MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Newbie here and I'm looking at a Sypder contemplating a purchase. While checking out the underside of the car, I noticed faint (but even) traces of the main body paint color on the undercarriage. I'm just curious if this is normal or evidence that the car was repainted...?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Anomaly: what year? What color is the unpainted part?

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
They should be body color, but will usually be a lighter shade and have a dull look to it.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Year 2000 silver from another thread:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I may have been paranoid- the car is red (on the main body panels) and the is a duller/fainter red on most (all?) of the undercarriave. The rest of the car suggests original finish but I had not seen this before (on other cars not spyders).

It is a 2002.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I may have been paranoid- the car is red (on the main body panels) and the is a duller/fainter red on most (all?) of the undercarriave. The rest of the car suggests original finish but I had not seen this before (on other cars not spyders).

It is a 2002.

Check the rocker panels. If someone screws up the lift points, the rocker panel will get pushed in and along the vertical seam you will notice the different color paint. Very common. The seam that has the notches in it for the lift/jacking points should be the same height from the bottom of the rocker panel to the end of the seam.

·
Registered
75 Posts
When purchasing, make sure to look at the bolts that hold the front and rear quarter panels. Look under the frunk and the bonnet. Check if there is any wear that could suggest removal. This is a pretty easy way to examine if the panels have been removed for repair.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
I'm fairly sure that the jack seams are body color '00-'02, and black '03-'05. Maybe the same with the frame rails.

Edit: confirmed this is accurate. Also, the frame rails are black only on the vertical surfaces on '03-'05...no black on '00-'02.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts