MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota has been making a big deal of the new Camry, showing the car bit-by-bit. But the spy shots make it look like nothing more than a refresh. I mean for a mid-size sedan, it looks a lot like a TSX. I mean the exterior styling of the new Kia Optima is like sex on wheels.

I thought Toyota was trying to get out of its beige phase. What do you think?

http://www.autotribute.com/9375/new-2012-toyota-camry-full-exterior-leaked/

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I mean the exterior styling of the new Kia Optima is like sex on wheels.
wait...what???? umm ok. The kia optima is VERY good looking for well....a kia, but I wouldn't say sex on wheels. That is reserved for a Ferrari or an Aston Martin, but a kia? no. About the camry though, a camry is a camry. It's not sporty and over nannied, no manual option pshhh, can't turn off traction control? blah, and don't even get me started on FWD. No matter how good they make it look it will always be just a camry........not that there's anything wrong with that.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok maybe I used that term in a relative sense. But seriously, Toyota has been releasing teaser photos here and there. You'd think it would look a lot better than this.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Well yeah it's beige, but I thought that was kinda the point. It's intended to be an ultra high volume car and targeted at middle class families who are going to be comparison shopping. Standard features and price are job 1, followed closely by a calm and quiet driving experience. Making a statement with the exterior would, I imagine, only have the potential to turn off these buyers. It's not like a Camry will ever become some kind of cool thing that everybody wants, so might as well make it pleasant but non threatening.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Meh, I think the last few generations of Camry's have been awesome. You see so many of them it's hard to get excited about them, but they are incredibly solid vehicles and I think at one point was beating the 3-series in acceleration tests.

It gets the job done. Even if it looked like a Ferrari 458, so many people would buy them and you'd see them everyday, eventually it would get boring. An exaggeration but familiarity breeds contempt.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Solid, reliable, long lasting, predictable.

I don't have one and don't plan on getting one.

Styling is inoffensive and non polarizing, plus it won't be horribly out of style in 10 years.

Boring, yes, but it will sell, just not to me. I agree Mr. T has to come up with some viable sports cars, but I think they're targeting a different demographic (old people, families, and rental agencies)

The Optima has a much different look than the standard box that it was, but how will that look in 10 years (maybe really unusual on the road)?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Has any Camry ever impressed you?

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
Camry and Accord unimpressive I can see that however I am intrigued but I might be in a minority.

I look at these two cars the same way as a 747 which was a colossal project for it's day and one of which connected more people on this earth. It is truly a modern marvel.

The Camry and Accord represent the best engineering that mankind has to offer for the masses of people and more money has been spend on R&D for these cars then any other automobile.
Their goal is not to be the fastest and best handling but maximize a level of quality and appeal for real people that need affordable transportation. Pushing the limits of fit and finish while lowering manufacturing costs and boosting fuel efficiency. These cars make money, lots of it so that is why it is a big deal.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
My wife's CTS was recently in an accident, and while it's being fixed, we have a rental Nissan Altima 2.5 S, which is on par with the Accord and Camry. We would rather have a higher end car, but I'll tell you I drove the Nissan to work and back last night, and I was very impressed with the power (for a 4 cyl in such a large car) as well as its road manners (ride and handling was quite good).

It's a nice, larger sedan that I would consider if I was in the market for a standard transportaion car (mine is pretty much stripped, so I'd get it fully loaded), and I was quite impressed. I haven't driven the Accord or Camry in the past.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My wife's CTS was recently in an accident, and while it's being fixed, we have a rental Nissan Altima 2.5 S, which is on par with the Accord and Camry. We would rather have a higher end car, but I'll tell you I drove the Nissan to work and back last night, and I was very impressed with the power (for a 4 cyl in such a large car) as well as its road manners (ride and handling was quite good).

It's a nice, larger sedan that I would consider if I was in the market for a standard transportaion car (mine is pretty much stripped, so I'd get it fully loaded), and I was quite impressed. I haven't driven the Accord or Camry in the past.
I saw a picture of your wife's CTS. That's the worst place to get hit.

I would agree that a lot of these mid-size sedans are well thought out and built. But honestly, I would spend a bit more over the fully loaded model to get the luxury version (Infiniti, Lexus, Acura).

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I saw a picture of your wife's CTS. That's the worst place to get hit.

I would agree that a lot of these mid-size sedans are well thought out and built. But honestly, I would spend a bit more over the fully loaded model to get the luxury version (Infiniti, Lexus, Acura).
Yeah, it sucks, but as long as the Mrs. wasn't hurt, that's what matters. We should have the car back in about 10 days or so.

·
Registered
642 Posts
for what its worth, my wife has a honda accord, 2003. It isn't much to look at, and at first drive isn't super impressive, but it sorta grows on you. I don't know what it is, but over time behind the wheel, certian things just feel good, from the click of the turn signal, to the handiling at speed, the shifting... it may not be glamorious, but the way its executed, is impressive. I'd imagine the newer models more so even.

I'm not wowed by the new camry, but did you really think you would be? seriously?

my most recent wow, was the new Sonota, that may not be sex on wheels, but damnd good looking car.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
I've always been impressed with both the Camry and Accord. Combined they generate what, about $12 BILLION a year in car sales in the US alone? How could you not be impressed with that? I could live comfortably on 10% of that.

Gimme a Camry and a couple thou in mod money (supension bits!) and I'd have.... an Accord. Huh.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Were I in the market for a sedan in the 20-28k range These would be my options.

Kia Optima Turbo. An annoyingly well put together, quick car. I drove one of these and a CTS Wagon back to back and i'd have bought the Kia, it was more comfortable with more features for less money.

26k Passat TDI. Diesel mpg, 6 spd manual, comfortable and outstanding interior. (43 mpg highway and 800 mile range expected)

And if you want to go used.

2008 Audi A4's can be had with less than 35k miles for around 19-20k. Lower mileage, higher price.

Camry isn't even on my radar, and neither is the new one.

If you want more of a fun car and less of a commuter (worse mpg, but more fun).
26k gets you a brand new WRX or a nice used STI.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts