castle, then we can meet somewhere for breakfast. I think I've got some MR2 magnets and/or stickers I can trade for the hitch so you won't go home empty handed... lol

·
Registered
2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
21 - 39 of 39 Posts