MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
After thinking about purchasing a new car for the last year I decided I wanted to get back to a convertible. In the past I have owned MG's, AH's and Alfa Romeo's and driven many others including older Lotus makes but currently I drive a 2001 Tacoma. I test drove a Cooper S and was considering the new roadster when I decided to see what was available used. I looked into the Miata and Honda then discovered the MR2 Spyder. I found a 2001 with 47k on it and checked it out. It met my wants so I purchased it. Completely stock and everything in very good working order. My intention is for this to be a daily driver and I will probably keep it very OEM. After spending some hours here reading many posts I decided to purchase the Che ft lower brace and Corky's BP plus change out the shifter bushings ft and rr. I was impressed and delighted with the car to begin with and want to keep the feeling of the car. IMHO these slight changes have improved upon a solid base. The car feels a bit more secure and the shift is just that much better. I have had it up a bit in speed and it felt a bit light so I ordered the chin spoiler from my local Toyota dealer and installed it the next day using sheet metal screws. The top had "ears" so I purchased Dev's strap only to find the original strap was there but not connected properly. I installed the new strap anyway. I got something wrong as the top was now harder to open and close (it has been a bit cool though). I removed the strap as I will have the top down when ever possible. I had thought about getting OEM 16" wheels for the back and moving the 15x6.5 to the front after removing the post but it seems a bit difficult to find 16's and the price of tires goes up also. I don't mind a bit of ride over performance and would rather have better tires for the $$$. Currently my intention will be to go with RE-11's when the RE-040's need to be replaced. My next item to look into is changing the front bushings I just received from Dev and have a look at the alignment. I will be looking at what camber changes will suit my driving style. The biggest change I hope to make from stock is fix a Deka ETX14 up front. I hate to fix something that isn't broke but I am also looking at the Team Moon single exhaust which would lighten up the rear a bit. I am very happy the the overall performance of the Spyder and only interested in enhancing the feel of driving the car. When the struts need replacing I will probably go with Koni's. I have yet to decide if I want to take a novice autocross class to find the limits of the car, it does sound like some fun. I don't plan to change to coil overs or lower the car more than already is.

Any way thanks to the forum and its members for all of the input helping make a great car a little better. Currently suffering from permagrin. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Welcome. Sounds like you've done your homework, and your future plan for tires and struts are both great ideas to keeping the driving feel of this car. The team moon may give a couple hp, but the sound is nice, and it does shave a few lbs from the rear of the car.

I would suggest gutting the pre-cats though with it being an 01.

·
Registered
781 Posts
RE11s are the way to go.

It sounds like you've done your homework - nice job.

I laugh though - you say it will stay OEM, then you list the 3 or 4 mods you have already done. OEM MY butt...you have moditis already.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hey, welcome aboard. I think that's the longest 1st post I've ever seen. I'll second the post above, get rid of those pre-cats. And yeah, it sounds like you've got the disease... moditis has set in around here like a leper colony.

·
Registered
138 Posts
moditis has set in around here like a leper colony.
Haha, all of the sudden I have a mental image of Spyder exiles banished to a land where they have to scream out their next mod to anyone who passes by...

"Coilovers! I want coilovers!"
"Turbo!"
"Bracing!"
and every once in a while a new guy shows up in the colony and yells "V8" only to get further exiled.

Anyways, welcome! :lol:

oh and just for the record...

"2ZZ! 2ZZ!"

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe I should have said no mods that can not be undone!

Yes I have done somethings and will do a few more so it will not be stock but I can go back if needed---NOT. My last convertible was a 1962 Alfa Romeo Guiletta Spyder Veloce, touqueless wonder that was beautiful and on a quiet night you could hear her rust. I hope lots of driving and a little of playing with it. IMHO the bracing I have done, the bushing replacements and chin spoiler have all been very worthwhile. Thanks again to the forum and members for guidance.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Haha, all of the sudden I have a mental image of Spyder exiles banished to a land where they have to scream out their next mod to anyone who passes by...

"Coilovers! I want coilovers!"
"Turbo!"
"Bracing!"
and every once in a while a new guy shows up in the colony and yells "V8" only to get further exiled.

Anyways, welcome! :lol:

oh and just for the record...

"2ZZ! 2ZZ!"
Couldnt help but laugh @ this one :D

·
Registered
544 Posts
Welcome to Spyderchat Carl! I too, decided to get back to a convertable after many years of mundane cars. My first roadster was a '62 Triumph TR4 w/ a '64 TR4A motor, Then a '62 MGB w/ electric overdrive in 3rd and 4th gear, (a cool option that I've never seen since). I got my '02 Spyder about a year ago and have been grinning ever since!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts